Denon x1600h - issue - No Sound but video playing well

Vikash Malya

When i turned my Denon x1600h yesterday morning, there was no sound output / audio playing in the speakers. The video is playing well as always. The display on denon is working perfectly fine. Following are aspects i checked:
1. Checked my speaker wires. Found no issues. But still went ahead and redid my wiring. Still no sound.
2. Checked all my config.. couldn’t find any thing unusual
3. Changed the source - TV, Firestick, Airplay - no sound from any input. I initially thought it could be with my TV and tried playing via Airplay. Still no sound.
4. Removed the amp and played the content directly on TV. Audio playing well.
5. Did a factory reset (hold down power and channel - / +). Retried setting up the speakers from scratch. When it came to sound test, the Setup gets stuck on “playing sound on front left” - there is no sound. It doesnt let me choose any option on the screen except for back button to exit setup.
6. There is no indication of any power issues. Denon is turning on as usual, displays the green indicator. Front display is as bright as it always has been. Even the turn on click sounds are working as usual.
7. The display also shows what output it is playing (DDSur, Stereo, Dolby etc.) when i play video / content. But still no audio.

I am clueless as to what could be the possible problem is. I am planning to take it to authorised service Center. I spoke with my dealer and he said it is quite weird and he has not heard of this issue before. Any suggestions and help in this regard would be helpful.

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update available that you can do? U said based on the content you are playing the unit display auto detects and shows DD or DTS too?

Yes. I did check that. The firmware is up to date. I have taken it to authorised service Center. They have said it will take 2 weeks before I can get it back. Hopefully this gets rectified.

Yes. I did check that. The firmware is up to date. I have taken it to authorised service Center. They have said it will take 2 weeks before I can get it back. Hopefully this gets rectified.
If it's in warranty, they will get it fixed. All the best

Just check HDMI audio setting which should be amp and not TV or 'speaker B' is activated(even a headphone plugged in) before you go to service center..

Just check HDMI audio setting which should be amp and not TV or 'speaker B' is activated(even a headphone plugged in) before you go to service center..
Yes I also thought it could be this setting. I checked this before I took to service Center. There at service Center, before they took it in for service, they did all these basic checks just to ensure that the issue was not related to settings.

I have the exact same problem...... Exactly the same diagnosis steps made. Still no sound.
As the original posting: Inbuilt Setup beeps has no output, again locked on the first test.

What was the fix ?? Can someone please update on the resolution !! Or was it simply taken to the Denon service centre

My status screen for all HDMI inputs shows: H=HDMI3/D=None (in this case a Blueray on HDMI3 port)
I am curious, as I believe that the system updated recently. Maybe this is the issue... !!! no option to downgrade.

I have the exact same problem...... Exactly the same diagnosis steps made. Still no sound.
As the original posting: Inbuilt Setup beeps has no output, again locked on the first test.

What was the fix ?? Can someone please update on the resolution !! Or was it simply taken to the Denon service centre

My status screen for all HDMI inputs shows: H=HDMI3/D=None (in this case a Blueray on HDMI3 port)
I am curious, as I believe that the system updated recently. Maybe this is the issue... !!! no option to downgrade.
I just took it to the service and they rectified it. I dont exactly remember which part, however they did replace a part to rectify the issue. Fortunately for me, when it happened, the amp was still under warranty and hence did not have to pay for it. Not sure how much it would cost when out of warranty.

I just took it to the service and they rectified it. I dont exactly remember which part, however they did replace a part to rectify the issue. Fortunately for me, when it happened, the amp was still under warranty and hence did not have to pay for it. Not sure how much it would cost when out of warranty.
Looks like I have no option then.... many thanks for the response

Hi, what was that part?

My 2200W has the same issue

Hello, which part or board they changed or repaired can you please tell because i am also facing this problem in my denon 1600 and 1200

I am facing an issue in my denon avr 1600, if i plug a hdmi input and output together sound get muted and display is not shown if i unplug the output source then hdmi inputs work properly if anyone know the solution please help me out, Thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back