Desktop amp for HE-400

Cherian

Hi,

I've been using the HE-400 from the laptop using the Fiio X3 as DAC/Amp.

It sounds fine as is, but the sound improved a whole lot with a borrowed O2 amp. I'm looking to get my own amp and have been considering the Fiio E12. It fits the bill in every way, except I don't need the portability.

Any other suggestions for a desktop headphone amp within $100-150 for the HE 400?

Why not get the 02 amp itself if you like the sound.
Also consider the Schiit Magni or Vali

Thanks for the suggestions jit_devil, but I do not have the skills to assemble an O2. Will look into the Magni/Vali option. Guess I'll have to import them as I can see no Indian outlet

Please check with Thad in the forum as I believe he got a O2 recently and happy with the purchase. He ordered directly from the JDS labs site and it was delivered pretty quickly.

Or, for a little more expense and some waiting time while it travels from USA...

JDS Labs - Objective2 Headphone AmplifierJDS Labs fully-built 02

<Crossposted with manniraj>

No, I got an ODAC. I think it took over two weeks to get to me, but that was ordinary post.

My headphone amp is the ifi iCAN, which I bought in Singapore.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

The borrowed O2 was set at maximum gain and I dint know how to switch jumpers to try the min or medium gain. So the sometimes shrill highs on the HE-400 sounded even more annoying with the amp. I'm guessing it is caused by the high gain on the O2, and should be better on low gain. But have not been able to hear and verify.

The reason I'm leaning towards the E12 over the O2 is that its said to underplay the highs and may offset the sharp highs of the phones.

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions.

Just a quick update; got the E12 and swapped the pads to velour. The pad switching worked quite well to soften the highs. The amp just got here and will take a few days to get used to it. Power it has in plenty, but at the moment the O2 is sounding better in comparison.Should give it a few more days I guess.

The reason I'm leaning towards the E12 over the O2 is that its said to underplay the highs and may offset the sharp highs of the phones.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back