Desperately seeking a system but all confused !!!

Rahul

Dear All,

Ignorance is bliss and I am just beginning to realize what that actually means.

As a complete novice to the music system world, I had hoped to gain some useful information through this website but after going through the threads I am more confused than ever. So I seek your advise (simple and straight would be highly appreciated !!!) in buying a system for myself. Any help/advise from your side would be greatly appreciated.

My requirements are follows:

1.Budget: Around 50k 60k (including installation)

2.Usage: (a) Mainly for listening to music (including MP3s downloaded from internet) approx 80% of the usage time
(b) Having the option to expand to a home theatre would be good
(c) Wouldnt mind having a good sounding system for listening to music that could also be used for a reasonably good movie watching experience.

3.Room Size: 16 feet x 14 feet with decent size opening.

4.Other information: (a) I am a complete novice to the hi-fi system of music listening. Terms like AVR, sub woofers, etc is something that I am still familiarizing myself with. So I wouldnt want a system which is very confusing to operate.
(b) I am looking for clarity and depth in sound which makes my listening experience a pleasure. Not into heavy metal or music with a lot of bass.

Keeping in the mind the above requirement, please advise on:
(a) Whether I should go in for a floor stand speaker or a book shelf or even the regular system from Sony (or related brands) would suffice ?
(b) In either case, please suggest the system configuration and make of the models.

Hope you guys can reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly help me pick the right system. Thank you so much !!! (btw I am based in Bangalore)

Dear Rahul,

Welcome to the Forum.

Since you are primarily looking for a system to primarily listen to music, we can assume you are going for a 2.0 speakers (Two front speaker - Bookshelves/Floorstanders).

Since, your source is downloaded mp3, atleast thats what I inferred, getting a good system may not improve the sound but may end up highlighting the flaws in the recording unless the mp3 or of 320kbps quality.

Can one assume that you have a player that handles music and you are only looking for speakers. If that isnt the case, you should probably look at a PC as a source with a good quality soundcard. Check out the HTPC section for more details.

For music, you could look at Wharfedales, MS, Jamo and such as options and start auditioning to come with an initial shortlist as it would help others give you advise. Most of the popular models are available for audition in Bangalore, do a search for dealers and the speaker brand and bangalore and you should get the results.

hehe ya, the best advice i can give you is to stop listening to MP3s. That would be a first step to improving the quality of the audio that you experience.

For 50-60k there are a lot of options. I myself am just coming to the end of putting together a setup that is costing me around 40k (but if not for the fact that i'd gone the used route, something similar might have been more like 50-60k).

For source and amplifier you should consider brands like Marantz, NAD and Cambridge Audio. The cheapest good source you can get new is probably the Cambridge Audio DVD89 for 10k (or less). Another option is a marantz CD5001 which is available for 11k or so in a few places (it's a discontinued model). Otherwise the 340C from cambridge, the 5003 from marantz and the C515 from NAD are the other cheap options, the cambridge and marantz are about 15k, no idea about the NAD.

For the amplifier and speakers the size of your listening room would be an essential piece of information. For speakers you can have a look at a couple of threads including one of mine:

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3332-budget-speakers-auditioned-noobs-take.html

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/5121-favourite-speakers-under-inr-20k.html

These look at speakers around or below 20k, which would fit into your budget.

Dear Rahul,

Welcome to the Forum.

Since you are primarily looking for a system to primarily listen to music, we can assume you are going for a 2.0 speakers (Two front speaker - Bookshelves/Floorstanders).

Since, your source is downloaded mp3, atleast thats what I inferred, getting a good system may not improve the sound but may end up highlighting the flaws in the recording unless the mp3 or of 320kbps quality.

Can one assume that you have a player that handles music and you are only looking for speakers. If that isnt the case, you should probably look at a PC as a source with a good quality soundcard. Check out the HTPC section for more details.

For music, you could look at Wharfedales, MS, Jamo and such as options and start auditioning to come with an initial shortlist as it would help others give you advise. Most of the popular models are available for audition in Bangalore, do a search for dealers and the speaker brand and bangalore and you should get the results.

Hey Sud,

Thanks for the input buddy....

My source of music will be both CD's and downloaded MP's... As I am going to start building my system from scratch, all the options are open and that's where ur advise as an expert becomes important for me....

Given my requirement, please suggest whether you think:

1. PC or a player is the right source for music and playing movies ?
2. Should i go in for a floor stand or bookshelf ? Or if there not too much difference in sound quality an off-the-shelf music system (like sony, etc) is also fine ?
3. Should i go in for a 2.0 or a 2.1 or 5.1 ?
4. And in case, please do suggest the make and model which you think could work for me so that I get some kind of direction. (I my earlier post i had mentioned about my usage and some additional information).

Looking forward for all ur help .... thanks again ....

Hey Sud,

Thanks for the input buddy....

My source of music will be both CD's and downloaded MP's... As I am going to start building my system from scratch, all the options are open and that's where ur advise as an expert becomes important for me....

Given my requirement, please suggest whether you think:

1. PC or a player is the right source for music and playing movies ?
2. Should i go in for a floor stand or bookshelf ? Or if there not too much difference in sound quality an off-the-shelf music system (like sony, etc) is also fine ?
3. Should i go in for a 2.0 or a 2.1 or 5.1 ?
4. And in case, please do suggest the make and model which you think could work for me so that I get some kind of direction. (I my earlier post i had mentioned about my usage and some additional information).

Looking forward for all ur help .... thanks again ....

For, music purpose a 2.1/2.0 system would suffice. But, for better movie watching experience u wud need 5.1 system.

In ur budget u should go for Yamaha 463/465 OR denon 1509/1610 AVR.

For speakers u have following good options.

1. Wharfe 9.2, Wharfe WH2 cne+surr, Wharfe pc10/sw150 sub.
2. Energy take classic 5.1 package.
3. Mission m34i, mission wh3 cen+surr, Mission 3as sub.
4. Jamo 606.

If u plan for 2.0/2.1 system, Cambridge Audio 540 Stereo Amp+ Morduant Short Avant 904i/906i is good option.

Since u r into music, dont buy any AVR or 5.1. home theatre. Go a for Hi-fi system. A hi-fi system consists of a source (CD player or DVD player or Comp soundcard output), an amplifier, and a pair of speakers.

For your budget, i suggest a bookshelf pair vis-a-vis Floorstanders. When u have a limited budget, it is better to put that money into driver units instead of the cabinets. I understand your budget is 50-60K. What all wd it cover? Do u already have a CD/DVD player or/and a computer?

If there is a scope of your increasing your budget in the coming months, then dont buy the soundcard now. I suggest u buy the amp and speakers now with your budget.

Buy Monitor Audio RS1 (excellent speakers), may cost 30-35K
And try to audition NAD/Marantz/CambridgeAudio amps in the budget of 25K, and see which matches your taste.

Since u r into music, dont buy any AVR or 5.1. home theatre. Go a for Hi-fi system. A hi-fi system consists of a source (CD player or DVD player or Comp soundcard output), an amplifier, and a pair of speakers.

For your budget, i suggest a bookshelf pair vis-a-vis Floorstanders. When u have a limited budget, it is better to put that money into driver units instead of the cabinets. I understand your budget is 50-60K. What all wd it cover? Do u already have a CD/DVD player or/and a computer?

If there is a scope of your increasing your budget in the coming months, then dont buy the soundcard now. I suggest u buy the amp and speakers now with your budget.

Buy Monitor Audio RS1 (excellent speakers), may cost 30-35K
And try to audition NAD/Marantz/CambridgeAudio amps in the budget of 25K, and see which matches your taste.

Hey KHK,

At this point, I have a computer (Dell Inspirion 1525) and a Philips (basic CD/DVD/MP3 player) available with me.

I would like to keep my budget to 50k - 55k to cover for everything and get the maximum 'bang for the buck' now without thinking of spending in the near future.

Looking at my budget, is it advisable to buy a bookshelf or a floor stand (as i read in this forum that floor stand are better than bookshelf only after a certain price point) ?

Let me know !!!

Hey guys,

Just auditioned the CA CD player and Amplifier (not sure of the model no.) with the MS Avant 904i and MS Avant 908i (both floorstand).

My thoughts - Both the speakers seemed to offer clarity of sound but they seemed dull and lacked the depth i was looking for. The MS 908i was a notch better than the MS 904i in terms of its depth and the bass operation (the three way design clearing helping here). But for me both the speakers where just not able to 'fill up the room with the music' ........ :(

Guess more auditioning awaits me ..... :)

Let me know what u guys think or did i just audition the wrong speakers ???? Perhaps look at bookshelf rather than floorstand for the budget i am working on ????

Ignorance indeed is bliss. The other kind of bliss happens when you are satisfied with your system:). That is easier said than done.

I would recommend a PC based system with an integrated amplifier playing through a pure stereo system (augmented by a subwoofer). This should take care of both music and movies.

Choice of speakers and amps is very wide and is often personal. I would recommend auditioning and then based on your specific likes and dislikes we can narrow things down.

If you do not like operating PC's then a CD Player may be the order of the day.

Hey guys,

Just auditioned the CA CD player and Amplifier (not sure of the model no.) with the MS Avant 904i and MS Avant 908i (both floorstand).

My thoughts - Both the speakers seemed to offer clarity of sound but they seemed dull and lacked the depth i was looking for. The MS 908i was a notch better than the MS 904i in terms of its depth and the bass operation (the three way design clearing helping here). But for me both the speakers where just not able to 'fill up the room with the music' ........ :(

Let me know what u guys think or did i just audition the wrong speakers ???? Perhaps look at bookshelf rather than floorstand for the budget i am working on ????

I would look at bookshelves for the budget mentioned. The lower end floorstanders often end up compromising too much. And even after that fitting them into the average Indian room can get tough.

Do try listening to bookshelves from Dali, Usher, EPOS, PSB etc. and see how it goes.

hey Rahul,

what do you mean by dull exactly? and depth? are you essentially talking about bass?

Hey guys,

hey Rahul,

what do you mean by dull exactly? and depth? are you essentially talking about bass?

hey psychotropic,

Not exactly talking abt the bass aspect of it... by dull and depth i mean that the sound produced by the speaker just seem to fall flat for me.... For example, when i was listening to the vocals and guitaring of an Eagles soundtrack on the speaker, i liked the sound produced but i was just not able to feel it in my blood ... It was like something was holding me back .... If u know what i mean ....

Please excuse my ignorance of terminology when compared to other users of this site .... :)

Last edited:
Rahul,

@ lower budgets, I prefer BS to FS. In fact, below 40K, I recommend BS.
keep aside 4.5k for Asus Sonar DX card. another 2-3k for ICs and cables.

So budget for 25-30k for speakers and 20-25k for an amp. try to buy both from the same dealer. go and audition to your hearts content. don't buy anything till u fall in love with the sound. and do take your own CDs and MP3s to audition, so that u know the music well.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back