Digital Audio: The Line Between Audiophiles and wannabes

A very contentious topic .... audio is a very subjective hobby IMHO ...some people only would believe in scientifically verifiable - measurable results - but not two human ears perceive audio in the same fashion. To call them names - highly inappropriate!

I agree with this perspective and the question is if one is looking at music as an equivalent of a photograph which captures the image as close to reality as possible or a Painting which gives a vivid view of the music..of course the music can be detailed/ dynamic and all that in either case.

We can measure and compare (with reality) in a photograph while we do not know how to measure the feeling a painting evokes...an analogy on that could also be wine or dessert whose joy cannot be objectively measured but needs to be tasted

Last edited:
I have a friend who is a professional recordist with a studio at home.
He uses the same model monitors for mixing as well as listening.
Listening setup in a different room.

He uses flat response while mixing and a combination of filters and PEQ while listening to achieve the house curve he likes.

Keeping the board respectful is absolutely needed, but we might be going overboard with this. Unless this term is used for an individual, or implied for an individual in a direct/deterministic conversation I perceive this term as harmless.

PS: I have noticed worse terms/ phrases used at this forum, which didn't invite scrutiny. May be it has something to do with how reputed the poster is? If that's the case, that's what needs redressal. If not, may be it's because it wasn't reported? Something seems off!

Forums should be balanced. Entitlement is just as bad as disrespect/ disrespectfulness. Leaning on any one side too much would not do good in the long run. Just my ¢2 (Or ₹2, if you prefer) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
PS: I have noticed worse terms/ phrases used at this forum, which didn't invite scrutiny. May be it has something to do with how reputed the poster is? If that's the case, that's what needs redressal. If not, may be it's because it wasn't reported?
We don't get to read every post. Reporting is what would help us in cleaning up wherever required. Being a bit proactive could've set things right isn't it?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back