Digital coaxial cable for metrum octave mk2

himadri

Hi
What digital coax cable are metrum octave users using for connecting CD player to the DAC? Have tried the metrum with my old pioneer DVD player and marantz CD 6004(on loan) so far and observed that the metrum is transport and cable sensitive.(The marantz sounds warmer). Have used entry level (MX/bluerigger) coaxial and optical cables and the coaxial sounds smoother.BNC is the preferred connection at the metrum end but due to lack of BNC terminations,the metrum supplied BNC/RCA connector is being used.Internet literature suggests the following for the cable:
a)true 75 ohms
b)solid core of copper with al cladding and a outer layer of similar material.
c)teflon shielding for inner and outer core.
d)minimum length 1.5 mts.
What are the suggestions upto around 100$?
cheers

DH Labs cable is nice. You can get the bulk cable and terminate or get a terminated cable. You will have to order from US though

You can also check Audicadabra online store and see if they have anything.

If you can increase budget to about USD 200, Blackcat Superstar is fabulous

Last edited:
The Belden 1855A makes excellent 75 ohm SPDIF cable. I use 1.5m length terminated in RCAs. Another excellent cable is the Mogami 2964 which is also true 75 ohm cable. I use 1.5m. Of the two, I like the Mogami slightly more.

Thanks Prem and JLS
Prem , DH Labs d 750 silversonic fits the specs to the T( solid core, silver coating , 2 layers etc.) but Im not sure about their availability.
JLS, have you tried the Mogami on metrum or know anyone who has tried it on metrum?What about the availability of BNC termination at metrum end?
Anyone using JPS Labs digital interconnects? Im using their speaker cables and they are impressive.
cheers

I have used JPS. It's a little lean compared to DH Labs. DH Labs is very organic sounding

JLS, have you tried the Mogami on metrum or know anyone who has tried it on metrum?What about the availability of BNC termination at metrum end?

Not tried on Metrum.

For BNC connection, you can order one end as BNC and other end as RCA (since most sources have female RCA socket for SPDIF out). Promedia will be happy to make it for you exactly as per your requirement.

Otherwise, you can also buy a Neutrik make RCA-F to BNC-M adapter. IIRC, cost was some 150 rupees or so. I use this adapter since my CD player SPDIF output is BNC. I feel this is the more universal case since the larger majority of SPDIF ports are RCA. If you have to buy digital cable with one end terminated in BNC, your choices will drastically reduce.

Last edited:
The Belden 1855A makes excellent 75 ohm SPDIF cable. I use 1.5m length terminated in RCAs. Another excellent cable is the Mogami 2964 which is also true 75 ohm cable. I use 1.5m. Of the two, I like the Mogami slightly more.

Just for info - I compared the two cables mentioned above and the Mogami trounces the Belden thoroughly. So I'd like to revise my earlier opinion.

Look at QED Performance Coaxial will beat cables twice or thrice its price.

Last edited:
The Kimber D60 is a tried and tested design. The Metrum is a warm sounding DAC. Probably something like the Kimber KS2020 if you can swing the budget. Its neutral and clean sounding.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back