Digital connection help

kneo

I recently bought a Toslink to Coaxial converter for connecting my WDTV to my existing Philips LX3600D/69 HTiB.

I was under the impression that my HTiB had a digital coaxial IN by reading the manual here (this one has Coax IN). It was not possible for me to physically check the ports at the back of the DVDP because of the messy setup that I had in my house. But after procuring the converter, I find to my dismay that the DVDP that I have does not have any coax IN. Check the manual here (no coax IN)!

Both of them are manuals & product sheets of LX3600D !!! One of them has a coax IN and the other one does not. The one that I have does not have it.

So now I am back to square one. I have WDTV and want to have a DTS experience. What is the cheapest route to having this experience. From my vague knowledge i am assuming that I can get myself a Pio 610 and invest in a VFM 2.1 speaker set to begin with. This would be the cheapest option, isn't it?

My Philips HTiB is old and gives me a lot of problems and given a chance, I'd remove it completely. I am not that much into music and even a basic 2.1 system would make me happy. My aim is to ultimately be able to build a 5.1 system. I am okay with it being entry level - am not much discerning when it comes to audio.

Last edited:
kneo: The manual says it has a Digital In which means you can connect your WD TV to it via Digital In. DId u check the HTIB?

I did check the HTiB - but there's no digital IN connection there. In fact, I've posted two links in my post and if you see the back panel image in both are different !!! That is what stumped me.

I am assuming that you will dump your current HTiB.

So now I am back to square one. I have WDTV and want to have a DTS experience. What is the cheapest route to having this experience. From my vague knowledge i am assuming that I can get myself a Pio 610 and invest in a VFM 2.1 speaker set to begin with. This would be the cheapest option, isn't it?
You'll also need an Amp or an AVR

My aim is to ultimately be able to build a 5.1 system. I am okay with it being entry level - am not much discerning when it comes to audio.
You can go the seperates route, get an AVR + 2.0/2.1 now and the rest 3.1/3.0 later or go for a HTiB from Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon now. These HTiBs will have seperate components which are loosely coupled (unlike your current stuff) and you could upgrade the speakers later also. You may want to go for a HTiB with an active sub rather than a passive one.

I checked the back panel image of both links u pasted. They both are same and have a digital link,. Did u post the wrong link?

Yes. It was a case of same links.

I've edited it - they are two different manuals of the same product. Maybe they are from different countries (can that be the issue?).

I've confirmed that my current HTiB does not have a digital IN. Now comes the next part of the problem.

Do I repair my HTiB (requires lens upgrade) and continue using it for DVDs (it is not bad when it comes to playing DVD - I am satisfied with it)? I just want to know my upgrade options for 15K. I'd be using my HTiB for 70/30 (movies/music) and am not a discerning user. I'd be satisfied with DTS for movies and regular stereo for music.

1. Remove the HTiB (would get peanuts for it) and buy myself a Pio 610 and 2.1 speakers which can later on be upgraded to 5.1

2. Repair the HTiB and get myself a new pair of 2.1 speakers that can take digital IN. I don't see this as a good plan as I'd rather have a 5.1 output from the WDTV at some stage and don't want to have too many speakers.

3. Get myself a AVR and repair my HTiB. The problem with this is the custom speaker connectors for the Philips HTiB. They are not the regular RCA connectors. So have to get the connectors converted to RCA (I don't know whether I can myself do it) and connect everything to the AVR. But I am not sure whether the 5.1 speakers that came along with the HTiB can be used for this (it has a passive sub which is actually pretty sub-standard !)

4. Any other options that I have?

Well for 15k,you have very few options.

Pio >stereo out >Htib in -6.5k
Another HTib with digital in say Philips 3565(15k)

Option 1: Increase your budget get a better HTiB or HT
Option 2: Get a Philips HTiB like spiro suggested, its good
Option 3: Look at buying second hand HT systems, for 15k you might get a good one
Option 4: Resist the temptation and wait till you can afford more and build a good system, start with AVR and 2 bookshelves and build on it slowly.

I vote for Option 4

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back