digital conversion of old vinyls

belsarer

Hi,
I have some collection of old vinyls. I wish to convert it to .wav format. I have a sound card & necessary software in my PC. But on external hardware front what type of set up is required ? A TT with line out is enough? will if have good results after conversion ?

this conversion, I am feeling necessary, due to poor quality of CDs available even from SaReGaMa who actually have good collection, but they sell anacceptable quality CDs.

Hi,
I have some collection of old vinyls. I wish to convert it to .wav format. I have a sound card & necessary software in my PC. But on external hardware front what type of set up is required ? A TT with line out is enough? will if have good results after conversion ?

this conversion, I am feeling necessary, due to poor quality of CDs available even from SaReGaMa who actually have good collection, but they sell anacceptable quality CDs.

If you have a TT with line out, and a sound card with 2 RCA line in - that is all you need.

Connect the TT to an integrated or preamp (through phono input), and connect the auxiliary or audio out from the preamp or integrated amp to the sound card. You can, of course, connect the TT directly to the sound card. In most cases the output from the TT will be too weak for the sound card to recognise. There are some new TTs available with a USB out. These can be connected to the computer directly.

IF you want to move one step froward, you have to use a sound editing software such as Sound Forge or Audacity to remove scratch noises form each song. There is also a software called Blaze that has been made specifically for recording from a tape and an LP/EP.

Happy conversion.

Cheers

Hi, i agree with venkat.

Option2: You can also make use of video editing machines such as Matrox, Avid, DPS Velocity and Final cut pro to record on the system then use Adobe Audition or Sound Forge (Sony Sound Forge). You can capture audio without any loss of quality. I have converted most of my old vinyls to cd through DPS velocity software & removed deep scratches using Sound Forge's pencil tool. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Anil

There's actually a much simpler, 'one-box' approach.

I hook up the line-in of my iRiver H340 jukebox player to the TT phono preamp output using a Y cable (L-R RCA to minijack). The iRiver performs recording in WAV or mp3 upto 320 kbps with on-the-fly encoding, and allows for optimisation towards least distortion (line in volume etc.). You can monitor in real time using headphones plugged into the phone out of the player.

This precludes the need for a superior soundcard (the stock ones that come with consumer PCs are rubbish for this purpose), PC, software etc. I have used my iRiver with good results, archiving close to 50 LPs till date.

While the model I'm referring to is now out of production, you could scout around for a suitable alternative, more so if you're in the market for a DAP as well. Of the currently available options, Archos would fit the bill fantastically, with mammoth hard disk capacities and video as added bonus. Cowon I think also makes some nice players that would be suitable.

Hope this helps.

Persiflage

Hi,

You could try this if you prefer for better SQ and if your budget survives it...

Hi,

Please check out the recently introduced Denon TT with USB available at Profx priced at around 19k.

Since the source is Analogue, I recommend you try and encode in 24 bit 192khz sample rate for the first conversion. The CDDA burner should automatically down-sample when transcoding to my knowledge.

Just a thought.

Regards

Oh yes, it is phono USB. I have been converting my vinyls using this TT & GoldWave to edit it. Fairly OK for me.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back