Dilemma.

Zulu95

I have my original Quad 34/405 MKII setup I bought new 30 years ago. It was upgraded a few years ago to a 99/909 system because we moved and the audio room tripled in size.
I decided to sell my old system a few weeks ago and was going to put it on ebay so I ran through reforming the caps and then gave it a test. Crackles and pops, down one channel but no magic smoke or the magic fried electronics smell. The side that is down is barely audible. Checked all the leads etc and all look OK.
Pulled the 405 and connected my M-audio digital recorder directly to the input and it played great. Problems are in the 34.
So I am left with a system I still love like an old dog. The cost of repair would never be recouped but I do not want to junk it. I think somebody could still get many good years out of it after repair but I just do not know anybody worthy of it.

Maybe i missed the part about if you would like to palm the system 'as is' to someone who can fix it/get it fixed or if you'd like to get it repaired first and then decide if to keep or palm it off..
What is the system location where repair service is sought?

I have my original Quad 34/405 MKII setup I bought new 30 years ago. It was upgraded a few years ago to a 99/909 system because we moved and the audio room tripled in size.
I decided to sell my old system a few weeks ago and was going to put it on ebay so I ran through reforming the caps and then gave it a test. Crackles and pops, down one channel but no magic smoke or the magic fried electronics smell. The side that is down is barely audible. Checked all the leads etc and all look OK.
Pulled the 405 and connected my M-audio digital recorder directly to the input and it played great. Problems are in the 34.
So I am left with a system I still love like an old dog. The cost of repair would never be recouped but I do not want to junk it. I think somebody could still get many good years out of it after repair but I just do not know anybody worthy of it.
Where did you buy Quad 99/909 from? I read a lot about Quad sound and seems it'll fit my sound reauirement. However, can't see any Quad on sale apart from eBay UK site.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back