Dipole or bookshelves for surround?

Murlidher

Hi

Since I do not see any active discussion on this topic, I am interested to know people's view on which type of speaker is best for rear/surround for your HT - Dipole or Bookshelves ?

I have read in few online discussions on this topic and there seems to be no conclusive outcome of this. There is a general theory that Bipole/Dipole speakers are more appropriate for movies and Bookshelves for mutli channel music.

While I have been listening to my surrounds through my bookshelves, do you think the movie watching experience would go to another level if I switch to Dipole speakers.

looking forward to an active discussion on this.

Regards

I have auditioned speakers having monopole/dipole switch in both modes and frankly speaking I didn't notice a huge difference as such but I guess that also depends on the room and the content being played.
For creating an ambiance, I'd say that the bipoles/dipoles work better and for directional sounds normal speakers work better.
Theoretically however, the dipoles seem to be better suited for movies.

One other off topic thing is that Dolby Atmos works better with all monopole speakers.

Dipole/Bipole are tricky in terms of placement and some other factors...

and as far as i know the bookshelves are best for Surrounds.

Surrounds dont carry too much sound if you notice well it will be many times for a short period.

AFAIK Center and front channels are very important...!

Surrounds just some special sounds ! But definitely good addition to the overall system.

Depending on room dimensions.....

From my observations dipoles are good if

* Assuming your listening position is on the lengthy side of the room (If your length of the room is more than the width/depth of room)....
* if you don't prefer surround back channels...
* if the rear wall is too close to the speaker, then Dipoles not a good choice...
* from the place where Dipoles are placed, the rear wall should be atleast a good 4 - 5 feet away...

Bookshelves/satellites are good if

* if you have a wide room (If your width of the room is more than the length of the room)....
* Even if you have/ don't have surround back channels....

Any suggestions about combination of both in a 7.1 setup assuming the room has got more length than width (which is true in most of the cases). I mean rear-bookshelf + surrounds-dipole....

Any suggestions about combination of both in a 7.1 setup assuming the room has got more length than width (which is true in most of the cases). I mean rear-bookshelf + surrounds-dipole....

Yes..You could use surround dipoles + rear bookshelf in a 7.1 config (I don't have first hand experience)...

But with surround back speakers, i feel it would be good to use BS for all surrounds for more direct sounds than dipoles..

One more thing that I'd like to add is that there seems to be a general shift towards directional sounds in movies and games these days which are better taken care of by monopoles.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back