Direct Stream Digital - The New Addiction

We have only one life. Get the SACD (and DVD-A) player, if you can.

Great philosophy. The Oppo BDP players have always intrigued me but this will have to be in the far future (if at all). Right now, 2-channel consumes me. My (el cheapo) DVD player had gone kaput (ages ago) and I am not repairing or buying another one. My TV rarely gets switched on. But right now I am trying to simplify and tidy up my audio setup, so two new boxes (Bluray/DVD-A/DVD-A source and a multichannel processor) are hardly welcome:eek: I do believe that if one must invest in an SACD player, one also has to get surround setup to hear multichannel recordings.

Let us just hope that whatever new formats come in the future, as they surely will, they come with added sound quality and convenience to us listeners as the priority, rather than yet another round of getting us to pay again for what we already have, but this time with restrictions --- which is probably the focus of the media companies.

I do believe that if one must invest in an SACD player, one also has to get surround setup to hear multichannel recordings.

I do hope you understand that SACD is two channels only. If you talking about DVD-A, any DVDP can play that.

Cheers

I do hope you understand that SACD is two channels only. If you talking about DVD-A, any DVDP can play that.

Cheers

I have this SACD: Amazon.com: Gaucho (Hybr): Steely Dan: Music

It has CD stereo, SACD stereo and surround SACD in the same disc. I think this is what they call hybrid SACD. There is even an extra booklet from Sony and Philips that extols the virtues of SACD, and helpfully explains with a diagram the recommended ITU positioning of the speakers for surround sound (this one, though the diagram is a little bit different in the booklet but subtended angles are same).

Venkat:

Both SACD and DVD-A are lossless formats and both are multi-channel. To make backward compatibility, both have the option of additional layers. SACD has CD layer that can play on normal CD players. DVD-Audio has a DVD-Video layer with 5.1 lossy DD track to make it compatible on any dvd player. But to play full DVD-Audio lossless, 96/24 or 192/24 content, you would need a DVD-Audio player.

I found two more SACD titles I have that are surround:

1) Juan Diego Florez - Una Furtiva Lagrima, Decca 470 628-2. This has SACD Surround Sound, SACD Stereo, and CD Audio.

2) Joshua Bell - Tchaikovsky - Berliner Philharmoniker - Michael Tilson Thomas cond, Sony Classical, SH 94829. This also has three different programs.

I also found a couple Water Lily Acoustics records which are hybrid SACDs.

Looks like you already have 4 or 5 SACD's. Get that SACD player and start playing. :D

I am sure you will get a lot of audio quality improvement by adding an SACD player. Rather than those "Other" oil technologies yo are seeking. ;) :p

From whatever I have read on the internet so far, sacd is in no way superior to regular audio cd. people might hear a difference because of a using better mastering techniques etc, but there is no inherent advantage of sacd and most of the people even fail to differentiate between the two.
People who have the players can take the analog out, feed it to the comp and sample it at cd quality using a good quality soundcard, play both and test. lets see if you hear a difference.

Sony is again trying to peddle another format. How can I take the word of a guy who designed sacd:). Isnt sony the same company that installed rootkits (hard to remove too) on people's computers that put some of their cds in the computer.

The next big thing in audio is not going to be the source or the bit rate or the sample size etc. it will come from either better recording mechanisms or from better speakers. Sources are there where they can be already, no more progress is possible. You can take 50 million samples and use 5000 bits, it aint gonna sound better. period.

Last edited:
I am fairly happy with what CDs have to offer in terms of audio quality. Whatever SACDs I have were never consciously bought because they are SACDs. I bougth them for the titles. After that, the label.

My one wish is that albums are better mixed and recorded, with a healthy respect for preserving dynamics and overall clarity. Listen to any Kelly Clarkson album (a very good singer, IMO) - everything is so loud, it fatigues you quickly. I think a better recorded, mixed and mastered record is the one thing that makes the biggest difference to listening pleasure. In this respect, as per my limited experience, jazz records tend to be better than other genres (leaving aside western classical which I think most of us will agree are the best in terms of sheer sonics).

I am fairly happy with what CDs have to offer in terms of audio quality. Whatever SACDs I have were never consciously bought because they are SACDs. I bougth them for the titles. After that, the label.

My one wish is that albums are better mixed and recorded, with a healthy respect for preserving dynamics and overall clarity. Listen to any Kelly Clarkson album (a very good singer, IMO) - everything is so loud, it fatigues you quickly. I think a better recorded, mixed and mastered record is the one thing that makes the biggest difference to listening pleasure. In this respect, as per my limited experience, jazz records tend to be better than other genres (leaving aside western classical which I think most of us will agree are the best in terms of sheer sonics).

and blues too:)

how to output dsd from a laptop/ computer?
what is more prominent with DSD? Stereo or surround? For stereo, any stereo dacs out there?

how to output dsd from a laptop/ computer?
what is more prominent with DSD? Stereo or surround? For stereo, any stereo dacs out there?

Not sure about which DAC decodes DSD but dCS has an upsampler that upsamples 16 bit/44.1 kHz files to DSD bit rate.

Sonore is offering a DSD convertor. Here is what they are saying about it.

"The Signature Series Sonore DSD Converter is an asynchronous USB converter with SPDIF BCN output. The converter can output regular PCM up to 192 sample rate and convert DSD2PCM at 88.2 or 176.4 sample rate. The DSD2PCM conversion is done on board to eliminate computer CPU load and is compliant with the DSD over PCM (DoP) v1 specification. The DSD2PCM conversion incorporates proprietary filters. The converter does not use USB power and is instead powered by a low noise linear power supply. HDMI I2S output compatible with the PS Audio specification is available as an optional upgrade. "

DSD is slowly coming to main stream. Pioneer is offering DSD decoding and processing in their SC-67 and SC-68 models.

SC-68 - 9.2-Channel Network Ready AV Receiver | Pioneer Electronics USA

Cheers

The reason I went in for the Ayre C-5 player which plays CD, SACD, DVDA and other formats, all in 2-channel stereo mode only. I can't listen to music in surround format as my personal viewpoint is it is so unnatural. I also have the same music in quite a few SACDs as well as standard CDs and let me tell you, there is a world of difference. However, you need a high resolution system downstream in amplification and speakers to really enjoy the DSD through SACD, otherwise it makes no sense.
Just my 2 cents, please, if you don't mind.

murali

Keep an open mind Murali. Have you ever heard a 5.1 music recorded and edited for 5.1? It will beat a 2.0 any day. After all, we spend so much money to be 'enveloped' by sound when it can be done so easily. This is like searching for something, when it is right in front of you.

Unfortunately 5.1 music is not easily available. I do foresee a day when all music will be recorded for multi channel. With Blu-ray it should be so easy.

Cheers

Last edited:
Keep an open mind Murali. Have you ever heard a 5.1 music recorded and edited for 5.1? It will beat a 2.0 any day. After all, we spend so much money to be 'enveloped' by sound when it can be done so easily. This is like searching for something, when it is right in front of you.

Unfortunately 5.1 music is not easily available. I do foresee a day when all music will be recorded for multi channel. With Blu-ray it should be so easy.

Cheers

I have heard music through surround format but as I said earlier, to me, it sounded so unnatural. No offence meant here, just my opinion. Movie sounds are different, I enjoy all those effects through surrounds, no doubt. And a good stereo setup recreates all that music soundstage one is supposed to hear thorugh the pair of ears, even those out-of-phase notes thrown right behind you in recordings of Roger Waters and others.
Ever tried to figure out (scientifically) why God provided us only a pair of ears, that too in the widest apart on our skull unlike the closer spaced eyes and nostrils? With hands even wider, but the legs closer together? You will find the answers.
Sad to understand that you have now moved out of being a moderator. Good luck in your new business.

cheers.
murali

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back