Disillusioned. Any suggestions??

kash72

I recently upgraded my audio equipment to Parasound Halo Hint 6 and Rotel RB1590, coupled with a Cambridge CXN V2. And it was aghast!! The music was linear, had clarity although but really lacked the dynamism required for a 350Watts power amplifier!! I assume the preamp stage from the Parasound is weak. Any thoughts? Did I miss something? I came here for serious answers.

Pls reach out to Raghupb. He has a Parasound and is very happy with it. He may be able to guide you.
Which speakers are you using them with and the size of your room ?

Very little to go by the OP. I am not familiar with CXN or Rotel.
Parasound, I've heard Halo P5, but not owned it.
Try these combinations:
1. CXN + Parasound + Speakers (CXN is streamer/player and DAC)
2. CXN + Parasound + Speakers (CXN is streamer/player only)

What are the speakers?
What do you mean by preamp stage is weak?
What is your definition of dynamism? Dynamic range in content or peppy/party like sound from system?

Reach out to @Yelamanchili manohar and @drkrack (Hyd FMs)
They used to own Parasound HINT earlier, IIRC.

Cheers,
Raghu

@OP What Speakers and Cables? Room Size?
How have you connected the Cxn to Hint6? Why do you want to add Rotel Power amp, isn't Hint6 adequate for driving your speakers ?
Is the digital Preamp function in Cxn v2 Streamer is On?

What's your Source? If Cxn is your Source, are you using xlr connections?

How have you connected the Cxn to Hint6? Why do you want to add Rotel Power amp, isn't Hint6 adequate for driving your speakers ?

Speakers are Focal Chorus 826D. The purpose of adding Rotel was to bring out the depth Parasound wasnt able to deliver. The digital preamp is on in Cxn v2, and feeds Parasound in a balanced mode.

Cables are mediocre Amazon basics

I think you should do the following:
  1. First take a deep breathe and relax. A combination of Parasound, Rotel and CA cannot give you bad music. Have that basic confidence.
  2. Check all your wiring again. Maybe you have some speakers wire out of phase. Draw up a simple circuit diagram from your source to the speakers.
  3. Now check you diagram and check every connection is properly made. If you doubt a single connection, remove the cable and try something different. Mark off you diagram as you check the cables. Clean every connection point with a bit of IPA, dry the connectors and connect again. If there is a bit of black on the speaker cable ends, you should strip off the end and reveal new raw cable. Or, you can always use IPA and clean the ends.
  4. Get a set of music you are positive about to deliver the musicality and sound stage you desire. Listen to the output, if possible with headphones. Make sure the source is of high quality. Make sure you use the same source in the system.
  5. Play the music you have shortlisted and listen to it on the system.
Repeat 1 to 5 till you have things in place.

I am sure there is something silly somewhere that is hindering the system. It will go away by a process of elimination.

Cheers

The digital preamp is on in Cxn v2
Disable digital Preamp mode, Control Volume via Parasound Hint6
Try Connecting Coax Out from Cxn v2 Streamer to Hint6 Coaxial Input and see whether you like it better.

First of all Focals are pretty easy to drive, Hint6 should be enough get Rotel out of the equation ; one thing I have learnt with my Aria 926 floorstanders ownership is, they need at least 3 ft from either walls to sound optimum. You'll get depth and details to a very good extent. Experiment with speakers positioning, watch YT guides for the same. Room size and seating position diagram will be much helpful for us to give you suggestions. Once you get these things sorted out you can tweak further with better cables.

Cables are mediocre Amazon basics
Unfortunately they wouldn't do justice to the kind of setup you are having, at least get basic Studio quality cables.
For
Power Cables : Lapp Cable SF Trueline Mk2 on Hifimart.com
ICs & Speaker Cables from Mogami/ Belden should be a basic investment.
Keep us posted!

In addition to the excellent advice given by FMs above please do a rethink on the amazon basics cables. IMHO cables make a HUGE difference especially to a high-end resolving system ! IME power and speaker cables made all the difference followed by the interconnects.

I am a "new converted partial" believer in cables do make a difference - however slight for 'ear/subjective measurements' but they do so. I have not played with power cables much, but have with speaker cables; and though my HT system still runs an amazon basic cables - constraints out of my hands - most of my setups are now running Klotz/Mogami - in some cases the difference is clear in some nothing. I however felt the biggest improvements in subwoofer cables from a cheap amazon single ended RCA to a basic DAC subwoofer cable was a very noticeable difference. Higher grade still and the bass keeps more controlled - so maybe it is not snake oil after all - a big MAYBE.

***No numbers/measurements to prove my statements above - maybe pure placebo - but sharing what I heard/experienced - subjectively.

However in your case I am not sure if a simple cable fix maybe the answer - though it will most probably be helpful - I am no expert and people who have chimed in above are far more experienced and technically inclined than I will ever be, but I feel this seems more like a case of a faulty connection/setting issues - provided all your equipment is working A OK.

***Also what about a subwoofer - do you have one? You think it sounds weak because you were expecting a "bigger" performance? Expectation bias kinda thing?

Last edited:
I recently upgraded my audio equipment to Parasound Halo Hint 6 and Rotel RB1590, coupled with a Cambridge CXN V2. And it was aghast!! The music was linear, had clarity although but really lacked the dynamism required for a 350Watts power amplifier!! I assume the preamp stage from the Parasound is weak. Any thoughts? Did I miss something? I came here for serious answers.
What you missed is a Subwoofer.

I have heard the Focal Chora 826. They lack bass punch though the extension is there till 43hz. A subwoofer is a MUST with these. I heard them both without (the system sounded flat) and with a subwoofer - a JL E110 (i helped dial in the speakers with the sub) and the system was epic with spine tingling dynamics! Amp was a NAD C388 fed through a Chord Mojo from a Macbook.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I'm considering revamp of the cables too. Got a quote from Audioquest. All put together including a Niagra 1200 was a whopping 2.23 lacs estimate!!
While good cables are a necessity, and i wholeheartedly agree with all the suggestions above, adding a subwoofer to the equation such as a REL S510 or a JL E110/112 for the same quote is going to massively elevate the experience, especially if you are constrained for placement options for the speakeres.

Thank you so much. I'm considering revamp of the cables too. Got a quote from Audioquest. All put together including a Niagra 1200 was a whopping 2.23 lacs estimate!!
I would suggest hold off on cable garnish as of now.
Get the 2 or 3 components (CXN + Parasound) or (CXN + Parasound + Rotel) working to suit the sound you prefer in your listening room with Focals.
I would hazard a guess that Rotel may not be necessary.
If you like the sound of CXN DAC feed it to Parasound line input.
If you like the sound of Parasound DAC use CXN digital out.
In both cases let Parasound be the preamp and volume control unit.

Amazon basics should work for experimentation to gauge what the system can do in your room.
If you want to experiment with some other cable without breaking the bank, use MX/MDR.
Once you have nailed down the components and position, then consider cables.

Disclaimer:
I am not a huge believer in expensive cables. So my view is biased one way.
Have got my rig to work with inexpensive cables with minor niggles.

Cheers,
Raghu

I know its pretty unnerving, that's unnecessary investment at a single go. That will probably give you a good SQ upgrade (or not), you can't decide without home audition. If I were to invest 2.2L lump some in your setup ; it'll be mostly in upgrading Room Acoustic Solutions instead of Cables!

So, until you can make out differences between different cables
Go for decent quality Studio cables at the least , that would not hurt your wallet much. Consider my Cable recommendations in previous post, I think that should be enough as a initial investment.
(Amazon basics have been proven to be quite below average in many objective reviews, avoid it).

But, before going with cable change try other tweaks I've mentioned in previous post.

I got unused Mogami 3103 speaker cable and 2497/2549 IC's unused. Shoot me a DM if you would like to try out to help isolate the problem. I live in Kondapur area

I got unused Mogami 3103 speaker cable and 2497/2549 IC's unused. Shoot me a DM if you would like to try out. I live in Kondapur area
These are what I have at home. Wonderful stuff, easy to procure and not expensive at all.
Cheers,
Raghu

I would agree to what has already been suggested above by others.
1. Remove the Rotel
2. Disable Preamp in Cxn
3. Run balanced to Parasound
And lastly cut down your cable budget to half or even max 75k for starters - around 20k for speaker cables, around 20k for balanced cables and max 30k for power cables.
At this stage your equipment does not require such a high cabling budget imo.

I got unused Mogami 3103 speaker cable and 2497/2549 IC's unused. Shoot me a DM if you would like to try out to help isolate the problem. I live in Kondapur area
Wow, that's a boon. If only I could try them.

get Rotel out of the equation ; one thing I have learnt with my Aria 926 floorstanders ownership is, they need at least 3 ft from either walls to sound optimum. You'll get

I would suggest hold off on cable garnish as of now.
Get the 2 or 3 components (CXN + Parasound) or (CXN + Parasound + Rotel) working to suit the sound you prefer in your listening room with Focals.
I would hazard a guess that Rotel may not be necessary.
If you like the sound of CXN DAC feed it to Parasound line input.
If you like the sound of Parasound DAC use CXN digital out.
In both cases let Parasound be the preamp and volume control unit.

Amazon basics should work for experimentation to gauge what the system can do in your room.
If you want to experiment with some other cable without breaking the bank, use MX/MDR.
Once you have nailed down the components and position, then consider cables.

Disclaimer:
I am not a huge believer in expensive cables. So my view is biased one way.
Have got my rig to work with inexpensive cables with minor niggles.

Cheers,
Raghu
I cannot agree enough!

I would presume, though I could be very wrong in doing so, that you might be having multiple volume controls in your chain. There by damping dynamics. I had the original parasound hint ( it is the previous model to your hint 6 ). It was smooth, detailed and mellow sounding. But never undynamic to my ears.

As most FM's have already suggested, defeat the volume control in the CXN, and use it as a level dac into the parasound hint6. The parasound is very powerful, and can run the focals on it's own. So remove the rotel from the chain. Then check at the back of the parasound. Defeat the preamp output switch and also check the high pass settings for the sub. You might have these enabled by mistake. The largest dose of dynamics is with the bass hitting harder and louder. Enabling sub output here, without a sub in the chain, might be stopping the speakers from sounding dynamic. Please give it a shot and see :)

Though cables do matter, better cables are not immediately required. Any copper wire will conduct enough electricity to preserve the dynamics to a large extent. But you can ofcourse splurge for better cables once the initial issue of loss of dynamics is sorted. All the best my friend :)

And if you reply to my post, then best to qoute my above reply, so that I can see it in the notifications :)

Very little to go by the OP. I am not familiar with CXN or Rotel.
Parasound, I've heard Halo P5, but not owned it.
Try these combinations:
1. CXN + Parasound + Speakers (CXN is streamer/player and DAC)
2. CXN + Parasound + Speakers (CXN is streamer/player only)

What are the speakers?
What do you mean by preamp stage is weak?
What is your definition of dynamism? Dynamic range in content or peppy/party like sound from system?

Reach out to @Yelamanchili manohar and @drkrack (Hyd FMs)
They used to own Parasound HINT earlier, IIRC.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks for adding me up raghu :)

Always happy to be of help :)

I got unused Mogami 3103 speaker cable and 2497/2549 IC's unused. Shoot me a DM if you would like to try out to help isolate the problem. I live in Kondap

Hey Murali, please do leave your number or reach out to me at 9515661972. Thanks

Updates: I dont want to start a holy war. Nothing blasphemous. I got it all sorted out when I replaced the mediocre cables. Having borrowed a few cables from the fraternity, I noticed a hell of a difference in the audio performance and hence rest my case!!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back