Dismantling the Sony speakers

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

Finally, the DIYer inside me woke up and laid it's hand on my Sony speakers.
I just wanted to see what is inside this speaker and finally ended up modding the speaker to sound relatively better. Sharing the pictures here in the forum for the ones who finds the dismantling stimulating ;)

I opened up the outer plastic cover of the speaker. The plastic cover was glued to the faceplate which was again made of thick plastic. Cheap material everywhere. Once the outer plastic cover was out, revealed the four eyed ugly monster in front me.

I unscrewed the woofer from it's plastic faceplate and there awaited a shocking revelation for me. There is no crossover in this speaker and the mid frequency driver was being fed the full frequency sound. I guess that explains a lot about the boominess of these speakers. Only the tweeters were having electrolytic capacitors connected in parallel to the tweeters, to act as high pass filter.
The cabinet is made up of particle board. Not the best material for speakers, but again it comes cheaper than MDF boards.

After removing the woofer, I stuffed the cabinet with polyfill fibre material generously (obtained the polyfill fibre from an old kurl-on pillow:D).

Have a look at the woofer. A cheap driver which is made in Malaysia. Also have a look what the basket is made up of. Thin sheet of tin stamped into the basket shape. Really poor material.

I never had imagined that this speaker contains five drivers! one woofer, three tweeters and one super tweeter. After looking at the quality of the tweeters I knew whom to blame for the shrillness in the sound.

The secret behind the super tweeter - Cheap piezo speaker, which in my opinion produces the worst higher frequency response. Shame on Sony for using such cheap components.

Finally, I applied some mobil oil on the cone of the tweeters. Idea was to reduce the mid frequency interferences by loading.

After all these operations I covered the outer plastic cover back to the speaker.

Now was the time for the real outcome, the sound. I connected these speakers to my NAD amp and played the track Electric Six - Dance pattern. The immidiate thing which I noticed was that the boominess in the sound was reduced to a large extent. The bass was there but in a very controlled manner and was not wandering around uncontrolled. The shrillness was also gone to a considerable extent and the high frequencies sounded relatively softer.
So, after all these surgery on the speakers, the sound really improved relatively. The mid frequency response was improved but wasn't near to what I would call good (blame it on the cheap woofer).

So, at the loss of an old pillow and some sweat, I am listening to a sound which is relatively better than the pre modding sound. Wasn't a bad experiment at all. :clapping::clapping:

PS: Please note that this post should not be considered in anyway as an instructible. I have done this out of my sheer craziness and interest towards music. Any damage caused by following my actions would be entirely the responsibility of the person and I am in no way to be blamed.:eek:hyeah:

Cheers!
Vivek

Last edited:
Thanks for carrying out your 'experiment' & enlightening us on the results of the same.
As for the quality of components, no surprise there... Sony is no longer the Sony it was known for....

Thanks for carrying out your 'experiment' & enlightening us on the results of the same.
As for the quality of components, no surprise there... Sony is no longer the Sony it was known for....

They are creating systems at 10K. I remember when i was in school the cheapest sony would be around 25k.

They are creating systems at 10K. I remember when i was in school the cheapest sony would be around 25k.

The first Hi-Fi system I heard was a Sony system costing 27k. I was in school then. The sound quality of that system was never produced by any Sony afterwards IMHO. It was made in Japan.

Seems that it was as good as (as bad as) the cheap speakers sold in electronic taparees. At least they don't use too much plastic and sell the speakers at reasonable price. I bought my first speaker pair for Rs 1600 4 years back. 10" woofer, one Showa piezo tweeter, no cross over except some tweeter protecting cap..

In my village, they call these tweeters as "chillar".

It is indeed sad .......

The Sony 3-way speaker pair I possess is of 1988, is a remnant of the entire set-up purchased from the savings on my first job. Orson used to be the dealer for Sony during that time .... and most of the equipments were assembled here using original Sony components.

Well, would never have the guts to open out the speakers ... as you have done. The tape deck is still alive and kicking, with only the integrated amplifier dumped, after it stopped functioning after 20 years of dedicated service. Have purchased a Norge 1000 to power the Sony SS-S-440 speakers, connected through the Zone 2 of my recently procured Pioneer AVR. AND man ....... what stupendous performance the 'old' Sony's are giving out ....!

As a matter of fact, end up shutting off the Pioneer + Wharfedale Main Zone and switch back to the Norge + Sony circuit for music ..... The vocals, instruments come out crystal clean, no colourations, absolutely neutral, deep ..... and loudness, if the Norge is at 12 'o clock position start receiving the sound-shock waves on my face without any hints of any distortion. It may sound louder, but don't have the guts to go further, lest I do some damage to the speakers. Don't know what my neighbours would be thinking during those periods, when I let loose.........:p

I remember spending a princely sum of Rs. 12,500 in 1988 (salary used to be Rs.3100/month ... on hand, that time ... :rolleyes:).... for the Sony tapedeck, integrated amplifier and SS-S-440 speaker pair.

Why has the company started to bring in a bad name to the 'solid' brand that it once used to be?????

It is indeed sad .......

The Sony 3-way speaker pair I possess is of 1988, is a remnant of the entire set-up purchased from the savings on my first job. Orson used to be the dealer for Sony during that time .... and most of the equipments were assembled here using original Sony components.

I remember spending a princely sum of Rs. 12,500 in 1988 (salary used to be Rs.3100/month ... on hand, that time ... :rolleyes:).... for the Sony tapedeck, integrated amplifier and SS-S-440 speaker pair.

Why has the company started to bring in a bad name to the 'solid' brand that it once used to be?????

Dont really know why they stopped making stuff like that, They all seem to make DESKTOP speakers and amps nowadays and sell them for a huge sum

Sorry to know your AMP gave up, I had the same stuff in 1986-87, I was a student of Mithibai then, I have it working till now, I bought the TA-AX-44 with SS-S440 speakers , Well Already had a Sansui T-909 tuner to go with it and an Audiosource eq-100 10+10 band Hardware equaliser, My Technics RS-B11W is the only thing that gave up, A few gears simply gone bald
Here are some pics of what is left of that system, Still sounds nice, My favourite is Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia playing flute

Speakers:-- SS-S440
4b1ba95a.jpg

Rest of the pack
b42ef822.jpg

Last edited:
Abso same speakers with me, giving fantabulous service till date.

Yes, these SS S440s are front ported.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back