Dispersion - without equal dispersion across the entire audio spectrum, speakers don't have much of a chance at sounding "natural."

siddharthdas

Box speaker suffer from a problem that's really difficult to fix without clever analog/mechanical engineering and/or DSP - that's dispersion. Since we use mechanical drivers to reproduce sound, we are limited by their physics. Bass frequencies radiate in a sphere - i.e. we will hear bass at almost the same loudness at the same distance from from the driver anywhere in the room (let's ignore floor bounce/ baffle step etc for the moment). Midrange and highs radiate in a hemisphere in the front of the driver (until such point as the wavelength of sound is close to driver diameter). When driver diameter is comparable to or larger than the wavelength of the sound, then sound beams in a narrow cone. Now the problem here is energy density, also known as power response. For bass, you are radiating double the energy into your room for the same on-axis SPL, as compared to higher frequencies. Simply put power radiation throughout the sonic spectrum varies with frequency-range and driver diameter. That makes the sound emanating from most speakers inherently unnatural.

Now, it is unclear if the "power response vs. perception" studies give us a definitive answer for which parts of the frequency range benefit most from constant directivity (i.e. uniform dispersion). Technically however, it is possible to do that somewhat easily for mids and highs (using waveguides for tweeters etc). For bass it takes a lot of serious engineering - Kii audio (http://www.kiiaudio.com) uses DSP, and Dutch & Dutch (https://dutchdutch.com) used some ingenious mechanical engineering. I think both provide an option for linear phase FIR filtering. Some insane horn speakers (https://www.magico.net/product/ultimate.php) probably do that as well. All dipole speakers do controlled dispersion by design (https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/freestanding/). And finally omnipolar speakers also do that by design ((http://www.mbl.de/?lang=en) albeit with hugely increased room interaction. With each kind of design there are sonic and engineering trade-offs.

That said, the thing therefore to look for is whether a speaker has controlled directivity to begin with. If not, they may still sound nice, but those speakers are starting off on the back-foot :) - no matter whether they cost $100, or $1000,000.

Will be delighted to hear everyone's experiences with constant directivity speakers, and side-by-side controlled (blind, ideally) comparisons with other types of speakers.

I wouldn't say I have experienced full range constant directivity speakers. But I have made a few controlled directivity speaker configurations. Before showing (off :D ) those designs, here is a little bit of context on the my systems' building blocks, from the speaker point of view. A 2 x Satori WO24P-8 driver cabinet with sealed bass alignment lies at the heart of the following designs. The range that these drivers handle vary from around 200Hz to 1200Hz, depending upon the configuration. All systems are fully active DSP crossover implemented with 64000 tap FIR filters conditioning the signal that goes to each driver. For now I use a 6 channel ESI audio interface form D/A conversion and the analog signal is sent to separate amps driving each driver. All the polar responses that I will show are measured using a semi-dual channel measurement system with a "turn-table" allowing me to capture the angular frequency responses. I use Baffle-step corrected nearfield + gated far-field measurements to estimate the full range polar response.
With that here are some configurations arranged roughly in the decreasing order of directivity (at mid-high frequencies)

System-1: 2 way system with Satori WO24P-8 + SB audience Rosso 65CDN-T compression driver on Faital Pro LTH 142 horn
img_20220622_194538-jpg.1065807

System-1: Frequency response and details

Power response (dark blue colored line) and DI (red color lines at the bottom of the plot) are in the plot in row-2, column-1
2way_satori_rosso_cd_lr4-six-pack-png.1068987

System-2: 2 way system with Satori WO24P-8 + Peerless DFM 2544R compression driver on 3D printed ST260 horn
1666845220271-png.1103273

System-2: Frequency response and details
st260_2_5_waydualwoofer_v4-six-pack-png.1104955

System-3: 3 way system with Satori WO24P-8 +Sica 5.5inch coaxial mid-tweeter driver in a 3D printed controlled directivity cabinet
1661596852799-png.1085092

System-3: Frequency response and details
satori_woofers_sica_coax_v2_fluid_3way-v2-six-pack-png.1087571

System-4: 3 way system with Satori WO24P-8 + Wavecor WF120BD03 mids + SB26CDC in elliptical waveguide
img_20221118_225719-jpg.1110876

System-4: Frequency response and details

1670664059671-png.1118336

Now, as one can see from the DIs of the different speaker configurations above, the directivity control employed varies from one to the other. So does their imaging vs soundstage dimensions tradeoffs and their interactions with the room (boundaries). Audibility-wise the acoustic resolution in different frequency bands changed due to the varying levels of directivity control. All are good and sound nice. But keeping in mind ones personal preferences, space available and listening position location, room size and type of room (completely closed/semi-open), one should pick their version of the "poison". So far what I have found out it slowly increasing directivity with balanced room acoustics (after room treatment to some extent) is the best compromise that I can live with :)

I wouldn't say I have experienced full range constant directivity speakers. But I have made a few controlled directivity speaker configurations. Before showing (off :D ) those designs, here is a little bit of context on the my systems' building blocks, from the speaker point of view. A 2 x Satori WO24P-8 driver cabinet with sealed bass alignment lies at the heart of the following designs. The range that these drivers handle vary from around 200Hz to 1200Hz, depending upon the configuration. All systems are fully active DSP crossover implemented with 64000 tap FIR filters conditioning the signal that goes to each driver. For now I use a 6 channel ESI audio interface form D/A conversion and the analog signal is sent to separate amps driving each driver. All the polar responses that I will show are measured using a semi-dual channel measurement system with a "turn-table" allowing me to capture the angular frequency responses. I use Baffle-step corrected nearfield + gated far-field measurements to estimate the full range polar response.
With that here are some configurations arranged roughly in the decreasing order of directivity (at mid-high frequencies)

System-1: 2 way system with Satori WO24P-8 + SB audience Rosso 65CDN-T compression driver on Faital Pro LTH 142 horn
img_20220622_194538-jpg.1065807

System-1: Frequency response and details

Power response (dark blue colored line) and DI (red color lines at the bottom of the plot) are in the plot in row-2, column-1
2way_satori_rosso_cd_lr4-six-pack-png.1068987

System-2: 2 way system with Satori WO24P-8 + Peerless DFM 2544R compression driver on 3D printed ST260 horn
1666845220271-png.1103273

System-2: Frequency response and details
st260_2_5_waydualwoofer_v4-six-pack-png.1104955

System-3: 3 way system with Satori WO24P-8 +Sica 5.5inch coaxial mid-tweeter driver in a 3D printed controlled directivity cabinet
1661596852799-png.1085092

System-3: Frequency response and details
satori_woofers_sica_coax_v2_fluid_3way-v2-six-pack-png.1087571

System-4: 3 way system with Satori WO24P-8 + Wavecor WF120BD03 mids + SB26CDC in elliptical waveguide
img_20221118_225719-jpg.1110876

System-4: Frequency response and details

1670664059671-png.1118336

Now, as one can see from the DIs of the different speaker configurations above, the directivity control employed varies from one to the other. So does their imaging vs soundstage dimensions tradeoffs and their interactions with the room (boundaries). Audibility-wise the acoustic resolution in different frequency bands changed due to the varying levels of directivity control. All are good and sound nice. But keeping in mind ones personal preferences, space available and listening position location, room size and type of room (completely closed/semi-open), one should pick their version of the "poison". So far what I have found out it slowly increasing directivity with balanced room acoustics (after room treatment to some extent) is the best compromise that I can live with :)
Vineeth, the ability to measure in detail, is an art form in itself. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to start a thread on measurements.

Kimmo Saunisto is my "guru" in speaker design methodology/overall workflow and his VituixCAD software is my tool for designing state-of-the-art speakers. :)
His diyaudio forum posts over past several years and his website are my references on all things speaker design.VituixCAD user manual here:https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/VituixCAD/VituixCAD_help_20.html is my bible on all things measurements and crossover design :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back