DIY Audio HiFi Rack

josephmat

Building a pair of speaker stands in Yamaha SPS2000 design gave me heaps of confidence.

It was challenging & fun making them. They are not that simple as it looks. Making of those stands is a long story. First I have given the work to a carpenter but he failed to make these. Again I found another carpenter whom a few of my friends suggested, who didn't make it to perfection and to my satisfaction. So I decided to make it myself. It took some time for me to prepare by collecting tips and suggestions from a few of my friends here who have hot carpentry background and one of them a cabinet maker. Got the right directions from them. It took a long period as I was taking extra care, as I was working on it during the free time and I'm a beginner working with wood.
default_smile.png

stand.jpg

Now I need to replace my existing metal Audio rack and started working on a design last weekend.

IMG-20180915-WA0002.jpg

Now I'm in the process of making a custom HiFi Rack. The basic structure is almost there... Still working on it...

20181001_175127.jpg

20181001_175222.jpg

I'm really happy with the outcome of this...basic structure is finished by yesterday.

Pending work
1) Hiding screws
2) Applying wood putty in gaps
3) Sanding
4) Applying Stain
5) Second sanding using very fine grain paper
6) Applying Bee Wax.

The wood I have used.
1) Legs - Pine 70mm x 70mm
2) Bracing for each shelf - Oak
3) Shelves (Slabs) - Karri wood (Benchtop slabs from Bunnings)

Measurements
Total Height: 90cm
Total Width: 80cm
Available width in each level from 2nd:66cm

From top
Available height (Level 1): Any Height
default_smile.png

Available height (Level 2): 24 cms
Available height (Level 3): 18.5 cms
Available height (Level 4): 19 cms

Building a pair of speaker stands in Yamaha SPS2000 design gave me heaps of confidence.

It was challenging & fun making them. They are not that simple as it looks. Making of those stands is a long story. First I have given the work to a carpenter but he failed to make these. Again I found another carpenter whom a few of my friends suggested, who didn't make it to perfection and to my satisfaction. So I decided to make it myself. It took some time for me to prepare by collecting tips and suggestions from a few of my friends here who have hot carpentry background and one of them a cabinet maker. Got the right directions from them. It took a long period as I was taking extra care, as I was working on it during the free time and I'm a beginner working with wood.
default_smile.png

View attachment 30724

Now I need to replace my existing metal Audio rack and started working on a design last weekend.

View attachment 30725

Now I'm in the process of making a custom HiFi Rack. The basic structure is almost there... Still working on it...

View attachment 30726

View attachment 30727

I'm really happy with the outcome of this...basic structure is finished by yesterday.

Pending work
1) Hiding screws
2) Applying wood putty in gaps
3) Sanding
4) Applying Stain
5) Second sanding using very fine grain paper
6) Applying Bee Wax.

The wood I have used.
1) Legs - Pine 70mm x 70mm
2) Bracing for each shelf - Oak
3) Shelves (Slabs) - Karri wood (Benchtop slabs from Bunnings)

Measurements
Total Height: 90cm
Total Width: 80cm
Available width in each level from 2nd:66cm

From top
Available height (Level 1): Any Height
default_smile.png

Available height (Level 2): 24 cms
Available height (Level 3): 18.5 cms
Available height (Level 4): 19 cms
Listening position is too close to the rear wall.
Superb room BTW.

Love the initiative and commitment. Most people would gave given up on the speaker stand after 2 carpenters failed to deliver.
The new rack looks great.
Are you still kochi based?

Everything startting with the stands are beautiful un the photos. Superb and innovative design. DiY is a great feeling. I am sure you will be mighty happy with the end result. Kudos

Great job. Planning on making one myself. Can I borrow your design..?

Sure, I'm happy that you like the design. :)

Love the initiative and commitment. Most people would gave given up on the speaker stand after 2 carpenters failed to deliver.
The new rack looks great.
Are you still kochi based?

Thanks. Moved to Australia in 2013. I'm at Melbourne now. :)

Everything starting with the stands are beautiful un the photos. Superb and innovative design. DiY is a great feeling. I am sure you will be mighty happy with the end result. Kudos

Thanks. Yes, I love DIY projects. :)

U have done an excellent Job. Nice to see people are joining the DIY track.

Thanks, Sadik. :)

Thankyou everyone for the comments and encouragement. :)

Such amazing work. Who says it looks DIY, this is profesional grade finish and looks stunning. You surely have so much patience to source the different kinds of wood .Superb work that looks heavenly and unique .

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back