Diy Bookshelf from Car speaker

kcnanand

Hello FMs,
Have seen a number of threads which say that car speakers are not good for home speaker build. Was intrigued as i have heard some real full sounding car speakers. so decided to try build one myself.
Found this MTX T6S652-THUNDER6000 series component speaker "like new" in olx and picked it up for 3K. Reviews on the speaker compliment on the sound quality instead of quantity, however my decision to use this speaker because the aluminum phase plug looks cool :D and the tweeter is a 1 inch silk dome.

Since i had only today as free day, hurried thru the build so forgot to take many photos.

Box Size 11x8x8.5 inch. rear ported 45mm dia 4 inch length left over from my previous build.

Tweeter did not have a flange. so did a precise cutout, chamfered it, and braced and secured the rear of the tweeter with wood piece. Crossover is same as what came with the component speaker.

Finished product.

Sound Quality :
Initial sound without padding- boom in low end. Added damping with foam and then stuffed the box with polyfill till i could no longer hear the booming sound. Now the bass is tight.
Sounds really good. Room filling, clear high and mids. tight bass. and enough sound to easily fill my drawing cum dining room. In comparison with my earlier build using peerless India speaker, the only difference seems to be a slightly less pronounced mid range which however is not noticeable in normal mp3/flac files.

I am really happy with the sound quality of the speaker and do not really understand why many are so vehemently against using good quality car speakers in bookshelf build, especially if they are lying around spare in your house. :)

Congrats on the build, looks good. What is the amp you are using to power these? Did you try changing the tweeter db settings, to see if they make an impact.

Cheers

Do post a video of them playing if possible. Agreed that a recorded video does no justice to the live performance of any speaker but audio visual impact is always better than describing it in words.

Hello FMs,
Have seen a number of threads which say that car speakers are not good for home speaker build. Was intrigued as i have heard some real full sounding car speakers. so decided to try build one myself.

Wow, excellent build. They look really nice. However, what is their power rating? Is it similar to non-car speakers? Which amplifier are you using?

MaSh

100w rms. 4ohms. Car speakers are built to perform well in enclosed space inside the car and not similar to normal speakers. Spare speakers... For casual listening in kids room/ kitchen etc... Why not.
Tested on vintage Cambridge audio, diy tripath 2022 and my diy L15d based amp. Sounds respectable in all

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

I don't know how I missed this thread ... You have done an excellent Job:clapping:. I do believe Car Speakers can be used also for home use too.

The parameters of these speakers required for designing an enclosure are not printed on their manuals or any other leaflet nor they are easily available on net, This is the main reason why many DIYers stay away from them.

I too had built Floor Standers with car speakers. I think you may have seen my thread. They are not even component speakers they are just the basic model of JBL and believe me they really do the justice to the sound. I am using them with my Class A amp Jean Hiraga 30 Watts.

Sadik

100w rms. 4ohms. Car speakers are built to perform well in enclosed space inside the car and not similar to normal speakers. Spare speakers... For casual listening in kids room/ kitchen etc... Why not.
Tested on vintage Cambridge audio, diy tripath 2022 and my diy L15d based amp. Sounds respectable in all

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Great job sire!!

The only reason I see why Car audio speakers (especially components) are not used in HA is due to high Qts. This is by design since most of the application requires the driver to be in a IB configuration (door pad). This is probably the reason why the speaker sounded boomy initially,adding stuffing would reduce over all Qtc of the box (but not below the Qts of the driver). Anything below Qtc = 1 should probably be ok.

Just my .02 cents.

Cheers,
Venki

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back