DIY multipurpose cpu

naviworks

I was on a look out for a NAS but decided to build a multipurpose machine which will be a combination of

1)server
2)NAS
3)computer
4)ripper
5)centralised data storage with RAID control

my requirements:

1) 4 hot swappable hard drive bays with provision to add more bays later (may be 8 max)
2)blu ray ripper
3)hardware RAID controller with RAID 5 or more
4)will be hooked on to a N router 24 hours (will be accessed by my PCH c-200, x box 360, laptop etc)
5)USB 2 and 3 ports (or usb 3 ports with backward compatability)

if somebody can guide me step by step instructions as how to go about it
(what, where and which) or else
am also willing to pay if somebody can build one for me :)

cheers

If you're still thinking about building this machine, start from looking into super-micro or other companies storage-router class motherboards.

Regards....

3)computer

Really, this covers the rest! :). And almost anything would probably do it.

You mention NAS, but you also mention "server." What is your perception of the difference? Any Windows PC will serve files (whether data, text, sound or even programs), printing, etc to other PCs on your network. Any Linux PC will do too, but probably more effeciently. However, as you mention two or three devices constituting the rest of the network, please do not think that you need steaming-hot server-speciality hardware for this: you don't. It'd be nice if your discs are quite fast, though, so get the latest SATA standard and, yes, one day those USB3 ports might be useful for an external USB3 disk.

What's with RAID? What are your requirements and aims? Probably, in a domestic environment, the answer is "just make backups regularly" --- which you should do anyway!

That's more like a bucket list than a dhobi list. Having said that-you do realize that computers have this annoying tendency to become obsolete, right? OTOH, a server/NAS may not, at least for a longer period. Ripping can be done on any computer, with a DVD/CD drive. The reason I am commenting is that I have 3 PCs and a dedicated NAS/server at home, and they work fine-the PCs have seen a few upgrades, while the NAS hasnt.

You mention NAS, but you also mention "server." What is your perception of the difference?

thnx Thad
but all the servers got xeon processors and NAS i have seen has got only atom processor (ya u can consider me as a noob....) and i have also heard NAS are slow on network and not able to stream large media files of 40gb (read blu ray rips)...is it true?

see all i want is a powerful NAS

What's with RAID? What are your requirements and aims?

my external hard disk crashed and i lost all the data in it (u regret of not making a backup only after u lose it, dont u?) so i was searching the net for a solution and RAID came up. even if your hard drive fails you can get your data back if u insert a new hard disk. i thought its cool... or dyu have a better solution...

"just make backups regularly" --- which you should do anyway!

i dont think so...... products like windows home server (software) automatically makes backup or drobo fs (hardware) no need for backup-your data is protected.

finally all i wanted to do is
1)buy a blu ray disk (or borrow it :D)
2)rip and store it
3)enjoy the movie without any jitters over the network
4)forget the worry of losing my collection

is there any solution?

I was on a look out for a NAS but decided to build a multipurpose machine which will be a combination of

1)server
2)NAS
3)computer
4)ripper
5)centralised data storage with RAID control

my requirements:

1) 4 hot swappable hard drive bays with provision to add more bays later (may be 8 max)
2)blu ray ripper
3)hardware RAID controller with RAID 5 or more
4)will be hooked on to a N router 24 hours (will be accessed by my PCH c-200, x box 360, laptop etc)
5)USB 2 and 3 ports (or usb 3 ports with backward compatability)

if somebody can guide me step by step instructions as how to go about it
(what, where and which) or else
am also willing to pay if somebody can build one for me :)

cheers

Just search for "Ubuntu NAS" and you will get plenty of useful
links.
It kinda boils down to finding a good, stable hardware platform,
choose a OS and find a supported h.w RAID card.
Follow one of the HOWTOs which tell you how to install the
OS, configure Samba, some kind of torrent (bittornado etc), and
if you require, configure other servers like http, ftp and
perhaps a UPnP/DLNA server like MediaTomb.
You can find lots of info on the web for all of this.

There is no solution to security data other than backups.

RAID was never meant to replace backups. Depending on configuration (sorry; raid levels just give me a headache) you are spending extra money on extra discs to spread the risk. You can also increase access speeds by "striping" data across discs. this is pro-level stuff. If you can afford the hardware, no reason not to experiment and learn, but don't expect that to be quick and easy.

stressing this
: in many respects, a group of RAID-configured disks still represents one risk. You still need external backups.

I don't know about the bandwidth requirements of "streaming" video across a LAN, because I don't do it. Somebody will quickly tell me if I am wrong in saying... the potential bottlenecks in getting your data from A to B are the hard-disk interface and the network, not the processor.

People build HTPCs and Media servers with very modest CPUs --- for cool and silent running. There's quite a few threads about it. First thing is to learn from everybody else's experiences.

Last edited:
Hi I have been using UnRAID Server for my Media storage and the storage currently is 8TB + 2 TB for parity. You can see if that helps you. It is just a storage with RAID which can protect you from two simultaneous harddisk failures.

oh my lord .. do we need a mini enterprise setup at home ?
isnot it that AV enthu guys go insane and make a clutter

why so scared of HDD failure ?
may be
> you have important personal videos -- write to DVD
> important documents ---- Keep in SSD [solid state drive]
> is there any other reason for RAID?

oh my lord .. do we need a mini enterprise setup at home ?
isnot it that AV enthu guys go insane and make a clutter
Its just our love for the painstakingly collected AV library
why so scared of HDD failure ?
Because HDD's do fail (more so with the new high capacity ones) without much warning and when they fail, they take with them probably months worth of HD AV collection.
may be
> you have important personal videos -- write to DVD
> important documents ---- Keep in SSD [solid state drive]
> is there any other reason for RAID?

We are talking storage in TeraBytes here and even backup on bluray discs is a real PITA if you want your entire collection to be available readily on your media library.

HDDs do indeed fail.

If one can afford at least twice as many hard disks, then RAID might be nice. A pre-requisite, though, to using it properly, would be understanding it: it is not just a case of picking the highest number and going for it. and it is not a substitute for backups. A corrupted file is corrupted however many disks it is spread across, and one lightening flash can take out the whole, expensive pile.

Among our number will be those who just see the boxes as a means to an end, and are just interested in the music entering their ears. Many of the rest of us will be, more or less, gadget freaks. We like our boxes, we like our specs, we like our bells and whistles.

Above us in the food chain are the marketing men, ever hungry and ever watchful. They have already persuaded many that a stack of hifi gear is simply incomplete without a DAC. Many, regardless of the quality of the gear they already own, are agonising over the lack of a DAC. Now NAS is the latest buzzword. The last thing that those marketing men think to tell us is that our computers are already Network-Attached Storage, and that they can do perfect job of that.

Kaushik is quite right: we do not need enterprise setups.

Nothing wrong with being boys that like our toys. Lets not let the marketing men make those decisions for us, though.

Hi I have been using UnRAID Server for my Media storage and the storage currently is 8TB + 2 TB for parity. You can see if that helps you. It is just a storage with RAID which can protect you from two simultaneous harddisk failures.

can you elaborate on your setup? specs,brands,pics will be useful...

If one can afford at least twice as many hard disks, then RAID might be nice.
i hope for backing up also (without RAID) u need twice the capacity....

computers are already Network-Attached Storage, and that they can do perfect job of that.
i agree but only difference is low power consumption, heat dissipation and form factor...

Lets not let the marketing men make those decisions for us, though
that's what the purpose of this forum...

Thad has hit the nail on its head ;) for the marketing bias in the forum.
digitalv , i can understand now your situation ..
sure u need some $$$ stuff manage the file .

Talking of things becoming obsolete, RAID for personal use (which is a sort of an oxymoron if you think of it) might be on its way. Although it might be a while, all the major companies are pushing for cloud storage. Probably not for TB's of data, but you never know. Might not be too far away.

They are pushing for cloud storage for one reason only: they can get regular recurring revenue. Services pay better than kit.

It's horrifically easy to sell this kind of stuff to senior management (and that includes a lor of IT directors too) who haven't got a clue, and lap up the supposed, invented, savings in their IT departments. Given that there is a lot of bad management about (yes, even in huge MNCs... bullshit and bullying is often the route to promotion, especially in the eyes of bosses who got there that way themselves) it will sell like hot cakes, but I have my money on it being a fad.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back