DIY ported enclosure with Tang Bang W5-2143 FR driver vs Q Acoustics 3020i and 3090i speakers as LCR for home theater.

Kevano

Project goal
To make well designed enclosures with full range drivers for LCR with drivers in the price range of 15-20K for 3 drivers to use with Marantz NR1510 - 50W/channel @ 8ohm that match the general sound quality that one would get by using the branded Q Acoustics 3020i and 3090i combo and if possible supersede it.

Speaker driver
I've found Tang Bang W5-2143 and costs Rs 18,204(including taxes and shipping). Reason for choosing this driver is that its 30W @8 ohms, FR with phase plug and has good reviews especially for Mids tonal quality which I think should make it a good center speaker. Since it has a Qts of 0.38 ported enclosure is what I'm thinking. Using WinIsSD to design the enclosure. At the moment the Iwai 12" 200W subwoofer driver in a sealed enclosure is the plan for SW.

Main question
In terms of tonal quality would a well designed DIY be at least be equal to if not better than the Q Acoustics ?

PS: More than open to other FR drivers if the total acquisition cost is in the price range.

Project goal
To make well designed enclosures with full range drivers for LCR with drivers in the price range of 15-20K for 3 drivers to use with Marantz NR1510 - 50W/channel @ 8ohm that match the general sound quality that one would get by using the branded Q Acoustics 3020i and 3090i combo and if possible supersede it.

Speaker driver
I've found Tang Bang W5-2143 and costs Rs 18,204(including taxes and shipping). Reason for choosing this driver is that its 30W @8 ohms, FR with phase plug and has good reviews especially for Mids tonal quality which I think should make it a good center speaker. Since it has a Qts of 0.38 ported enclosure is what I'm thinking. Using WinIsSD to design the enclosure. At the moment the Iwai 12" 200W subwoofer driver in a sealed enclosure is the plan for SW.

Main question
In terms of tonal quality would a well designed DIY be at least be equal to if not better than the Q Acoustics ?

PS: More than open to other FR drivers if the total acquisition cost is in the price range.
Check this design in DIYAUDIO forum for TB W5-2143. There is video of it somewhere in the long thread.

Check this design in DIYAUDIO forum for TB W5-2143. There is video of it somewhere in the long thread.
I did come across this on DIYAUDIO but since this is going to be my first DIY build I was thinking I should start with something simpler. A ported enclosure with golden ratio dimensions is something that is within my comfort level in terms of designing and build. Also if you can throw in your two cents on the DIY vs Q Acoustics thinge, that would be much appreciated.

Given that you are going for DIY, you shouldn't have expectation on comparing with branded products. It would dilute the satisfaction levels.
What is your goal -DIY or better bang for buck? If it is former, forget the comparison with q-acoustics. Since you are going for Iwai SW, why not Iwai drivers for LCR? That should be definitely bang for buck. Please don't get me wrong. Just felt that it would be good to reset expectations, if you are pursuing DIY.

A little background. In 2016 my Philips Power AW636 bought in 1996 died. After the typical 'a lot or research' I bought a Marantz MCR510 stereo network reciver. Since I had the old Philips 2 way speaker I connected it to the Marantz and was amazed that they sounded pretty good. I thought that if these sound so good new hifi speakers would sound phenomenal. After auditioning 4 brands ranging from 55k to 1.07k I felt that my existing speakers play well enough for my satisfaction and I use them till date.

Cut to Sep 2020, I helped a friend to narrow down the choice of buying an AVR to a MArantz NR1510 AVR. We are now in the process of getting speakers. From our experiend of the old Philips speakers I felt that we could go the DIY route and build some decent speakers. Proven drivers in a reasonably well designed enclosures in terms of getting the basics correct such as internal volume, material thickness, bracing, port size and length and some fancy 'Golden Ratio' dimensions thrown in we should be good. :)

This is my first DIY but I have a backgroung in Physics and have worked as a sound recordist for 13yrs. I have experience working with recording equipment, building cables, taking techical decisions etc.

On paper, with my skill level, I think its possible to get fairly close to the general sound quality of a 300-400 dollar stereo speaker with this approach. I wanted to know if my thinking is correct and hence the post.

why not Iwai drivers for LCR?
I would like some nice/interesting looking drivers. Also thinking of some art work on the speaker cabinet.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back