DIY Room Acoustic Panels - How to ??

Aquarian09

Hello guys,

am looking for some info about how to DIY room acoustic panels.
Can someone share some info about it ..... I am totally new to Room Acoustics, so request not to use any hifi technical terms :D

This is my HT Room build thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/56064-my-first-ht-room.html
I want room acoustics done to this. Can someone help me with that please :)

Cheers,
Aditya

I bought panels from Anutone and built my acoustic absorption panels from them using foam and cloth to cover them. Check out their site. I did have a thread on my build but it must have been at least 2-3 years ago.

I bought panels from Anutone and built my acoustic absorption panels from them using foam and cloth to cover them. Check out their site. I did have a thread on my build but it must have been at least 2-3 years ago.

Anutone website is down .... r they still in business ??

Thanks, its working now ...yesterday morning when i tried same site it was down
But again when I click on Acoustics button this is the error that shows :D
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

anyways I am checking out with Ultracoustic guys ..... after that I will get to Anutone for better quote :) Thanks for the contact number :)
i will keep you updated about it :)

Cheers,
Aditya

2 years back i made 10 absorption panels using 50mm rigid fiber glass wool boards 3' by 1.5' and density 48 kgs/m3
1) made wooden frames 3'/1.5'
2) Wrapped all boards with thin breathable foam sheets (to ensure glass wool dust does not come out)
3) stuck the boards to wooden frame
4) finally wrapped both together with thick cotton breathable cloth and placed at first and second reflection points
There are you tube videos on how to make such panels

For corner bass traps, stack two rigid glass wool boards together and cut to half. you will get 1.5'/1.5' two nos. then diagonally cut the square boards will give you triangle shaped corner traps. Wrap them with foam and cloth.
Bass traps are ready.

This worked well for me and i think it costed me totally around Rs 12000 2 years back.

Regards

hi gramophone,

from where did you get these rigid fiber glass wool?? i need for my HT.

For corner bass traps, stack two rigid glass wool boards together and cut to half. you will get 1.5'/1.5' two nos. then diagonally cut the square boards will give you triangle shaped corner traps. Wrap them with foam and cloth.

your method is great,and you mean laying the triangle shaped glass wool boards layer on layer with plywood traingle frames in between to give support from bottom of the floor till the ceiling and then add the foam and cloth right.

thanks
r/s

hi gramophone,

from where did you get these rigid fiber glass wool?? i need for my HT.

your method is great,and you mean laying the triangle shaped glass wool boards layer on layer with plywood traingle frames in between to give support from bottom of the floor till the ceiling and then add the foam and cloth right.

thanks
r/s
Twiga fiber glass. Dealer in Bangalore: Himal supplies. Google for number, if u don't find, i can search. Reliable, you transfer the money and they put it on a transport. I have two unused boxes with me, enough for a small room - if someone is passing by Mysore, PM me and you can take it for free

Twiga fiber glass. Dealer in Bangalore: Himal supplies. Google for number, if u don't find, i can search. Reliable, you transfer the money and they put it on a transport. I have two unused boxes with me, enough for a small room - if someone is passing by Mysore, PM me and you can take it for free

Hi,
My room size is 9x11x22, I will surely pick your 2boxes,due course will let you know, keep it reserve for me.thanks

Actual size for absorbtion panels recommended is 2'x4' and it should be placed between 2' above and below the tweeter level...how far its true...

And what about the ceiling same method as side walls or gypsum or acoustic tiles???which are costly,,..

For rear walls.2nos absorbtion and 1no in the center deflection panel,how to make deflection panels,,

For front walls what ??wherein my screen comes...on net they say to use acoustic cloth with velvet black cloth and even cover up to 4' side walls so. That no reflected light falls on the screen..

These are few queries from my side,can you throw some light on it,,

R/s

There is a lot of opinion on the rear wall vs front wall absorption. If the room is small, then general opinion is to put absorption on the rear wall (behind seating). But if your room is larger you might benefit from using diffusers for the rear wall (a book shelf/CD rack is also a good diffuser)
I haven't treated my ceiling. I have painted it black - will explain why. But if you want to treat it, then better go for black ceiling tiles (anutone is good) - a long time ago, i was quoted 130 per sqft.
It is also generally agreed that you must treat the front wall. I haven't done that - planning to put some acoustic foam behind the center channel.
If this is a dedicated room and if you are planning to put a projector in there, then please choose dark colored walls and ceiling. This is going to make a HUGE difference to the picture quality.
If you are planning to start a HT build, then i suggest you to start a dedicated thread where people can participate

hi sash,

Thanks for all the inputs,yes i will certainly put a seperate thread when once i start designing the HT room..i have a dedicated room with projector..

since my room size is 11x22 plus i may extend it further to 2 feet .For rear wall then i will go for book self or c/d rack..lets see from all the inputs i get..

for ceiling if anutone then cost will come to rs. 31000/- plus,,considering your rate...
its too much..better to treat only the reflection point on the ceiling rest yes either paint it or stick some thick rug like material black or any dark colour...

regarding glass wool what is the size of the Twiga fiber glass sheet you have..????

R/S

The fiber glass that i have are sheets of 2 x 4 feet and 2 inches thick 48 density or something

The fiber glass that i have are sheets of 2 x 4 feet and 2 inches thick 48 density or something

hi sash,

was busy with work so couldnt reply..thats perfect size and density,i will pick up your 2 boxes,i have my branch office at your place,i will give the address in personal mesg,you can send them by rick...

thanks
r.s

diffusers for the rear wall (a book shelf/CD rack is also a good diffuser)

How is something like that supposed to be a diffuser ? (assuming of course, you want a real diffusor based on science, having a known pattern that is sufficiently deep to do something definitie, anything can ofcourse look or contribute to the "I have done something" factor)

That is what Ethan Winer writes, and I guess he knows a thing, or two

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar14/articles/myths.htm

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bas.../194697-absorption-diffusion-bookshelves.html

It is NOT. Behind might not be the only / "best" location too.

PS: This might be useful if you want to know where to place a diffuser http://www.acousticfields.com/sound-diffuser-placement-how-to-position-a-sound-diffuser/

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back