DIY Speaker + AMP selector box

mbhangui

It was a long time wish to have a speaker/amp selector board. Whatever were available in the market were all imported and either flimsy or too costly. Finally decided to build one at home. First the hunt for a good sturdy two way four pole switch started. Ultimately settled on this switch which is typically used in electrical panels.

Plan was to get two switches and 16 speaker binding posts and use the switch to direct the output from one of two amps to one of the two speaker pairs I had. One switch would select the amp and the other switch would select the speaker. The next challenge was to get a good housing made and @Beginner_N was kind enough to make one. Thank you Nishant. The initial design was to have one box but the though of having 16 binding posts on the back didn't visualize well in my mind. So we made two boxes and ordered two more switches.

1677775819033.png

The bare speaker box
1677776258400.png

1677776313313.png
1677776355368.png

Assembly in progress. I used only two of the four poles.

1677776416290.png

1677776485148.png

Final assembled boxes. Tested with multimeter which showed 0 ohms (in reality it must be few milliohms).

1677776536919.png

1677776845265.png

1677776679473.png

These boxes will be very near the speakers (one on the left and one on the right). I now need to make 4 pair of short speaker wires terminated with spade or banana connector. That will be for tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1677776817676.png
    1677776817676.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Nice looking.

Is there any place we can look into a datasheet on the switch, besides here :

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.kayceeindustries.com/assets/front/files/ROTARY-CAM-SWITCHES.pdf.

I am wanting to learn of the materials ( metal types ) employed in its construction, contact size, and so forth??

Good spades will outperform the best bananas, and this is inherent in their respective designs, contact area, etc..

I' like the use of 10 A. SHALLCO Rotary Switches with silver contact - for any LOW level audio signal switching

Last edited:
Nice looking.

Is there any place we can look into a datasheet on the switch, besides here :

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.kayceeindustries.com/assets/front/files/ROTARY-CAM-SWITCHES.pdf.

I am wanting to learn of the materials ( metal types ) employed in its construction, contact size, and so forth??

Good spades will outperform the best bananas, and this is inherent in their respective designs, contact area, etc..

I' like the use of 10 A. SHALLCO Rotary Switches with silver contact - for any LOW level audio signal switching
It seems that the contacts are silver plated. The screws, washers etc were definitely not cheap material like iron because they were not getting pulled by my magnetic screwdriver.

Here are more details.

Last edited:
The big advantage of using spades is that they can be tightened and that increases the contact surface area and hence lowers the dc resistance. banana connectors have a small contact area and the tightness (and hence contact area) depends on the tensile strength of the curved metal strips. With age (becase metals are ductile) the spring action will reduce. I think the only reason banana connectors are used is because they are convenient. At the moment I have connected the speakers to the selector box using wires terminated by banana connectors because I ran out of spade connectors. Ordered 8 pairs which will arrive 2 weeks from now.

Last edited:
It was a long time wish to have a speaker/amp selector board. Whatever were available in the market were all imported and either flimsy or too costly. Finally decided to build one at home. First the hunt for a good sturdy two way four pole switch started. Ultimately settled on this switch which is typically used in electrical panels.

Plan was to get two switches and 16 speaker binding posts and use the switch to direct the output from one of two amps to one of the two speaker pairs I had. One switch would select the amp and the other switch would select the speaker. The next challenge was to get a good housing made and @Beginner_N was kind enough to make one. Thank you Nishant. The initial design was to have one box but the though of having 16 binding posts on the back didn't visualize well in my mind. So we made two boxes and ordered two more switches.

View attachment 75514

The bare speaker box
View attachment 75515

View attachment 75516
View attachment 75517

Assembly in progress. I used only two of the four poles.

View attachment 75518

View attachment 75519

Final assembled boxes. Tested with multimeter which showed 0 ohms (in reality it must be few milliohms).

View attachment 75520

View attachment 75523

View attachment 75521

These boxes will be very near the speakers (one on the left and one on the right). I now need to make 4 pair of short speaker wires terminated with spade or banana connector. That will be for tomorrow.
Really well made and boxes look damn neat. Even the binding posts are really nice. What brand are they ? Are these the Dayton Audio posts ?

Really well made and boxes look damn neat. Even the binding posts are really nice. What brand are they ? Are these the Dayton Audio posts ?
These are from https://theaudiocrafts.com. Made in Taiwan. The daytone audio posts are as good but I have stopped dealing with diyaudiocrafts after it went away from Bibin. They just don't respond to emails now. I believe they use whatsapp. But I stay away from whatsapp after our govt has started spying on the posts using pegasus

These are from https://theaudiocrafts.com. Made in Taiwan. The daytone audio posts are as good but I have stopped dealing with diyaudiocrafts after it went away from Bibin. They just don't respond to emails now. I believe they use whatsapp. But I stay away from whatsapp after our govt has started spying on the posts using pegasus
I chime with you sir, similar experience recently with them, but since they were the only ones who had stock of Dayton Audio 1.5mh aircore inductors, was forced to buy from them. I prefer Aminder from Audiocrafts too.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back