DIY stereo amp - guidance & help needed

anshulkwatra

Friends,

Need help / guidance towards building a DIY stereo amp for powering 4/8ohm speakers that I have in stock at home. They are gathering dust and would rather want to use them for some better use. Plan is to add it to my CRT as either the main speakers or as the rear speakers (depending on the amp type)

I remember assembling a 10W RMS amp using a Elecktor India kit based on a Philips IC (TDAxxxxx) during school. It had very clear sound and was LOUD. Had put it in the kitchen for mom to listen to music by coupling to a MW/FM receiver (DIY).

So for remencies case, would prefer to make it. And considering not having done this for YEARS, would prefer assembling from a kit.

Need help from the experts if there are any online kits available in India that can be considered; would appreciate the help.

Thanks
Anshul

Hi,

Presently, I am building an Amp based on LM 3886. PCB purchased from ebay.in and components locally.

If you want any details, please let me know.

Regards,
Suresh Babu

I think the IC you are referring to was the TDA2020.

The easiest thing to do would be to drive down to your nearest electronics spare parts store, pick up an assembled PCB (if in Delhi, brands like HRC have a wide range of these kits with different power outputs), get a cabinet from the same shop, some knobs, switches, RCA sockets, a power transformer, come home, put it together, solder the connectors and transformer, and you'll have your amp ready. Its as simple as that :)

If you are more adventerous, buy the unassembled PCB and components and do the build from scratch.

@reubensm

Thanks. That probably was the chip. And I had picked the kit (PCB + components) from a Elecktor retailer at Lajpat Rai then.

Last time I had visited Lajpat Rai, most of the shops selling components/kits in retail had moved on to ROBOT kits. When I asked for an amp kit, they shooed me away saying that nowadays kids make robots, not amps anymore. :clapping:

Would you mind elaborating on HRC, I do not know about this brand/shop etc.

@reubensm

Thanks. That probably was the chip. And I had picked the kit (PCB + components) from a Elecktor retailer at Lajpat Rai then.

Last time I had visited Lajpat Rai, most of the shops selling components/kits in retail had moved on to ROBOT kits. When I asked for an amp kit, they shooed me away saying that nowadays kids make robots, not amps anymore. :clapping:

HRC used to be a well know brand associated with assembled hits. I think it stood for Harbinder or Harinder Radio Corporation. Even here in Trivandrum, back in those days, their kits used to be available all over the place.

@reubensm

Analogue DIY is dying :sad: I fear whether we will still be able to pursue this hobby after 5 or 10 years.
It is the scenario everywhere. Many shops have converted from selling electronic parts to mobile accessories.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back