Do Atmos work only for 4K?

ISO

AFAIK, prime video, Netflix and Hotstar Atmos tittles are 4K only. But wait..., Amazon fire stick non 4K specs contains Dolby Atmos so Atmos should work for non 4K.

Why I'm asking this is I have non 4K TV but 4K capable Atmos ready AVR. I'm satisfied with quality of 1080P and don't have any plan to upgrade for 4K TV.

So, anybody getting Atmos on non 4K TV i.e. HD TV?

Ya both are separate technologies. They are sometimes associated to each other because they came somewhere around same time. But there is no reason new tvs would have one independent to other.

Yesterday I did dome testing on my atmos setup and it is indeed true that prime video and hotstar don't have Atmos that will work for 1080P TV.

Prime video has upgraded from DD to DD+. Rear surround speakers are now alive (7.1). Then I checked DD+ on 5.1.2 Atmos speaker setup on 'Straight' mode. Height speaker remain silent. Now there was big surprise...

I was thinking how to utilise height speaker of Atmos on DD+ so that I can take advantage of DD+ and Atmos from blueray without changing configuration. I read on some forums about Dolby up-mixing but I didn't know to do that. Accidentally I chose 'Auto' surround mode on Yamaha AVR that brought 'Dolby surround' decoder' Now my Atmos speakers come to life on DD+.

Beauty of this decoder is it can detect surround mode of incoming audio and and utilise it for e.g. for Atmos, I won't do any up-mixing because all speakers are utilised. On DD and DD+ it will utilise Atmos height speaker by up-mixing.

Yamaha has recommended this decoder for streaming services.

AFAIK, prime video, Netflix and Hotstar Atmos tittles are 4K only. But wait..., Amazon fire stick non 4K specs contains Dolby Atmos so Atmos should work for non 4K.

Why I'm asking this is I have non 4K TV but 4K capable Atmos ready AVR. I'm satisfied with quality of 1080P and don't have any plan to upgrade for 4K TV.

So, anybody getting Atmos on non 4K TV i.e. HD TV?
while 4K and atmos are independent, OTT streams are a video + audio bundle as you can imagine.
Unfortunately for most video streaming services , ATMOS streams are available only in the 4K bundle ((ATV+ is an exception))

so even though 1080p is not technically a constraint for ATMOS, with OTT providers, it does become a practical constraint

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back