Do AV Receivers really Bi-amp or just Bi-wire?

Nice analogy regarding the grid and household. Much clearer now. Well I suppose this explains the better clarity etc and the ideal would be to strip the passive XO and use active XO as you have suggested. Thanks once again for taking pains to enlighten me.

While going through 706 manual i came across that when multichannel input is used then you cant use Bi-amp speakers.

While going through 706 manual i came across that when multichannel input is used then you cant use Bi-amp speakers.

Pugan, this statement is confusing, and what exactly is your question? Can you extract the statement from the manual, paste it here, and then ask you question?

Cheers

Pugan, this statement is confusing, and what exactly is your question? Can you extract the statement from the manual, paste it here, and then ask you question?

Cheers

Sorry if my question confused you .

here is from manual- The multichannel DVD input cannot be used if
Speakers Type is set to Bi-Amp.

when the Bi-amp setup is used , multichannel input is useless.

You must read the text in conjunction with what else is written. The paragraph is as follows:

Onkyo 706 Manual Page 55 said:
The multichannel DVD input is for connecting a component with a 7.1-channel analog audio output, such as a DVD-Audio or SACD-capable DVD player, or an MPEG decoder. See page 27 for hookup information.

Press the [MULTI CH] button. Multich appears on the display. Audio from the multichannel DVD input will now be used for the DVD input source.

While the multichannel DVD input is selected, the Speaker Configuration settings on page 73 are ignored, and signals from the multichannel input are fed to the speakers as they are.

• The multichannel DVD input cannot be used if Speakers Type is set to Bi-Amp (see page 45).
  • This procedure can also be performed on the AV receiver/AV amplifier by using its [MULTI CH] button.

In another thread we had discussed that most AVRs do not have the capability to decode DVD-A and SACD. So if you using such media, they have to be decoded by the player and fed to the AVR as 6 or eight channels of analogue signals.

Now when you are feeding analogue signals to the AVR, it has no control over the content. All it does is amplify the sound and feed it to the speakers. So what data goes to the 'Rear L&R' is decided by the player and not the AVR.

When you bi-amp, the AVR needs to set aside the data going to the 'Rear L&R' channels, feed them with the front L&R data and route them to the front speakers. Naturally this can be done by the AVR only if it has control over the audio data. In other words, the decoding has to be done by the AVR.

Cheers

Last edited:
You must read the text in conjunction with what else is written. The paragraph is as follows:

In another thread we had discussed that most AVRs do not have the capability to decode DVD-A and SACD. So if you using such media, they have to be decoded by the player and fed to the AVR as 6 or eight channels of analogue signals.

Now when you are feeding analogue signals to the AVR, it has no control over the content. All it does is amplify the sound and feed it to the speakers. So what data goes to the to the 'Rear L&R' is decided by the player and not the AVR.

When you bi-amp, the AVR needs to set aside the data going to the 'Rear L&R' channels, feed them with the front L&R data and route them to the front speakers. Naturally this can be done by the AVR only if it has control over the audio data. In other words, the decoding has to be done by the AVR.

Cheers

I forgot about decoding of the signal coming from.thanks for clearing that out.:eek:

Hi,
I was looking to get improvements in 2 channel SQ without investing in a power amp.
I have HTPC based setup, with ESI@Juli connected to my AVR Yam 863 with RX6 as fronts..
I am quite happy with the SQ in PureDirect mode so far.. but now i am looking to improve on that since i have added more FLACs to my collection.
I have the following options
1) Bi Amp RX6, using the the extra sp option available in 863.. here my doubt is on the power.. the RX6 are rated at 125w@6ohms and yam gives 105w@8ohms, which means that at 6 it should be roughly around 120..would bi-amping be effective?Also is there a chance on damaging the speakers?
2) Add a better DAC/sound processer
3) Having a power amp instead of 863: This option is suggested mostly in the forums, where for stereo listening everybody recommends a 2 channel amp. I am sort of confused on this..my doubt is that the DAC is providing the input to the amp (in my case yam863) isn't that same what yam863 does by amplification of signal.. how does a 2 channel power amp does the job better. (sorry on on searching for this in amplifiers section). Is there improvement in quality if i chose a dedicated amp. Also how do i connect the same pair of speakers to both the Amp/Avr at once..

.. how does a 2 channel power amp does the job better. (sorry on on searching for this in amplifiers section). Is there improvement in quality if i chose a dedicated amp. Also how do i connect the same pair of speakers to both the Amp/Avr at once..

A stereo integrated amp is meant for Stereo Listenning only whereas an AVR is meant for Movies only which also plays music, the difference between the two decreases with the expensive AVRs due to the better quality component usage in it.
However to your other question of adding another stereo amp to your setup: yes you can by connecting your Front Speakers through it you can use the HT Bypass feature of that stereo Integrated amp to connect to your existing AVR if it has pre outs. So you can enjoy the benefits of both worlds with not much expense.

A stereo integrated amp is meant for Stereo Listenning only whereas an AVR is meant for Movies only which also plays music, the difference between the two decreases with the expensive AVRs due to the better quality component usage in it.
However to your other question of adding another stereo amp to your setup: yes you can by connecting your Front Speakers through it you can use the HT Bypass feature of that stereo Integrated amp to connect to your existing AVR if it has pre outs. So you can enjoy the benefits of both worlds with not much expense.

thanks ashish..
i found a thread for connectivity options of the amp with avr..
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/2816-connecting-pre-out-pre-amp.html

now it seems that to improve the quality i need either a pre-amp or an integrated amp rather than a power amp..
anyways decided to do a lot of reading before making the decision.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back