Do expensive HDMI cables make a difference?

hamhifi

These days most people use HDMI to connect their sources to their TVs but do expensive cables make any difference to picture quality?

I guess no is probably the answer. If an hdmi cable works it will or else it wont at all. Google around and this is all what you can find. However buying good thicker quality cables can prove to be good if you plan to use them for longer spans of time as well as lengths. A longer cable requires really good quality cables inside. So it is not interfered by other devices and signals. I guess even the basic monoprice cables available in us are good enough.

The HDMI cable carries only digital signals. Even with loss on it , the receiver at the end will be able to handle it . Most circuitry can recover the digital signal very well and so you shouldn't hear any difference. Being digital there will be no such thing as bass or treble loss which is typically an analog issue.
However good cables will be terminated with long lasting reliable plugs. I have heard of picture problems with bad connections at the connector. have a look at the connectors before buying. They shouldn't be flimsy.

yoda.gif

"Beaten to pulp, this subject is. Search you forum must. But find conclusive answer you will not."
Master Yoda also says : "Racking 'up' old debates is good for forum not. genuinely interested if you are, engage in existing thread "

Nope! Don't see any difference whatsoever on my top of the line(albeit old) Philips TV. If there was, I'd have bought good cables by now.

This is coming from someone who has interconnects and speaker cables costing over 100k in his primary audio setup.

the differences become apparent in cases of longer runs where an active ckt embedded into the cable at both ends comes into play

some good cables offer this ckt when lengths exceed 8m

yoda.gif

"Beaten to pulp, this subject is. Search you forum must. But find conclusive answer you will not."
Master Yoda also says : "Racking 'up' old debates is good for forum not. genuinely interested if you are, engage in existing thread "
Well said Hiten.

One difference that a cheaper cable does make is the reliability of the cable itself.
One of my cheap cables recently conked off after a year of use for no visible reason.
The Belkin ones are running fine for the last 5 years or so.

Good HDMI cables vs the stock TataSky HDMI is like getting a TV upgrade. I use the Chord Activ HDMI 1.4 . Amazingggg improvement. Would hightly recommend in investing in a good HDMI cable while buying a new TV. Throw the tatasky cables away...( dont even give it away )..

Last edited:
Hdmi cable either works or not, maybe have some feature or not but quality of content transfer is same video and audio

Not very hifi brand but I have replaced the stock cable with BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable, it have clearly improved the picture. Color tones are much smooth and seems to be more shades are visible than before (compared to the cheaper or free one.) I am happy with BlueRigger HDMI Cable.

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of people are confused about things like " Color tones are much smooth and seems to be more shades are visible than before " .

The transmission is digital and it isn't like a goods train where boogies can be removed arbitrarily causing signal errors. The signal is there or it is not. The receiver at the other end can recover the signal even if the levels are down at the end. Only very long runs might need devices to raise the signal enroute.

So why are some people seeing differences ? Maybe they should do a double blind check . As they say, 'we will see what we expect to see' !;)

@Fantastic & Others: Hi end cables are certainly not snake oil. Have you actually used a high end HDMI ? I would not get too carried away by what is written on the internet.

@Fantastic & Others: Hi end cables are certainly not snake oil. Have you actually used a high end HDMI ? I would not get too carried away by what is written on the internet.

That's what I'm asking. Has anyone done a 'blind' AB test. This will require help and possibly some really good media.
It IS possible, but has anyone done a test to check it out for possible flaws?
Like,for example, all film capacitors ( say polyester) should sound the same. But some do sound different ! We did some AB tests on that. However the effect varies with the system it is tried on. Within one system, the effect is repeatable.

It's good fun checking out all this ! Then you can pick something which you know really works in your own system. ;)

Yes have A/B different HDMI cables in a blind test. Results are visibly and clearly distinguishable. Used TS stock cable, Chord HDMI Active and one more ( name i cant recall now). Cost comparison was ( Free, 6k, 1.8 k)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back