Do I need a Media Player??

Thanks Hydra for the detailed response.
So looks like in the options below, I'd need a TV or PC/ Laptop to be used to navigate through tracks etc, which I was hoping to avoid.
I did some more research, and was wondering if I could use my iPod connected to a dock, which in turn is connected to the amp?
I could convert all my FLAC files to wav first and then to Apple Lossless format and store it in this format on the iPod...let me know if you guys think this is a good idea. This is a convenient option because my wife would not need to mess around with the TV/ laptop etc;)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Boban

It does look like a media player will be what suits your needs.

Your options are:

Media Player (like WDTV Live) =
- PC/Laptop need not be connected.
- Files can be played from a HDD/USB Thumb drive.
- Players like WDTV live can be used to stream Internet radio (with an Internet Connection)
- Will play a variety of audio & video formats.
- Will need a TV to be connected so you can see what you're doing (select/scroll through tracks/folders). I think a monitor that takes a HDMI input might also do this (not sure of this).

Squeezebox Touch =
- PC/Laptop/NAS will need to be connected (with squeezebox server running)
- Does not work very well with a large capacity HDD (esp.USB powered HDD). Will work with a USB thumbdrive.
- Will stream Internet radio (with an Internet Connection)
- Will not need a TV to be connected. It has a 4.3" touchscreen and a remote that you can use to select/scroll through tracks).
- Almost 3 times the cost of a media player like WDTV Live if bought from abroad. A lot more costlier if bought from India.

HTPC/Music PC =
- PC needs to be running
- Will need a monitor or TV to be connected so you can see what you're doing (select/scroll through tracks/folders).
- Maximum format compatibility.
- Maximum flexibility/control.
- Highly expandable/upgradable.
- Costliest option (Depending on your needs, a Music PC can also be setup at about the same cost as a Squeezebox touch, not counting the monitor/TV).

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back