Do I need a phono amp

Hi..
I am currently using denon 29f TT with Denon X520bt and wharfedale D320 bookshelves..Amazing clarity but I feel the volume need to be cranked up to 62 and above for normal listening .Is this normal or I need something else ? please suggest

Normally inbuilt phono preamp on the amp or receiver or turntable, the gain is low. Its absolutely normal. If u love the existing sound dnt need any upgarde to external imo..

Upgrade to an external phono preamp with gain settings. The Schiit Mani is great value for money . It has gain settings of 30, 42 and 48db. 42db will bring the volume up to line level inputs (CD/DVD/Media player,etc). The audio quality is also miles ahead of your built in phono.

Hi..
I am currently using denon 29f TT with Denon X520bt and wharfedale D320 bookshelves..Amazing clarity but I feel the volume need to be cranked up to 62 and above for normal listening .Is this normal or I need something else ? please suggest
you've wired the denon 29F to a AVR that has generic inputs (Audio In, I would assume) and assuming you have the internal phonostage of the turntable, turned on, it is not surprising that you have to crank up the volume. This particular model of AVR that you have has inputs that are suitable for DVD and other digital media video players. The audio output of these media players is generally a little higher than usual sources (especially phono preamps, tape decks, etc) and hence the input sensitivity required for them would be much less (please refer to the specs of your AVR and check this). So you have 2 options literally - (1) change your phonostage to one which has a high gain output or adjustable gain output and (2) introduce a low gain preamplifier stage between your Denon turntable with the inbuilt phonostage turned on, and your AVR.

Picking up products of the shelf may be an expensive option, perhaps coaxing a friend to build you a CNC phonostage with an additional gain stage would be a more cost-effective but high quality option. If you have this, you can actually turn off the Denon's internal phonostage and use the CNC instead.

Alternately, you can just turn up the volume and continue to enjoy your music with no damage done (provided you lower the volume levels when switching to other sources :))

Upgrade to an external phono preamp with gain settings. The Schiit Mani is great value for money . It has gain settings of 30, 42 and 48db. 42db will bring the volume up to line level inputs (CD/DVD/Media player,etc). The audio quality is also miles ahead of your built in phono.

Thanks .if I upgrade to phono preamp and still connect to avr is it ok or I need to have a stereo amplifier ?

you've wired the denon 29F to a AVR that has generic inputs (Audio In, I would assume) and assuming you have the internal phonostage of the turntable, turned on, it is not surprising that you have to crank up the volume. This particular model of AVR that you have has inputs that are suitable for DVD and other digital media video players. The audio output of these media players is generally a little higher than usual sources (especially phono preamps, tape decks, etc) and hence the input sensitivity required for them would be much less (please refer to the specs of your AVR and check this). So you have 2 options literally - (1) change your phonostage to one which has a high gain output or adjustable gain output and (2) introduce a low gain preamplifier stage between your Denon turntable with the inbuilt phonostage turned on, and your AVR.

Picking up products of the shelf may be an expensive option, perhaps coaxing a friend to build you a CNC phonostage with an additional gain stage would be a more cost-effective but high quality option. If you have this, you can actually turn off the Denon's internal phonostage and use the CNC instead.

Alternately, you can just turn up the volume and continue to enjoy your music with no damage done (provided you lower the volume levels when switching to other sources :))
U r right..I have connected the TT to cab/sat input of AVR..as it does not have a phono input..maybe I need to change this AVR to stereo amp with phono input.Will that solve the problem or would I still need phono preamp?

U r right..I have connected the TT to cab/sat input of AVR..as it does not have a phono input..maybe I need to change this AVR to stereo amp with phono input.Will that solve the problem or would I still need phono preamp?
Replacing the AVR itself with a stereo amp with a phono input is a major change (but is the best method), assuming your AVR is not in use for video. However in the context of your requirement, it seems a bit over the top. It would be similar to a situation where one's car tyres are noisy and instead of upgrading them, one changes the whole car itself :). A phono stage is a good option but you have to choose wisely keeping in mind the output level specs of the phonostage of your choice and the input sensitivity of your AVR. If you are not careful with this aspect, the new phonostage may also produce the same result as your current situation.

Hi..
For your setup, for the time being, don't change anything.
Turntable/ vinyls are mysterious things. When the time comes for an upgrade, you will automatically know.

You can connect it to your avr. Since your issue is low output, if the gain on a new stereo amp's phono stage is around 32-39 db, you will again get the same level....which is why I suggested a phono preamp with gain settings

Mani would cost the same as his whole rig. Possibly best saved for the time when he gets his next table/ cartridge.

Hi

I am not satisfied with this turntable thing..the voice goes up and down and there is too much vibration kind of sound .
Is this the LP problem..I got some preowned LP’s playing ..I tried one new LP too ..but similar issue if not that bad like preowned.
What should I do

Hi..
From the specs, DP-29F has a built in phono which can be switched on or off. If switched on the output of the TT can be plugged directly to any line level input of amplifier or AVR. If switched off the output of the TT MUST be plugged into an external phono preamp. Output of the external phono preamp must then be plugged into line level input of amplifier or AVR.

Since you're not using external phono preamp, is the built in phono of the 29f switched on? If it's not on you'll get only a faint sound because the output from the cartridge is very low and is not enough to drive the line level input of an amplifier or AVR.

From the specs, DP-29F has a built in phono which can be switched on or off. If switched on the output of the TT can be plugged directly to any line level input of amplifier or AVR. If switched off the output of the TT MUST be plugged into an external phono preamp. Output of the external phono preamp must then be plugged into line level input of amplifier or AVR.

Since you're not using external phono preamp, is the built in phono of the 29f switched on? If it's not on you'll get only a faint sound because the output from the cartridge is very low and is not enough to drive the line level input of an amplifier or AVR.
Thanks for the detailed walkthrough of how each component works and how they need to be connected for the best output.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back