Do i need an amplifier ? If so, which one?

Imrahn

First of all, am a complete noob at hifi and as such, plz go easy on me :)

As my very FIRST foray into audiophile world, i decided to go for a Yamaha RXV-663 receiver with a Wharfedale 9.1 setup( 4 x 9.1, 1 x 9.CS and 1 x SW-150)....

Should getting a amplifier for the speakers provide much better audio for me? Or will the receiver suffice? If an amp is recommended, plz recommend a cost effective one in the range of 10k or so for the 5.1 setup.

Thanx in advance for any sort of help.

Regards

Imrahn

If you want for music,Norge goes well with Wharf as posted by other members.
Marantz amp too can match with them.

Searching the forums before posting has the following global, local, national, social, and civic benefits (aside from preventing global warming):

1. It reduces the global Internet bandwidth consumption for needless posts, where information already resides in the HFV database. This reduces global warming (reducing consumption of any resource reduces global warming, according to latest (pseudo) scientific studies).

2. It reduces local Indian bandwidth by eliminating member replies to needless posts. This reduces global warming (see point 1. for explanation).

3. It reduces wear and tear of keyboards, fingers, and mice, both for writing and replying to needless posts. This reduces need to recycle these items early, again reducing global warming.

4. It reduces energy consumption of local, remote computers, the HFV server, and the HFV moderators to analyse, host, and store needless posts and threads spawning from them. This (as you have guessed) reduces global warming.

5. It helps the social and family fabric of our members by allowing them to spend less time replying to needless posts, thus allowing more time spent with either their music or their loved ones. This leads to social, civic, and national harmony. This also reduces global warming (because I say so).

6. It prevents me from having to write such lengthy posts about why searching in the forum before needlessly posting is useful. This helps my physical, mental, and spiritual well-being, which again translates into (local) civic, social, and national harmony, since I am better behaved with people around me if I am less irritated. This also reduces global warming (QED).

That being said, welcome to HFV ;). Please search the forums and you will find (more than one) extensive threads on exactly the answer you're seeking.
If you have any additional (or slightly different question) please feel free to post and all of us will be happy to help you out.

-Jinx.

@OP,the 663 is a good avr,and the tonality may even pleasantly surprise u esp on direct mode for 2ch listening.that said,purist views will always try to separate music from movies,hence the avr and an integrated amp requirement for most people.the wharfs are a great speaker set,esp the diamond 9.xxx series,and they should pair well with the yam.do also check out QA(10xx/20xx),even the MISSION M series,with the avr and decide.norge does make good amps at their price point,spiro has mentioned some models.enjoy the hunt.cheers
@Ajinkya,nice one jinx.LOL

Imrahn, I am not sure what you are aiming for but the Yamaha vx663 is a reciever as well as an amplifier(for 7 channels, plus lfe out for powered subwoofer, you cannot use passive subwoofer). It has enough power to drive your Wharfedale speaker package. It will do well for movies and will give give a decent performance in pure stereo/direct mode.

If you are looking at improving performance for music, just get a stereo int amp for the front two speakers.
P.s Are you getting the 663 for the same price you had mentioned earlier?

Searching the forums before posting has the following global, local, national, social, and civic benefits (aside from preventing global warming):

1. It reduces the global Internet bandwidth consumption for needless posts, where information already resides in the HFV database. This reduces global warming (reducing consumption of any resource reduces global warming, according to latest (pseudo) scientific studies).

2. It reduces local Indian bandwidth by eliminating member replies to needless posts. This reduces global warming (see point 1. for explanation).

3. It reduces wear and tear of keyboards, fingers, and mice, both for writing and replying to needless posts. This reduces need to recycle these items early, again reducing global warming.

4. It reduces energy consumption of local, remote computers, the HFV server, and the HFV moderators to analyse, host, and store needless posts and threads spawning from them. This (as you have guessed) reduces global warming.

5. It helps the social and family fabric of our members by allowing them to spend less time replying to needless posts, thus allowing more time spent with either their music or their loved ones. This leads to social, civic, and national harmony. This also reduces global warming (because I say so).

6. It prevents me from having to write such lengthy posts about why searching in the forum before needlessly posting is useful. This helps my physical, mental, and spiritual well-being, which again translates into (local) civic, social, and national harmony, since I am better behaved with people around me if I am less irritated. This also reduces global warming (QED).

That being said, welcome to HFV ;). Please search the forums and you will find (more than one) extensive threads on exactly the answer you're seeking.
If you have any additional (or slightly different question) please feel free to post and all of us will be happy to help you out.

-Jinx.

Well said.:)

Thanx @ all for suggestions , and nice one there Ajinkya - will do my homework before bothering next time....but never using a receiver or amp beforehand,am at sea hearing abt various amps(pre? power?) and preferred a discussion rather than googling.Again, my fault.

@iaudio: yep, the same receiver with a couple K reduction in the price.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back