Do I need a power amplifier?

Manish Sharma

Hi
Sorry if i am asking an absurd question…I jus wanna know do I need a power amp if my AVR has class D amplification…I cudnt get the real specs of the amp section of my Pioneer SC-LX-87 AVR but in their manual following is written -
Amplifier Section-
Multi Channel simultaneous power output (1 khz, 1%, 8 ohm)
9 ch total …………….850w
Rated power output (1 khz, 4ohm, 1%, 1 ch Driven) ……………….260w
Rated power output (1khz, 6ohm, 1%, 1 ch Driven) ………………………..220w
Total Harmonic Distortion ………….0.04% (1khz, 130w + 130w, 8ohm)

Speakers used are-
- Front LR - QAcoustics 3050i Tower (91db sensitivity), Average impedance 6ohms, Minimum impedance 4ohms), stereo amp (25-100w)
, AVR (2ch Driven) - (50-165w)

- Centre Channel - QAcoustics 3090Ci (89 Db sensitivity), Rest specs same as 3050i

- Ceiling - Klipsch CS16II ( 91db Sensitivity, 40watt RMS, 8ohm impedance)

- Surround Rear - QAcoustics - 7000LR ( 85db sensitivity, Power Handling (15-100w), Impedance 6ohm

LISTENING POSITION - 2.87 meters from the LR fronts

Using AURIS BLUME PRO Bluetooth DAC to transfer music via LDAC connection from SONY walkman NW-A105

1. Will I be benefitted in sound quality if I add a power amp??
2. My listening volume is always in minus i.e -30db to -20db, is this ok?
3. If I add a power amp then should I go for Emotiva BasX A7 or Marantz MM8077 according to my AVR
4. Why do these AVR manufacturers never mention their real specs ranging 20hz-20khz power output

Plz help what I need to do

Hi
Sorry if i am asking an absurd question…I jus wanna know do I need a power amp if my AVR has class D amplification…I cudnt get the real specs of the amp section of my Pioneer SC-LX-87 AVR but in their manual following is written -
Amplifier Section-
9 ch total …………….850w

Speakers used are-
- Front LR - QAcoustics 3050i Tower (91db sensitivity), Average impedance 6ohms, Minimum impedance 4ohms), stereo amp (25-100w)

- Centre Channel - QAcoustics 3090Ci (89 Db sensitivity), Rest specs same as 3050i

- Surround Rear - QAcoustics - 7000LR ( 85db sensitivity, Power Handling (15-100w), Impedance 6ohm

Using AURIS BLUME PRO Bluetooth DAC to transfer music via LDAC connection from SONY walkman NW-A105

3. If I add a power amp then should I go for Emotiva BasX A7 or Marantz MM8077 according to my AVR
4. Why do these AVR manufacturers never mention their real specs ranging 20hz-20khz power output

Hi Manish :)

Your speakers are very effecient. And the AVR is way more powerful than is needed. No point getting an additional poweramp, unless you are unhappy with the presentation. All the best.

Hi
Amplifier Section-
9 ch total …………….850w

Speakers used are-

Best is if you can measure AVR power consumption with a smart plug. I had measured this for my AVR - Denon 2500H and with subwoofer it was consuming less than 100 Watts (5.1.2) set up. Hence the speakers may not be demanding that much power. Adding power amps may only add flavor to the sound but may not add any benefit from a power requirement perspective.

Hi Manish :)

Your speakers are very effecient. And the AVR is way more powerful than is needed. No point getting an additional poweramp, unless you are unhappy with the presentation. All the best.
Hi Manohar ji…The specs are rated for 1 channel driven that too at 1 khz…I have read fee peoples review that after installing a power amp they cud listen to certain frequencies which were supressed before…And few have stated that their speakers came to life after getting a power amp

Hi Manohar ji…The specs are rated for 1 channel driven that too at 1 khz…I have read fee peoples review that after installing a power amp they cud listen to certain frequencies which were supressed before…And few have stated that their speakers came to life after getting a power amp
Yeah opinions do vary on the net Manish :)

But qouted power of 260W even with one channel driven, shows plenty of power is available on tap. . With the Qacoustics being at 90db/ watt, you are never using more than a few watts at any time. Now factor in the bass being sent to a subwoofer, so that makes the life of the AVR even easier.

So that AVR is enough to drive you deaf, if you are not careful with the volume knob :p .

I had a parasound halo many years back driving the front L&R QA concept 40's ( also 90db ). When I removed that 160 watt per channel amp, and drove the speakers directly from the marantz AVR, there was no audible difference at all. I sold the parasound and pockteded some money. So thats my contradicting expereince there :)

But as I said, if you can try before you buy, then no harm. But it will be a different presentation, more than a out right better sound. All the best :)

Edit : The above said, if the speakers were not 90db effecient, and more like 88 or 87. Then the AVR would have struggled to drive them. In which case, there would be very audible gains in adding an additional poweramp.

Yeah opinions do vary on the net Manish :)

But qouted power of 260W even with one channel driven, shows plenty of power is available on tap. . With the Qacoustics being at 90db/ watt, you are never using more than a few watts at any time. Now factor in the bass being sent to a subwoofer, so that makes the life of the AVR even easier.

So that AVR is enough to drive you deaf, if you are not careful with the volume knob :p .

I had a parasound halo many years back driving the front L&R QA concept 40's ( also 90db ). When I removed that 160 watt per channel amp, and drove the speakers directly from the marantz AVR, there was no audible difference at all. I sold the parasound and pockteded some money. So thats my contradicting expereince there :)

But as I said, if you can try before you buy, then no harm. But it will be a different presentation, more than a out right better sound. All the best :)

Edit : The above said, if the speakers were not 90db effecient, and more like 88 or 87. Then the AVR would have struggled to drive them. In which case, there would be very audible gains in adding an additional poweramp.
Got it bro…There is a bad habit of mine to keep thinking something beyond always…I am satisfied with the sound quality I am getting but still there is always an urge to find more…This thing is driving me crazy and not being able to focus on work…I have jus one hobby of music only…Feels like i am trapped in some addiction

1. Yeah opinions do vary on the net Manish :)
2. So that AVR is enough to drive you deaf, if you are not careful with the volume knob :p .

3. I had a parasound halo many years back driving the front L&R QA concept 40's ( also 90db ). When I removed that 160 watt per channel amp, and drove the speakers directly from the marantz AVR, there was no audible difference at all. I sold the parasound and pockteded some money. So thats my contradicting expereince there :)
Some golden words spoken here. Placebo is real. So what you hear from other people (especially the 2 channel guys :p), isn't what your own ears will experience. AVR's are not bad. Lot of research has gone into making them especially those that have the ability to calibrate with a mic provided with the AVR. Also almost all AVRs have the ability to turn off all channels other than L+R. I happen to be another guy who is extremely happy with his AVR

Best is if you can measure AVR power consumption with a smart plug. I had measured this for my AVR - Denon 2500H and with subwoofer it was consuming less than 100 Watts (5.1.2) set up. Hence the speakers may not be demanding that much power. Adding power amps may only add flavor to the sound but may not add any benefit from a power requirement perspective.
What smart plug you are using , please send the link
Thank you

You can use the Wipro Smart plugs. I use them for everything from my aquarium setups to garden watering system to wherever else I can fit them in :) I have never used them with Audio devices, but I would. Though many audiophiles may not :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back