Do Upgrade from Sony HT-M5 to Sony shake 66d makes sense?

The drivers are manufactured as per need of usage. In car audio even though we can't hear the bass we can feel it easily by vibrations all over the seats, roof, dashboard etc and that's really enjoyable. But in home that flex and vibrations won't make much sense as its not that easy to shake the room built of concrete lol! So indeed to feel those lows I am thinking of adding subs in my bed storage as bass is unidirectional I can feel it while sitting on bed & enjoy the music at the same time lol. I know that sounds funny but I am gonna try it once!

It is not funny at all my friend. I have around 4-5 with sub woofers in them. If people can understand doing this getting the worlds best subwoofer. There are a number of benifits over traditional subwoofers and over tactile transducers. I have been researching and doing it for over 6 years now. Have learnt a lot of secret to get the lows out of car subs in homes. You will experience bass that cannot be heard. I could get effects of upto 16 hz.

Now dont go for dj amps as you already have monobloks. Drive power from the inverter. I use dj amps. They are cheap and quality doesnt matter very much when you are using them only for bass. Your amps would be having all the controls you require.
Just put your sub in your bed and power them up. You would require some spliter cables to get the sub out from your sony system into two amps at the same time. Or if it does not have sub out you can use high to low impedance converter and cut the subwoofer wires and take input from there for the amps.

Feel free to contact if you need any help.

And do play injustice on your bed when you are done with the project. This game has the best low frequency vibrations. You will feel like you are in thr arena when a player falls on the ground.

All the best

It is not funny at all my friend. I have around 4-5 with sub woofers in them. If people can understand doing this getting the worlds best subwoofer. There are a number of benifits over traditional subwoofers and over tactile transducers. I have been researching and doing it for over 6 years now. Have learnt a lot of secret to get the lows out of car subs in homes. You will experience bass that cannot be heard. I could get effects of upto 16 hz.

Now dont go for dj amps as you already have monobloks. Drive power from the inverter. I use dj amps. They are cheap and quality doesnt matter very much when you are using them only for bass. Your amps would be having all the controls you require.
Just put your sub in your bed and power them up. You would require some spliter cables to get the sub out from your sony system into two amps at the same time. Or if it does not have sub out you can use high to low impedance converter and cut the subwoofer wires and take input from there for the amps.

Feel free to contact if you need any help.

And do play injustice on your bed when you are done with the project. This game has the best low frequency vibrations. You will feel like you are in thr arena when a player falls on the ground.

All the best
Wow man! Glad to hear that someone is already in same boat! I will definitely do this now. I will get customized bed built for this will hydraulic opening so that I can easily open it anytime I feel to see my setup. I will keep everything inside the bed 2 amps 2 subs with enclosures & the inverter. I would love to see your setup. Which DJ amp you are using? Which subs u are using? What type of enclosure? How you have mounted them? Do u need need to sit on bed or u can feel lows all over the room? I am amazed to see someone doing this yaar! At least I am on right path! I was so worried about this project as everyone told me this thing isn't gonna work! Husshhh a deep breath! Thanks a lot. Waiting eagerly to see ur setup. [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Another thing I had in my mind is as am getting custom bed built now should I add subs in some wall of bed? Front firing? Would that work better than keeping subs in bed storage with individual enclosures? If I install subs in bed wall they will either get huge room or will work like infinite baffle! I can add 2 more subs that means total 4 subs to accommodate complete volume of the bed & will give one port for that huge enclosure on same face where the subs are mounted. These are enclosures I have currently.
99234ce8060eda60a153a77d723af5d4.jpg
2e9bcaf709e3ce1bbc0818b7608593a0.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice informative explanation. Agreed to everything you said. These are 12" custom made drivers from Germany. Subs are pretty heavy & claimed to be 1000w rms each. They aren't handled with care while shipping so I need to recone both.
Thats very tricky because the moment you recone the Subs, the T/S parameters are going to change. If you are reconing with Originals, then no problem, but if done otherwise, without T/S parameters, its going to be difficult to design an BoX and tune it.
Another thing about home woofers is that the focus is more bass being audible, rather than all shaking. That's why elegant and accurate drivers which can go low and spread bass through the room are used in home subs. The difference is very clear when you compare subs. SQ is always tougher and more expensive than SPL.
There are all types of Car Subwoofer drivers available, SPL, SQ or SQL, you name it and Subs are available at different cost. Technically, other than sturdiness, for me, all Subs are one when you start selecting subs based on T/S parameters. A Sub with no T/S specs is never a go. The shaking is because of the pressure waves produced from the SUBs. If you keep a home sub tuned low in a car, the same thing will happen.
No offence, but If you really want to up your experience, chuck off that Sony sub and put in a Infinity reference 12( Car Sub). It will not only be louder, but more cleaner and musical too. You will not regret chucking that Sony and may actually thank me. 1 Cuf sealed box should do rite or go ported. The infinity subs are more accommodative and you can try using the same box you have to start with ports blocked.
The drivers are manufactured as per need of usage. In car audio even though we can't hear the bass we can feel it easily by vibrations all over the seats, roof, dashboard etc and that's really enjoyable. But in home that flex and vibrations won't make much sense as its not that easy to shake the room built of concrete lol! So indeed to feel those lows I am thinking of adding subs in my bed storage as bass is unidirectional I can feel it while sitting on bed & enjoy the music at the same time lol. I know that sounds funny but I am gonna try it once!

Fyi, low frequencies are not directional. In a sub operating below sub 20 Hz, most probably you will no hear anything, but feel the pressure waves. If its a properly designed sub, in a blind test, you cannot deduce the location of the sub. Thats the beauty of low frequencies.

Last edited:
Thats very tricky because the moment you recone the Subs, the T/S parameters are going to change. If you are reconing with Originals, then no problem, but if done otherwise, without T/S parameters, its going to be difficult to design an BoX and tune it.

There are all types of Car Subwoofer drivers available, SPL, SQ or SQL, you name it and Subs are available at different cost. Technically, other than sturdiness, for me, all Subs are one when you start selecting subs based on T/S parameters. A Sub with no T/S specs is never a go. The shaking is because of the pressure waves produced rom the SUBs. If you keep a home sub tuned low in a car, the same thing will happen.
No offence, but If you really want to up your experience, chuck off that Sony sub and put in a Infinity reference 12( Car Sub). It will not only be louder, more cleaner and musical too. You will not regret chucking that Sony and may actually thank me. 1 Cuf sealed box should do rite or go ported. The infinity subs are more accommodative and you can try using the same box you have to start with ports blocked.

Fyi, low frequencies are not directional.

Okay I will try existing stuff first then in future as I get extremely powerful DJ amp, I will add one pair of infinity reference or kappa subs as they are known to be pure SQ subs but honestly I am completely spl guy! I had plenty of setups in car but never cared much about 2 pairs of tiny speakers running on head unit whereas I had windshield flexing subs in car! Currently I have 1000w rms subwoofer in car & around 80w rms speakers lol! So what I need is pure bass that's it! I know bass is unidirectional but placing sub in corner of room & in centre of room makes some differences that way I asked him about placement such as inverted subs phased 180 degree. Bottom firing front firing top firing etc. I will first try setup with same boxes I have right now. The sony HT M5 subs won't be going inside the bed bro they will be setup in well defined furniture set for 5.1ch setup. These supplementary subs will play main role as I Will enjoy music all the time sitting on the bed. Thanks a lot for guidance.

No offence, but If you really want to up your experience, chuck off that Sony sub and put in a Infinity reference 12( Car Sub). It will not only be louder, but more cleaner and musical too. You will not regret chucking that Sony and may actually thank me.

As it happens. That's exactly what i use in my car. I have the rf62 12 inch with a 1cuft sealed box. Used it with my home amp. It was cleaner but none of that low bass decay that is cool in movies. Back then my pc was just for movies. For movies, ported. Considering cheap and diy budgets. But sure the infinity was cool for rock and pop music.

Wow man! Glad to hear that someone is already in same boat! I will definitely do this now. I am amazed to see someone doing this yaar! At least I am on right path! I was so worried about this project as everyone told me this thing isn't gonna work! Husshhh a deep breath! Thanks a lot. Waiting eagerly to see ur setup. [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

First of all I would like to thank you very very much for thinking about this option. You have motivated me. Now even I know that I am on the right path. This is the best idea that can come to a bass-freak's mind. First I did all this for fun but the experiment worked so well I decided to take it commercially. I have even applied for a patent. Started a company and looking for investment now.

Wont it be great if one could just go and buy a bed or a sofa like this from a nearby furniture showroom?

I just request you not to call this thing funny again. I have been made fun off many times but it never affected me to take this thing forward.

Anyways let us continue. Time is a constraint for me right now but will actively reply to all your queries.

I would love to see your setup. Which DJ amp you are using? Which subs u are using? What type of enclosure? How you have mounted them? Do u need need to sit on bed or u can feel lows all over the room?

I invite you to Delhi anytime and see my set ups. I have a total of 4 beds to show you. With sealed, bandpass and open baffle type enclosures. I am using a local amp, it keeps the subs underpowered but good enough for the loudness I can listen to in my home. Not using separate enclosure. The bed acts like enclosure/box. Differently mounted in each type of enclosure.
Yes you need to sit on the bed to get the feel but the lows can be felt all over the room as well but sitting on the bed makes a lot and a lot of difference.

I will get customized bed built for this will hydraulic opening so that I can easily open it anytime I feel to see my setup. I will keep everything inside the bed 2 amps 2 subs with enclosures & the inverter.

Another thing I had in my mind is as am getting custom bed built now should I add subs in some wall of bed? Front firing? Would that work better than keeping subs in bed storage with individual enclosures? If I install subs in bed wall they will either get huge room or will work like infinite baffle! I can add 2 more subs that means total 4 subs to accommodate complete volume of the bed & will give one port for that huge enclosure on same face where the subs are mounted. These are enclosures I have currently.

You do not really need to get a custom bed made. This can be done in your present bed. Provided it is with storage underneath. You may have hydraulics but they wont be of much use as you would not really need to see the setup.

Nothing can be kept inside the bed. Inverter produces fumes, I would suggest not to keep it even in the room. Amps need to be connected to the sony system, so it will be a challenge to connect the wires if you put the amps inside the bed, plus the amps would be heavy and will need to be mounted rightly so that they do not make any rattling noise when the subs are playing. The amps would produce heat which is another reason why you cannot keep the amps in the bed. And if something goes wrong with any amp you will have to open everything and then get it repaired. You do not need the enclosures, suggest you sell them on OLX.

If you do not have a bed right now and getting a new one then get it custom made. First thing you need to think if of how much height your bed will be off and then make it as an enclosure accordingly. Subs will be placed on the base of the bed right below your back, that is where you feel the maximum vibrations. In the center 25% below the top. Bottom firing subs or maybe magnet can hang out of the bed. It will give more support to the woofers even though mounting them inverted properly wont give any problems even in the long run. They will get a huge room and it will not be infinite baffle. It gives more low frequency sound and better vibrations but bass is a bit lose but I think it will be perfect in your case as you already have the sony subs for higher range low frequencies. If you want to utilize the complete volume divide the bed from the center by a wooden wall. Then half of the beds volume will be used for 1 sub which will be enough. I think 4 subs are not required at all you can easily do even with 1 sub but you should put 1 in each bed and I am assuming it will be a double bed with 2 single bed units joined with had board and leg board. Keep it a sealed bed enclosure, ports will reduce the vibrations and it is more difficult to build. Do not worry about woofer specs and building a perfect enclosure at all.

What all you have asked is going to be very easy. The difficult part is sealing the bed. Not even a slightest amount of air can be allowed to leak. You will need some silicon and gasket tapes. You need to figure out how to get wires from inverter to the amps and from the amps to the bed. You can keep them open for the time being till you get your house repainted and get them underground(inside walls) That time.

Do search for tactile transducers over the net. Read all about the features and types and specially the testimonials. Meanwhile read the benefits over tactile transducers and traditional subs below

Advantages over Tactile Transducers:

They are not so efficient
They do not produce sound so there is a need of a subwoofer
Separate amplifier required
They need to be properly mounted
Vibrations are less

Advantages over Subwoofers

Subwoofers can be used only to listen to the sound being produced by them, they do not allow the users to feel the vibrations
Subwoofers are very heavy and bulky - They take up a lot of space in the room which is saved when you use furniture as enclosure
Larger subwoofers cannot be used in homes due to their large enclosures
Your seat is the best place for bass. You dont have to try placing the sub at different placed to get the best bass experience
You save money as building enclosure is also an expensive thing. A properly built and finished enclosure can cost a lot.

First of all I would like to thank you very very much for thinking about this option. You have motivated me. Now even I know that I am on the right path. This is the best idea that can come to a bass-freak's mind. First I did all this for fun but the experiment worked so well I decided to take it commercially. I have even applied for a patent. Started a company and looking for investment now.

Wont it be great if one could just go and buy a bed or a sofa like this from a nearby furniture showroom?

I just request you not to call this thing funny again. I have been made fun off many times but it never affected me to take this thing forward.

Anyways let us continue. Time is a constraint for me right now but will actively reply to all your queries.

I invite you to Delhi anytime and see my set ups. I have a total of 4 beds to show you. With sealed, bandpass and open baffle type enclosures. I am using a local amp, it keeps the subs underpowered but good enough for the loudness I can listen to in my home. Not using separate enclosure. The bed acts like enclosure/box. Differently mounted in each type of enclosure.
Yes you need to sit on the bed to get the feel but the lows can be felt all over the room as well but sitting on the bed makes a lot and a lot of difference.

You do not really need to get a custom bed made. This can be done in your present bed. Provided it is with storage underneath. You may have hydraulics but they wont be of much use as you would not really need to see the setup.

Nothing can be kept inside the bed. Inverter produces fumes, I would suggest not to keep it even in the room. Amps need to be connected to the sony system, so it will be a challenge to connect the wires if you put the amps inside the bed, plus the amps would be heavy and will need to be mounted rightly so that they do not make any rattling noise when the subs are playing. The amps would produce heat which is another reason why you cannot keep the amps in the bed. And if something goes wrong with any amp you will have to open everything and then get it repaired. You do not need the enclosures, suggest you sell them on OLX.

If you do not have a bed right now and getting a new one then get it custom made. First thing you need to think if of how much height your bed will be off and then make it as an enclosure accordingly. Subs will be placed on the base of the bed right below your back, that is where you feel the maximum vibrations. In the center 25% below the top. Bottom firing subs or maybe magnet can hang out of the bed. It will give more support to the woofers even though mounting them inverted properly wont give any problems even in the long run. They will get a huge room and it will not be infinite baffle. It gives more low frequency sound and better vibrations but bass is a bit lose but I think it will be perfect in your case as you already have the sony subs for higher range low frequencies. If you want to utilize the complete volume divide the bed from the center by a wooden wall. Then half of the beds volume will be used for 1 sub which will be enough. I think 4 subs are not required at all you can easily do even with 1 sub but you should put 1 in each bed and I am assuming it will be a double bed with 2 single bed units joined with had board and leg board. Keep it a sealed bed enclosure, ports will reduce the vibrations and it is more difficult to build. Do not worry about woofer specs and building a perfect enclosure at all.

What all you have asked is going to be very easy. The difficult part is sealing the bed. Not even a slightest amount of air can be allowed to leak. You will need some silicon and gasket tapes. You need to figure out how to get wires from inverter to the amps and from the amps to the bed. You can keep them open for the time being till you get your house repainted and get them underground(inside walls) That time.

Do search for tactile transducers over the net. Read all about the features and types and specially the testimonials. Meanwhile read the benefits over tactile transducers and traditional subs below

Advantages over Tactile Transducers:

They are not so efficient
They do not produce sound so there is a need of a subwoofer
Separate amplifier required
They need to be properly mounted
Vibrations are less

Advantages over Subwoofers

Subwoofers can be used only to listen to the sound being produced by them, they do not allow the users to feel the vibrations
Subwoofers are very heavy and bulky - They take up a lot of space in the room which is saved when you use furniture as enclosure
Larger subwoofers cannot be used in homes due to their large enclosures
Your seat is the best place for bass. You dont have to try placing the sub at different placed to get the best bass experience
You save money as building enclosure is also an expensive thing. A properly built and finished enclosure can cost a lot.

Your way forward on the track than I imagined! That's great & pleasantly shocking to see the thought that came to mind being implemented commercially! That's really great trick people will definitely love it & u Will bang the market if this thing is convinced properly. I previously thought u have just added subwoofers installed in enclosures & u kept those enclosures inside bed storage but ur way ahead of the track & used the bed storage directly as a enclosure! I don't wanna bottom out my subs so I would use only half of the partition. This Tactile transducer really amazed me! If something like this worked like subs to give vibrations will be really amazing! Anyways I need to study a lot about it. Because of risk of battery fuming I am thinking of getting some professional DJ amp for lifetime purpose. If ur using such huge sealed enclosure that won't be too much? I think Giving it port will make it a lot louder & deeper! As u have all the beds ready lemme know difference in performance of sealed bed vs ported bed. Down firing sounds cool but front firing will also look cool & give some thump in the room. Let's see now I have lots of homework to be done for this project. I will ask for your help in case I needed it. A very special thanks for guidance & very good luck for your creation.

As it happens. That's exactly what i use in my car. I have the rf62 12 inch with a 1cuft sealed box. Used it with my home amp. It was cleaner but none of that low bass decay that is cool in movies. Back then my pc was just for movies. For movies, ported. Considering cheap and diy budgets. But sure the infinity was cool for rock and pop music.
I don't find any point in throwing existing subs of HT M5 package they help well for movies. I can add more subs to fill extreme low end line. I listen to raps & R&B, dubstep type music only. So infinity reference is Sq sub won't suite my taste of music! Anyways I will give a try.

^ Teapoy Subs, Stool subs, chair subs, Sofa subs have all been designed and implemented in custom installation and that is not something new. These are also done commercially by professional installers. Even rocking chairs with drivers loaded in the chair are commercially available.

Putting subs in the bed will give you all that vibrations as you will be sitting on system which will be vibrating, resonating and doing all sorts of dance since there will no proper bracing.

Another challenge would be to control the box volume what the subs will be seeing if the existing under bed storage is used.

If you guys are seriously interested in low frequencies, try a Folded TH design and corner load it or build a TH under the bed.

PS. Tactile transducers can only Augument a subwoofer. It can never replace a sub as it produces physical effects. Just like the small vibration motor in mobile, just a lot bigger under the seat or couch.

Last edited:
^ Teapoy Subs, Stool subs, chair subs, Sofa subs have all been designed and implemented in custom installation and that is not something new. These are also done commercially by professional installers. Even rocking chairs with drivers loaded in the chair are commercially available.

Putting subs in the bed will give you all that vibrations as you will be sitting on system which will be vibrating, resonating and doing all sorts of dance since there will no proper bracing.

Another challenge would be to control the box volume what the subs will be seeing if the existing under bed storage is used.

If you guys are seriously interested in low frequencies, try a Folded TH design and corner load it or build a TH under the bed.

PS. Tactile transducers can only Augument a subwoofer. It can never replace a sub as it produces physical effects. Just like the small vibration motor in mobile, just a lot bigger under the seat or couch.

Tactile transducer is a very very very differnt thing from mobile vibrators. It is a speaker without a cone. Please read about them first. They are not even close to mobile vibration system. Mobile vibration is like vibration in ps2 and ps3 remote controls. This is totally different and not related to sound or low frequencies at all.

Can you please help by sharing some links? I really wanna know where are sub divers loaded in hairs commercialy available in India

Can you please help by sharing some links? I really wanna know where are sub divers loaded in hairs commercialy available in India

A bed sub
http://web.archive.org/web/20030122002702/home.hccnet.nl/r.v.ede/stereo/old/index.html

A teapoy sub, the tabletuba.

Table Tuba

A Sofa Sub.

Welcome to Psycho-Acoustics.com - Artistic Audio Design and Custom Home Theater Furniture - Contact Us

Rocking chairs

http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n:668180011,p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:4890702011

So your concept is not something new. I have myself seen custom installations with subs going in to places you would never imagine

Thanks gpfreak
I agree to you it is not new but i gues it is a new concept in india and nothing is available to bought here exept the chairs but again they dont have actual subs in them. It is a long way for india

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back