Do you always keep the subwoofer on???

ketansethi1987

This question is for people having 5.1/7.1 AVR setup including Active Subwoofer

Do you always keep it on even when you are watching TV or turn it on sometime when you watch a specific movie or listen to music or play on your gaming consoles.

Reason might be to save power as bass is not always needed like when you are watching news channels or a drama movie etc

This question is for people having 5.1/7.1 AVR setup including Active Subwoofer

Do you always keep it on even when you are watching TV or turn it on sometime when you watch a specific movie or listen to music or play on your gaming consoles.

Reason might be to save power as bass is not always needed like when you are watching news channels or a drama movie etc

I switch on my receiver/subwoofer only when I watch a movie on my HTPC or blu-ray disc playback not even with DVD discs (as only rhymes or cartoon DVDs are played by my daughter :eek:hyeah: ), otherwise its always switched off and in fact I remove the plug itself as I use the same socket for other purposes as well. Even though my Jamo sub has a auto turn on-off feature based on the LF signal still I prefer to switch it off. I have enabled the pass-thru feature on my receiver and hence its always on standby.

Last edited:
i always kept on my sunfire sub. stand by function kicks when senses the signal.

I use Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 and so the subwoofer comes on (auto mode) when a signal is sent by the NR 1402 Marantz AVR. If I was using Front Floor Standers or Towers, I would have perhaps switched it off...but a subwoofer adds punch and depth to the overall speaker setup..why would anyone want to turn it off

I never switched my sub off since plugged in :) It has been "full on" for about 3 years now and it's perfectly fine.
It is absolutly OK to leave it on. Things break when you turn them on and off. Inrush current / heat expansion, etc. The only thing I can see that happens with having a sub on all the time does is, it will eat a tiny bit of electricity.

^ i read that inrush , heat expansion doesn't apply to modern av receivers..... not sure about speakers or subwoofers... anyways i switch off all my stuff every night... a small way to reduce my carbon footprint...

p.s: my uncle's hifi gear is switched off when not in use for 10+ years and it still works fine..

Power cycling and the resultant thermal cycling and power surges are not good for many electrical products. As to which is worse, leaving it on all time or switching on and off frequently will depend on the frequency, the type of product and its quality. There's no easy answer.

My old Elac sub which is switched off most of the time, died on me after just a few years!! My PC at work runs and runs and is hardly ever off. My PC at home, which is off most of the time, blew its power supply when turning it on. My laptop surge protector also blew up when plugging it in one day. I am not saying leaving things on all the time is good but equally I am not saying turning them completely off is good either.

If repeated power cycling can shorten a products the life time then which is greener; keeping old products running or replacing them with new every few years?

Anyways Can't have the penguins crying can we ;)

Cheers

I use Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 and so the subwoofer comes on (auto mode) when a signal is sent by the NR 1402 Marantz AVR. If I was using Front Floor Standers or Towers, I would have perhaps switched it off...but a subwoofer adds punch and depth to the overall speaker setup..why would anyone want to turn it off

How about saving the earth by saving some power!

Jokes apart, why to keep it on when one is watching normal TV serials or news channel, no punch needed in them

IMO we should switch off all the equipments when not in use, specially at nights. I don't keep anything on standby except the refrigerator.

Power cycling and the resultant thermal cycling and power surges are not good for many electrical products. As to which is worse, leaving it on all time or switching on and off frequently will depend on the frequency, the type of product and its quality. There's no easy answer.

My old Elac sub which is switched off most of the time, died on me after just a few years!! My PC at work runs and runs and is hardly ever off. My PC at home, which is off most of the time, blew its power supply when turning it on. My laptop surge protector also blew up when plugging it in one day. I am not saying leaving things on all the time is good but equally I am not saying turning them completely off is good either.

If repeated power cycling can shorten a products the life time then which is greener; keeping old products running or replacing them with new every few years?

Anyways Can't have the penguins crying can we ;)

Cheers

leaving things on might extend their life,
leaving things off might reduce their life.

But leaving things off when they are not used will save power however small that might be. ;) More about the people than the penguins :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back