Do you still buy CDs?

The article wasn't really targeted at people like us, who discuss music all the time, but the title itself was interesting enough. Good enough to start a discussion.

Thanks,
Sharad

The article wasn't really targeted at people like us, who discuss music all the time, but the title itself was interesting enough. Good enough to start a discussion.

Thanks,
Sharad

Yes, with more and more companies (From CA to Linn) started offering Music Servers and High Resolution (LINN, CHESKY, VERVE) picking up, I think CD as a media for music distribution will die, say in coming 5 years.

Most music shops selling Audio CDs will stop doing it. Internet will be the only channel through which one can browse, audition and buy Music. It will be a lot cheaper and convenient that way. It is always observed that in a CD album only 2-3 tracks are worth listening to and rest is just some filler material. With Hi Res downloads I can download only those 2-3 tracks and save a bunch.

Of course I am talking about all LEGAL and PAID downloads!

Last edited:
I wonder what something New , worth reading you found in that articlel? Do we need CNET to tell us CD sounds better that iTunes MP3?

Nope Suhas, not about quality. Just if people still purchase CDs in this day and age and yes I still purchase CDs, but rip them and play them via the PC. I would of course prefer to d/l lossless formats like FLAC if the record companies made them available instead of just mp3 rips.

My opinion is cds may get converted to dvd with more music storeage but the physical format will not die in the near future reasons are people in this forum are discussing hi end audio but there are plenty out there who just have simple dvd player(local make for 1000rs) and basic stereo or 5.1 (local make 3000rs) as they are cheap and affordable in the rural areas and this market is huge. this can be found by the way regional film music or movies is sold(moserbare works on this idea). for these people this will be there first buy of stereo or home theatre and they are pretty happy with the sound (sometimes ignorance is bliss). on one side LCD/Plasma is penetrating into urban households but in rural normal crt tvs are now in the affordable range and so the focus of the companies are rural market for these items. to conclude its the hardware pricing which determines the software (media carrying music/movies)

During my last trip to US I could not buy any CDs in the stores. I had to order online sitting in the US, and then carry them back! All I saved was the shipping charges.
Tower Records and Good Guys used to have a good Jazz collection earlier, but after they closed down there is not mush of a choice. Multi purpose stores, such as Target just have the last few pop albums on sale.

Thanks,
Sharad

My opinion is cds may get converted to dvd with more music storeage but the physical format will not die in the near future reasons are people in this forum are discussing hi end audio but there are plenty out there who just have simple dvd player(local make for 1000rs) and basic stereo or 5.1 (local make 3000rs) as they are cheap and affordable in the rural areas and this market is huge. this can be found by the way regional film music or movies is sold(moserbare works on this idea). for these people this will be there first buy of stereo or home theatre and they are pretty happy with the sound (sometimes ignorance is bliss). on one side LCD/Plasma is penetrating into urban households but in rural normal crt tvs are now in the affordable range and so the focus of the companies are rural market for these items. to conclude its the hardware pricing which determines the software (media carrying music/movies)

Maaaaan! Reading through your post made me go completely 'Breathless'

Cheers

During my last trip to US I could not buy any CDs in the stores. I had to order online sitting in the US, and then carry them back! All I saved was the shipping charges.
Tower Records and Good Guys used to have a good Jazz collection earlier, but after they closed down there is not mush of a choice. Multi purpose stores, such as Target just have the last few pop albums on sale.

Thanks,
Sharad

Target has never been the haunt of good CD purchases. You may want to take a look at used CD stores. Also online stores such as secondspun.com have good collections.

I still prefer to buy CDs and will probably for some time to come. Audio nuances apart, it's an emotional thing. To draw an analogy, my wife refuses to buy pirated/copied books. There's something fulfilling about going to a store, browsing through CDs/books/games/videos and buying them physically.
Maybe I am old fashioned, but I still prefer it this way. Time will only tell, for how long.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back