Do you use the best source material?

I actually have multiple systems.

If I find the DVD very bad after a few minutes, I just remove it, break it, and throw it away.

See the courage :clapping:,I cant do with purchased DVDs by me.I can give away that to other.;)

I feel just because you are 'audiophile' you should use FLAC/WAV original CDs and delete all mp3s , is a biased
believe...

Many genres of music like
rock /pop/metal /trance ..many albums dont make
any difference if mp3 or FLAC.

If one does not like these and always listens to country/blues/classical etc then it is a different story.
I do use mp3s ,preferably well ripped.

I have a few systems.

On my HT, I use an Oppo 980 as the source and play SACD or DVDAs if I wanted to listen to multichannel music. Music DVDs whenever I host parties.

On my music only system, all of my listening is via CDs. Though I love analogue, I have not made the jump to building a full fledged system. No plans in the future as well. CDs are just too convenient for me.

I play flac on my Sansa and also connect to the car MP3 via analogue cable. CD rips of various genres.

On my desktop music system I play flacs and DRM'ed wma's when I used to have a napster subscription.

hi sushanthace,

As far as i know, DVD-A plays only in 5.1 format, and if you want to play in stereo mode, you connect only those two speakers.

in effect, the music is encoded in 5.1 on a dvd-a, and if you are using only two channels, parts of the music will be missing.

regards

Dolby has a feature called downmixing which takes all the channels on DVD (5.1,7.1 etc) and converts it into two channel stereo. Using this the information in other channels is not lost and is reproduced by front left and right speakers.

Many genres of music like
rock /pop/metal /trance ..many albums dont make
any difference if mp3 or FLAC.

Trance maybe yes, rock and metal - definitely not so. You are most welcome to my place to experience the same. There's a massive difference between the same song on vinyl and mp3 even for a heavy metal band.

Hi,

CD s on my stereo system obviously. mp3 on the ipod. After a thing called jailbreak the ipod can play flac it seems.Any one tried it? does it sound better than mp3 on the ipod?

After getting the Oppo, cd music thro my Onkyo AVR sounds very decent.Infact my son says dance genre sounds better on Oppo+onkyo.

In my car my old Sony CD player plays only Redbook CDs and won't play mp3.

cheers,
sri

Trance maybe yes, rock and metal - definitely not so. You are most welcome to my place to experience the same. There's a massive difference between the same song on vinyl and mp3 even for a heavy metal band.

Hmm..setup and spending are the factors to consider, you must be having dedicated setup suitable for rock ,i dont have .I would love to experience ..

However i was telling if properly converted 320kbps mp3,for many albums in these genres, the difference is minimal.

Hi,

As i am relatively new to HIFI, i still have lots of my old Tamil movie songs collection in mp3/ipod format only. But, i use them through my 2.1 setup wherein, because of the components, it still sounds acceptable to me. Offlate, i have been buying the new songs in Audio CDs.

For english/western type of music which i am slowly getting into - i have been buying some quality used vinyls as source to play on my Stanton TT through my 2.1 setup which sounds great.

I am embarking on the long process of reorganising the source material to get to the best format affordable to me to play through my 2.1 setup

rgds swami

ipod/CA340cd player/Stanton t.60 TT/NAD c355bee amp/Mission m32i/Mordaunt Short 309i sub/Rotel 940x tuner

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back