Does anyone know of any Android Based GPS navigator?

chander

Hi all,

I have been riding motorcycles for almost 2 decades - I started pretty early :p. I have come from using paper maps and then invested in various Garmin devices, but eventually settled for old android phones as my navigator. Just remove all removable apps, download offline maps, put it on airplane mode, mount it on and go. This has been working pretty well for me - with a couple of issues -

1 - The phone doesn't have the best GPS, as they use Assisted GPS and need the cellular network or wifi to triangulate you accurately, hence they are not the most accurate, also they tend to lose the GPS connectivity pretty regularly (I have used this on Pixel, nexus, iphones, samsung galaxy, CAT tough phones) - sometimes leading you way off your intended route. They will send you in circles for nothing :)
2 - The phone heats up pretty bad while navigating and they then tend to just power off - sometimes taking around 30 minutes to get back on.
3 - They do not track very well, so if you want to go into some deep trails or something similar, Best of Luck finding your way back.

Now dedicated GPS devices are great for this, Garmin being the top of the line - but anyone who has ever used Garmin they know how incredibly frustrating it is to use one, from route planning to route uploading, to just the UI, everything is pure pain.

My apologies for the long irrelevant description, but the question is -

1 - Does anyone know of an android based Navigator/GPS devices something like Carpe Iter - do keep the above issues in mind?
2 - Why not Carpe Iter - cause it is around Euro 800 for just the device + another few for the mounting hardware etc - taking it into the Eur 1K category :)

Thanks!

GPSLogger II

I have been using this since blackberry days for trail hunting and into the places where phone network is not there. This is one of the best and you should know how to get value out of this.

And yes its free.

Thanks, I am looking for a device rather than an App - something like a Carpe Iter just way way way cheaper :p I doubt one exists, was just hopeful!

Just an idea, haven't looked at this online yet.
Is it possible to connect an external GPS module to an android phone? In that case, one issue about built in GPS accuracy is solved. That might reduce the heating issue too. You will need to root the phone and some additional solution to enable external GPS device.

Just an idea, haven't looked at this online yet.
Is it possible to connect an external GPS module to an android phone? In that case, one issue about built in GPS accuracy is solved. That might reduce the heating issue too. You will need to root the phone and some additional solution to enable external GPS device.
Great! Let me see what is possible!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back