Does it make sense to buy Sony STR-DN840-K from amazon US?

shyam_mv

Hey Comrades!!

I have been lurking around for value for money deals on AV t receivers and I've stumbled upon Sony STR-DN840-K which sounds to good to be true!

The cost of this on amazon.com is 450 dollars and it's a 7.2 channel receiver with WIFI, Bluetooth connecting 9 devices, 6 HDMI ports, 4k upscaling and 3D pass through... Now all GEBs on eBay and Cart to India quote 50k. Import duties to India including tax and other sundry taxes comes to 20% of the invoice value. Wanted to ask you for your suggestions to the following questions:

1) is it a good idea to buy from US sites and how much would be the shipping? Although amazon claims it's free shipping

2) how has your experience been with importing receivers

3) alternatively, are there any joints in Chennai I could get this product

4) best/ most affordable speakers set with this receiver or with Pioneer VSX-822-K.. please help a brother out and hook a brother up..

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I would suggest not to get any AVR from US because of the voltage difference and also loosing the warranty in India. But if it is a universal voltage (that the AVR can be used in India without any transformer/converter) then you need to look at least the savings to be close to 30 to 40% in the price difference, otherwise its not a VFM deal.

Hi,

Please check the input voltage (110V or 230V) since you are getting from US (Only 110V). Also you need step-down transformer to connect.

Lots many models of AVRs are available in India itself. IMHO please avoid buying from US.
My preferred brands: Marantz, Pioneer, Denon

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back