Does it make sense to import amp from US?

hfvuser

Hi,

A friend of mine is coming from US. I was wondering how much cheaper would i get amplifiers in US (including custom charges, if any). Particularly the following:
NAD C316
Marantz 5003
Marantz 6003

Does it make sense to buy it from there?
How will the warranty be honoured?

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Advantages of buying from US (and carrying it personally)

1) Less price
2) Availability of more models

Disadvantages of buying from US

1) Additional cost for step-down converter
2) Most probably no warranty (unless the product carries international warranty)
3) Risk in carrying
4) Possible customs charges

Step-1: Have the Indian market price handy for all the models mentioned by you.

Step-2: Once your friend reach the shop let him find out the total cost at US and inform the same to you.

Step-3: Add the approximate customs charges (if you are lucky you may escape from this)

Step-4: Add the cost for a descent step down transformer.

Step-5: Find the difference between the Indian Price from Step-1 and the total cost arrived at Step-4. If the difference is worth the risk of carrying and forgoing Warranty, give a green signal to your friend.

I bought my HD projector, from US and a good friend carried it for me. In case of projector there is no need for step down transformer and the model which I chose was much advanced and not available in India at that point of time. I was lucky in customs duty and charges too.

Hope this helps.

As long as you save Rs.5 to 7k or more on final price(Us price+shipping+custom+stepdown converter & not worried of warrenty)its good.

many amps including the nads come with an inbuilt switch to change over from 110 to 220v. check it out before you buy. that will be ideal. warranty will be an issue - i guess a risk that you will hv to take for a lower price.

Disadvantages of buying from US

1) Additional cost for step-down converter
Step-4: Add the cost for a descent step down transformer.

You can find brands like Parasound who makes Amp with Universal power input
e.g. 110-120 to 220-230 which works perfect in India

I'm planning to buy Parasound A23 from US :)

~VijayK

2) Most probably no warranty (unless the product carries international warranty)

Even if the product carries an International warranty, you have to check with the Indian importer/distributor whether the warranty will be honoured in India. In many cases (Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz) it is not.

Cheers.

Back