Does the choice of speaker and amp change for different source of input ?

Rahul

Hey guys,

Thought I would start this thread as a platform for discussion and at the same help seek some answers for myself and other like me.

I am completely new to the world of Hi-fi and realized there is a lot that goes in buying the right system for oneself. My usage would be 80% music (English music - like of Bryan Adams, Gypsy Kings, Eagles etc; Hindi Music new and old; and downloaded MP3s from net not of high quality) and 20% movies.

I plan to set up my system (either 2.0 or 2.1) using a source, integrated amp, and BS speakers for total budget of around 50k (please feel free to advise if I got my setup wrong). With the technology changing so fast, I want to have the option of using both PC and Player as a source.

So the question now arises - (i) whether the choice of Amp and Speakers (BS) changes if my source changes or it doesnt really matter which source I use (PC or Player),
(ii) Is it practical/logical to have option of using both PC and Player as source.

Let me know what you guys think. Please do keep in mind that this setup is for a novice and the usage type.

P.S. Someone had suggested to me the CA DVD99 with a USB port, SACD, DVD-A capability would be good option for multiple usage.

So the question now arises - (i) whether the choice of Amp and Speakers (BS) changes if my source changes or it doesnt really matter which source I use (PC or Player),

(ii) Is it practical/logical to have option of using both PC and Player as source.

That is an interesting theory. So when I play a tape I use one set of amp and speakers. When I switch to a CD player, I swap the amp and speakers for another set. So if I have something like six sources, I have six amp and speakers? Sound like changing clothes. :):)

Rahul, before you start raising you eyebrows and going red in the face, I was just kidding.

If you look at the back of an amp, it will have sockets for multiple sources such as tape, CD, DVD, Aux(iliary). What this mean is that you can connect multiple sources to the same amp and use it for your music. The speakers have absolutely nothing to do with your source. They are connected to the amp and are affected by the amp only for their sound signature.

An amp also has a switch that allows you to use one particular source at a time. So you can connected a tape, a CD Player, a PC, and a DVD Player to the amp. When you want to watch a movie, you insert a DVD into the DVD Player, choose DVD as source in your amp, and you are ready to go. Similarly if you want to listen to an MP3 from your PC, you choose the PC as a source, and enjoy your music.

Just remember, what we spoke about is all analogue connections. A CD Player, for example, will take the digital sound from the CD, convert it to analogue, and feed it to the amp as analogue signals.

There are other connections called digital where the digital-to-analogue conversion can be done by the amp. NOT all amplifiers have this option. So choose you amp carefully.

Cheers

...[/B] - (i) whether the choice of Amp and Speakers (BS) changes if my source changes or it doesnt really matter which source I use (PC or Player),

Let me know what you guys think. Please do keep in mind that this setup is for a novice and the usage type.

P.S. Someone had suggested to me the CA DVD99 with a USB port, SACD, DVD-A capability would be good option for multiple usage.

(i) It's the other way round actually. Decide on a speaker that sounds good to your ears and then select an amp that pairs well with the speakers. I am not contending that your source will have no bearing on the final sound, but I believe it would not be as much as the speaker/amp combo.

(ii) If you already have a computer, the best option for you (considering your budget) would be to upgrade the sound card and hook it up to your amp. You could use the money saved on the speaker and the amp. Ofcourse, if you have a lot of SACDs, a universal player like the DV99 or the Oppo 980 would make much more sense as a source. Just my .02...

An amp also has a switch that allows you to use one particular source at a time. So you can connected a tape, a CD Player, a PC, and a DVD Player to the amp.

Just remember, what we spoke about is all analogue connections.

There are other connections called digital where the digital-to-analogue conversion can be done by the amp. NOT all amplifiers have this option. So choose you amp carefully.

Cheers

Now that's what i call some good education. So carrying this forward, can u suggest a good amp that can handle CD, DVD, PC and MP3's well. Would the suggested amp also have the option of digital-to-analogue conversion (perhaps sounding a lil greedy here but if i can get the additional choice y not take it .... hehehe) and for what usage is such a conversion required ?

Do keep the system budget in mind. Thanks again ...

Last edited:
(i) It's the other way round actually. Decide on a speaker that sounds good to your ears and then select an amp that pairs well with the speakers. I am not contending that your source will have no bearing on the final sound, but I believe it would not be as much as the speaker/amp combo.

(ii) If you already have a computer, the best option for you (considering your budget) would be to upgrade the sound card and hook it up to your amp. You could use the money saved on the speaker and the amp. Ofcourse, if you have a lot of SACDs, a universal player like the DV99 or the Oppo 980 would make much more sense as a source. Just my .02...

With such good advise, I am already beginning to feel like a pro .. hehehe ....

To move this forward, would like to ask u the same question as i did to venkat in my earlier post.... let me know your views ....

There should be synergy between the amp and speakers. So if you have a forward sounding amp, it will go well with laidback speakers. In other words, the negatives get neutralised.

I suggest auditioning the speakers and amp as a pair, and trying out as many combinations as you can. Try to buy both these from the same dealer.

If that is not possible, then decide on the speakers first. Then try and check out various amps in your budget pairing with them. And finally decide on the source.

DACs are a part of CD players. In fact CD Player = CD transport+DAC.

So, don't try to look for a DAC in an amp. Digital amplifiers are a different breed altogether. Perhaps a failed one. It is expensive too. If you look at very high end hi-fi systems, amplification still happens in the analogue domain.

So, buy a DAC. Connect all your digital sources to it, and connect it to the amp. Connect all your analogue sources directly to your amp.

Get a DAC like Beresford 7520, amp like CA340A or PM4001, and a pair of speakers like MA BR2 or Usher S520. Should fit in your budget.

If flexible, try the Peachtree Nova or Pioneer A-A9MK2-K. All are available in Bangalore.

Happy auditions.

PS: Do a through search in this forum itself. A little homework never hurts!

Hey guys,

Thought I would start this thread as a platform for discussion and at the same help seek some answers for myself and other like me.

I am completely new to the world of Hi-fi and realized there is a lot that goes in buying the right system for oneself. My usage would be 80% music (English music - like of Bryan Adams, Gypsy Kings, Eagles etc; Hindi Music new and old; and downloaded MP3s from net not of high quality) and 20% movies.

I plan to set up my system (either 2.0 or 2.1) using a source, integrated amp, and BS speakers for total budget of around 50k (please feel free to advise if I got my setup wrong). With the technology changing so fast, I want to have the option of using both PC and Player as a source.

My $100 Rahul

Since you already have a PC just put a new sound card like the Asus Xonar in it and use it as a source. And when later on when you have more money in hand if need be you can go for a separate source.

Thk tht wud cost arnd 8k

With the other 42k you go for the best Amplifier and Speaker possible in that range.

I hve seen in this forum tht Marantz PM7001 was selling for 21k in Mumbai. If thts true then its a very gud amp for the price.

for the other 21k your options wud be

Monitor Audio BR2
Usher S420
Dali Lektor 1
Wharfedale 10.1
Epos ELS8

Regarding speakers around the 20k budget there is one other thread going where Psychotropic has been auditioning various options and have put his views in there follow that thread.

Now that's what i call some good education. So carrying this forward, can u suggest a good amp that can handle CD, DVD, PC and MP3's well. Would the suggested amp also have the option of digital-to-analogue conversion (perhaps sounding a lil greedy here but if i can get the additional choice y not take it .... hehehe) and for what usage is such a conversion required ?

Do keep the system budget in mind. Thanks again ...

I'd suggest you look at your system as 2 different pieces:

1. Your amp+speaker combo:

It is my opinion that you need to make a decision based on your ears so try and audition as many combinations within your budget as possible. Irrespective of the source, the amp+speaker pairing would ultimately make or break your system.

2. Your music source:

This would ultimately boil down to the type of media you use. If all you listen to are CDs, MP3s and DVD-As, AND if you have a computer to spare, then my suggestion would be to install a nice sound card (Asus Xonar, M-Audio, Juli@, E-Mu...) to do the DAC duties and use it as an all-purpose music box. From user reviews, a good sound card can sound at least as good as some stand-alone DACs. If you choose to go this route, then you could probably spend less than 10K for the sound card and allocate the rest 40K for your amp+speaker combination.

If you do not want to use a computer as you're primary music source and/or have a lot of your music on media like SACDs or if you'd rather go for the simplicity of using a disc player, then I'd suggest something along the lines of an Oppo 980 or a Cambridge DVD99.

Going for a DAC+Amp combo like the Peachtree Nova could be a good solution but you would have to raise your budget significantly...

P.S: Rem posted the above while I was still searching for alphabets on my keyboard...:D

Last edited:
If your question is whether sound quality changes with different sources even for the same amp/speaker combination then the answer is a resounding Yes.

That does not mean that you need to have more than one source though. It only means that you probably need to do the due diligence in selecting your source equipment. A PC with a sound card gives a whole lot of CD players a run for their money. It is also quite economical compared to the CD player options.

I would hold off on a player wiht SACD and DVD-A since you are starting out now and with limited budget. Get a Phillips or Pioneer DVD player with a USB input so you can play the downloaded mp3s either off a disk or USB

Rahul if you listen to other than Redbook Cd format then in the long run DAC would be beneficial. So consider that before investing in dedicated cdp.

Rahul if you listen to other than Redbook Cd format then in the long run DAC would be beneficial. So consider that before investing in dedicated cdp.

I still feel a reasonably priced CDP will be beneficial..and in a good system a good Transport i also essential. I Heard your experience of DAC+ Avarage DVD ( and mp3 on it) is not satisfying - is it true?

I still feel a reasonably priced CDP will be beneficial..and in a good system a good Transport i also essential. I Heard your experience of DAC+ Avarage DVD ( and mp3 on it) is not satisfying - is it true?

I have not tried mp3 format.

There is sense of air in the voices and instruments.

But the real benefit of Beresford is that it can be tweaked as per one's taste.

--
Bryston + B&W

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back