Don't know where to start with this vintage Philips TT, Please advise.

accord

Hi friends,

I have received a very old Phillips TT as a gift from my big B and now really dont know how, what to do with this vintage TT so that i can enjoy this.

My first impression = in working condition, cosmetics are not very good being unused since last 25-30 yrs, power push switch is in working and the round platter is rotating with some zig zig noise, again out of any idea what to do :p. Also noticed that it has amp inbuilt with 50W output that i have connected (with some zugaad science) LR output to norge amp (paired with dali FS) with hope to not burn any thing.

On the first hand i purchased a vinyl, place on that round platter (i dont know the real name of this part), switched on the TT and it starts rotating, placed the arm on record, music is coming out from my right speaker but not from left one :clapping:. SQ is not as per my expectations or i may be expecting much.:p.

Please advise from where can i service this, how can i (can i) use my norge amp by bypassing the TT amp and how to improve the SQ.

Your guidance is requested to be able to grow me a bit older is this crazy world of music :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Attachments

• File_000.jpg
    File_000.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
It was released as series of "Philips Hi Q International" which came with speakers (you will find some threads about that). Drivers used in those speakers are good/8" full range.
Here is the video for the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1EC_BC2S4

It's not that bad to start the vinyl journey. As you are located in Delhi, let me know if you need the technician who does all kind of Philips TTs service.

Hi dear, please give the contact details of the person for servicing my philips TT.

Congrats on getting a HiQ International. I am also an owner. Trust me, if motor issues are not there then with GP215 this is a kick-ass package along with those wonderful Holland Philips full rangers.

I believe this one to be from the later edition which had TBA 810AS as the IC.
The first ones had can packaged germanium transistor based (my unit). Biasing would be a problem for germanium transistor units, as very few technicians have the know-how and inclination to do this type of job.

PM me if you require any parts/spares. Thank you.

Congrats on getting a HiQ International. I am also an owner. Trust me, if motor issues are not there then with GP215 this is a kick-ass package along with those wonderful Holland Philips full rangers.

I believe this one to be from the later edition which had TBA 810AS as the IC.
The first ones had can packaged germanium transistor based (my unit). Biasing would be a problem for germanium transistor units, as very few technicians have the know-how and inclination to do this type of job.

PM me if you require any parts/spares. Thank you.

Hi dear.

Thanks for your comments, in fact i have packed that TT & placed it in to my store room with no hope but your comments again sparked the interest in me.

Motor is working well, dont know it is transistor based or not, will click & send a pic to you. The problem is one black rubber pulley is broken which rotates the platter, metal platter create zig zig sound, i think it have some alignment issue, SQ of its amp is also not good enough or may be i am expecting much. Please suggest from where should i start to enjoy this vintage TT.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back