Do's and Dont's of Home Theater Systems

Ispahir

Hello

I am not sure if such a thread exists as I couldn't find one. I am new to Home Theater and AVR world and a noob when it comes to the technicalities. I thought it would be a great idea if the members can share their advise and expertise on Dos and Don'ts of a Home Theater System. I've come to learn that new AVRs don't have much of a life compared to the old models. So what what pointers you'll give to make sure the AVR delivers a seamless performance and has a longer life.

Basics - I will list 10 points to start with
  1. Ensure clean power supply with proper earthing. - identify the terminal marked L on the plug and make sure it goes into the corresponding side in the plug point (the side where the tester glows!)
  2. Keep it well ventilated while in use but make sure dust does not get in - easier said than done!
  3. Allow the AVR to cool down before closing if it is behind a glass door or similar
  4. Set the AVR default volume to a low value (It is called power on volume in denon)
  5. Whenever there is a weather disturbance - lightning, thunder or even signs of it
    • Remove the ethernet cable
    • Remove DTH hdmi cable (from the set top box end)
    • External antenna if any
  6. Remove usb devices when not in use - if you are worried about frequent plug/unplugs damaging the usb port of the AVR use an extender cable
  7. Cap your AVR volume to say 70% of total power especially if you have children
  8. Do not let the AVR auto-update its software. If an update alert comes on delay the update for a month or so to make sure there are no inherent bugs in the update and make sure that the update really has a significant benefit! If your AVR is working to your satisfaction, there is generally no need to go for an update. Updates are one of the most reasons an AVR gets bricked
  9. If the update is unavoidable - make sure of uninterrupted power, cancel all downloads to keep bandwidth free for the AVR. There was provision until recently for USB based updates, but it seems they are slowly stopping them in some brands/models.
  10. Periodically check the speaker wires and make sure connections are tight (never over-tighten the terminals) and no stray strands touching the adjacent wire. If your AVR goes into protection mode - this is one of the first thing to check.

Here are some of my pointers to your thread starter post.

Do's
Ask yourself the right questions (the NMO approach, needs, means and opportunities):
1. Do I need the latest or all features that are in some AVRs, sources, speakers, etc?
2. Do I have the means (mainly monies) to get these features?
3. Do I have the opportunity to implement such a system in my living space or dedicated room?

- consider a staged approach if funds are tight to start with
- know your room, it is your greatest enemy, even with sophisticated room correction capability in AVR
- choose the right number of speakers (5.1, 7.1, 5.1.2, etc)
- choose the right kind of speakers; the kind that will be favorable to positioning and placement
- choose easy to drive speakers (nominal 8 ohm are an example)
- use speaker stands or mounts (as far as possible) and use sturdy rack for electronics
- provide adequate AC power (if possible some backup power) and good ventilation for electronics when in operation
- use dust covers when not in use (make it housemaid proof wherever possible)
- match the AVR power capabilities with those that of speakers
- understand AVR's networking capabilities specially if you are into content streaming
- study how to integrate with existing components (if any, like TV, DVD/BD etc)
- make it easy for other family members to use the system
- use good quality cabling; firm connections are mandatory; budget up to 10% for this
- audition, audition, audition and then audition again
- when new equipment comes home read the manual and follow the instructions
- have realistic expectations of how things come together at home
- enjoy the show and stop worrying about every single technical detail; it can be maddening

Dont's
- don't make impulse buys; hard to integrate and harder to sell without monetary losses
- don't get buyers remorse either; your friend's or neighbor's system may be better; so be it
- don't buy large speakers because the look and sound sexy in a demo room; dream speakers can be a nightmare in your home
- don't drive the system to it's limit or nearby; they will falter or blow
- don't host in precarious locations; risk of equipment falling or bumping into are very real
- don't expect AVRs to be future proof; the curve is about 5 years
- don't complicate connections; a simple system is a pleasure to use
- don't make any connection changes when the system is on; follow basic principles of mains power off

This is as general as it can get. For specifics please research the forum.
There is a wealth of info hidden here.

Cheers,
Raghu

Any specific suggestions for Marantz NR1509?

Most points already covered by Fellow Members (FMs)....

Hard truth is that almost all AVRs or Amps or even electronic components are made in China and hence have a certain shelf life to last.....The older models of early 80s and 90s were Made in Japan and some of them last for more than 15 to 20 years if used as directed / recommended by Owners Manual....

Besides the basic actions and steps to be followed for optimal use and performance......no brand or model will give you or mention the extra points covered by our FMs.....the points mentioned are mostly experienced by most of us as we use various brands and models over the years......

End of the day ...keeping all the above points in mind, you need to conservatively use and effectively get a system within your budget to fulfill your requirements.....nice idea to start this thread......hope the new members and even existing ones go through this thread.......it will help.....

All the best! I am a Marantz user for the last 6 to 7 years now and is quite happy with the performance and built quality......i have changed models every 2/3 years......

I am looking for some decent home theater and kind of mind is hovering over either Yamaha or Denon, could someone bail me out.

Basics - I will list 10 points to start with
  1. Ensure clean power supply with proper earthing. - identify the terminal marked L on the plug and make sure it goes into the corresponding side in the plug point (the side where the tester glows!)
  2. Keep it well ventilated while in use but make sure dust does not get in - easier said than done!
  3. Allow the AVR to cool down before closing if it is behind a glass door or similar
  4. Set the AVR default volume to a low value (It is called power on volume in denon)
  5. Whenever there is a weather disturbance - lightning, thunder or even signs of it
    • Remove the ethernet cable
    • Remove DTH hdmi cable (from the set top box end)
    • External antenna if any
  6. Remove usb devices when not in use - if you are worried about frequent plug/unplugs damaging the usb port of the AVR use an extender cable
  7. Cap your AVR volume to say 70% of total power especially if you have children
  8. Do not let the AVR auto-update its software. If an update alert comes on delay the update for a month or so to make sure there are no inherent bugs in the update and make sure that the update really has a significant benefit! If your AVR is working to your satisfaction, there is generally no need to go for an update. Updates are one of the most reasons an AVR gets bricked
  9. If the update is unavoidable - make sure of uninterrupted power, cancel all downloads to keep bandwidth free for the AVR. There was provision until recently for USB based updates, but it seems they are slowly stopping them in some brands/models.
  10. Periodically check the speaker wires and make sure connections are tight (never over-tighten the terminals) and no stray strands touching the adjacent wire. If your AVR goes into protection mode - this is one of the first thing to check.
wow these are very useful 1s

I am looking for some decent home theater and kind of mind is hovering over either Yamaha or Denon, could someone bail me out.
If you post your requirement in the "What should I buy forum" or create a new thread in Home Theatre forum as you are specifically looking for an AVR. This will get more answers. Please specify your room size, is it dedicated HT room or living room, lay out sketch, usage % for movies and music, your budget and any other specific requirements. Indicate whether you are ready to go the pre-owned (used) route.

That said as a Denon owner, I favor Denon! Totally subjective choice though.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back