DTS signals Laptop to Home theatre

jayantadak

Hi,

Need to know how to get DTS sound from Laptop to 5.1 speakers via AVR. I do have BR rip movies of 1080p with DTS audio, but let me tell you that my AVR is an older version without the HDMI slot. But it does has Optical in. It does have the RC ports too,but I believe they are of no use for digital signals. My TV has 4 HDMI ports.

So what is the best possible connections between the Laptop>AVR>TV>Speakers. Please let me know. I do have VLC and KM Player in my Laptop.

- - JAYANT.

The player must be able to decode and output Dts signals. The Avr must also be able to do so.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

If your laptop has coaxial or optical out then you can enjoy dts and dolby digital. Otherwise there is no other option but to upgrade the AVR or assemble an HTPC. There are also some external sound cards that can bitstream dts and dolby.

@baijuxavior,

I am thinking of upgrading my AVR to Denon 1312 or 1612, then might it be possible to playing DTS enabled movies through the existing set-up.

I can visualize the connections between the Laptop and the AVR through the HDMI cable (which consists of the audio and video signals). Okay. the digital audio part is taken care of, then how to further send the video signals to the TV. Please guide.

Thanks for the prompt reply baiju.

Regards,

- - JAYANT

Avrs have multiple hdmi inputs which can pass through the video signal over to the tv with a hdmi output port.

If your laptop has a spdif output port integrated into the headphone out you can use a cable to transfer digital signals to you old avr. I have done the same.

Is there any Optical Audio out port on your TV?
Is there any HDMI port on the laptop?

If the answer is yes for both questions, check whether TV can redirect audio received through HDMI to Optical Out port.

If that capability is available with TV, you can connect Laptop to TV and connection TV to AVR via Optical audio cable.

Cyberlink Power DVD Can do it,right?

Power DVD can decode dts and dolby ac3 and send it as multichannel pcm audio. In this case decoding done by the player. If you set the player to bitstream then signal is send untouched to the avr and the decoding is done by avr.

For DTS/DD, vlc is a very simple free solution.Even potplayer is fine.You have to connect optical out of Laptop to AVR in,set audio in vlc as spdf,also in soundcard contol panal & there you go.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back