Dual monitor issue

vebk

I am basically using my PC as a media center (still tinkering with the likes of xbmc etc.). Basically the ATI HD5770 card is what I use for video and audio out via HDMI to my receiver (Denon AVR-590) which in turn connects via HDMI to my TV (Sony Bravia W series). So basically I have a dual monitor setup with my Dell 24" monitor being the primary display (connected via DVI) and the Sony being the secondary (Well technically windows says the Denon receiver is the secondary monitor) connected via HDMI.

My issue is that if I have everything on (e.g. when I am watching a movie) everything works perfectly, but I want to have my TV off while still having the receiver on (e.g. when I just want to listen to music) then the dual monitor setup does a weird thing - my main monitor (Dell) displays what should be displaying on the secondary monitor (i.e. blank wallpaper, no icons, desktop disappears).

It's pretty irritating (not to mention wasteful) to have to keep my TV on while I am listening to music, particularly since it's only displaying a blank wallpaper.

Any solution?

Have you tired to make your dell as primary display ie '1', avr should be set to '2'.

You can do by the graphics 'setup' or changing the connection to your graphic card.
i guess HDMI if avlb(i.e when connected) will be by default the primary.

other way round to to change to single display in your graphics 'setup'

Well what I know is your graphic driver recognises Display & not AVR.When you keep TV on,Denon is just passing video from PC.So you can see TV as second monitor & not Denon in graphic CP.So naturally when you turn off TV,everything changes.

In my case too I need to keep my TV on 1st to get recognised by graphiccard.

Well what I know is your graphic driver recognises Display & not AVR.When you keep TV on,Denon is just passing video from PC.So you can see TV as second monitor & not Denon in graphic CP.So naturally when you turn off TV,everything changes.

In my case too I need to keep my TV on 1st to get recognised by graphiccard.

I was about to tell VBEK 2 contact you doc....
I hope your prescription works!!!:licklips::licklips:

Hmm... thanks for the replies guys. So basically I do want to extend my desktop over the two monitors. (What I want to be able to do is to play a movie on the TV while using the monitor for browsing etc.).

I noticed a weird thing while tinkering with the suggestions you gave me. In my windows 7 display properties, it shows "DENON-AVAMP" as Display #1 and my Dell monitor as display #2, but in ATI's catalyst control, it shows it the other way around. I think this may be causing the problem. The thing is that the only apparent option in the windows 7 screen resolution screen is to make a display your primary display. So while Windows sees the Dell monitor as Display #2 it does show it as the primary dispaly.

So basically I need windows to see the Dell monitor as display #1 and as primary display. I am going to try google, but in case anyone knows how to do this at the top of their head, please do enlighten me!

p.s. I have ultramon installed, and that too sees my Dell monitor as Display #1 (like ATI Catalyst Control) - so why does windows see it the other way around? :-~

Last edited:
Neither solution works, because with clone I can't do what I want to do (i.e. watch movie on TV and browse on monitor) but if you mean that I change it to clone everytime I want to hear music, then yes, that would work, but it means changing the setting everytime, and that's tedious.

Conencting AVR with spdf also doesn't work out well because firstly the cabling is embedded and it would be a serious b**** to re-lay the cables. And also to avoid the problem I would have to constantly change over audio from HFMI to SPDF which would be tedious.

Anyone have any idea how to change the dispaly numbers? Apparently it's a common bug in wondows 7 / vista.

Since you are using ATI, there is an option to force TV setup.

Catalyst->Display Options->Force TV Detect

Try that, it might do the trick.

^ I don't get that at all. Updated Catalyst control to the February release and still not. All I see is the part under "Graphics Adapter" and the two options as to auto or manual detection. I don't see the menu tree on the left or the Force TV options. Weird.

Anyway unable to find anything on Google, except that lots of people have this problem, and no one had a solution. :(

Oh.. thats because there are two modes, you need to be "Advanced" mode to see all options.

Well all diver CD consists of 2 drivers.
If you let windows select it,it will select basic driver where even in advance mode,you cant see details.
You need to only install ATI drivers.

well new to this forum but still i can try helping.. this some times happens if the display driver is not installed properly or also if the ati control center services do not startup properly with the system reboot..plz chk tht..

also what is the resolution you are using while extending ur desktop to the tv(lcd/plasma)

what u are expecting is correct it shud work fine if you switch off the television but it is not connected directly to your pc it is connected through the denon .now when u turn the tv off ..it shud not make any diffrence but due to the auto detection feature of windows 7 it searches for the hardware and ultimately gets ur denon-avr (xp will not have this issue). now do not use ati for configuring it as windows might overtake it (win7 ,vista there features were introduced) try configuring it from windows settings itself

right click > personalise > then chk for settings and set dell as primary display and also lcd for extended desktop...

what city are you in?

@ theironhorse: As my profile says I am in Delhi. Primary display is not the problem. The Dell is set as primary display in all settings (windows 7, ATI Catalyst Control, Ultramon).
Also, both displays are set at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz.

@spirovious: I downloaded the latest drivers for Windows 7 (64bit) direct from ATI's website (I downloaded the complete suite). And it gives me two options in the Catalyst Control installed on my system - Basic and Advanced. I am definitely on Advanced, but for sake of comprehensiveness I changed and checked. No dice.

The thing is that when I turn the TV off, there is a small pause in the sound, but the audio still continues after that pause on the Denon. Just my Dell despite being a primary driver, shows screen 2 (i.e. the extended desktop) and not screen 1 with the desktop icons etc.

vebk
I have be always on the Green side(nvidia), so have no idea on the red:).
but, have you tried by physically swapping the connections in the graphic card.?

try this...go to display properties.. through personalize then advanced and then adapter properties...try switching the display manually when it is showing denon as primary..apply and then turn on and turn off tv..chk if it works..

@spirovious: I downloaded the latest drivers for Windows 7 (64bit) direct from ATI's website (I downloaded the complete suite). And it gives me two options in the Catalyst Control installed on my system - Basic and Advanced. I am definitely on Advanced, but for sake of comprehensiveness I changed and checked. No dice.

I have used ATI in past & nvidia as current.
I found with both that newer Drivers works good for gaming.But whenever I tried them for TV out,they used to give problems.Sometimes no picture,Black n white shades,even few buttons in settings are missed.

In both cases,drivers comes with CD(GC) are useful.I found those works with ease,so you can try in same way.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back