Dual wired AES/EBU for L and R channels

Fiftyfifty

Staff member
My DAC can decode 192 Khz only if two AES/EBU sockets are connected in parallel in dual wire mode. In other words, the left channel of the AES/EBU signal goes into Terminal A and the right into Terminal B. My source has a single stereo AES/EBU out. Is there any way to split this signal into L and R channels that will go via two separate AES/EBU cables into the DAC?

Will be grateful for a solution.

Whats your DAC model?
With pci/pcie cards with multiple aes outs (lynx/digigram etc), you can have parallel out from the aes transport and map your L/R channels on each aes out through the control software
If you have a single aes source, I believe you can use common ground and route pin 1/2 on one aes connector and pin 1/3 on second aes connector

Whats your DAC model?
With pci/pcie cards with multiple aes outs (lynx/digigram etc), you can have parallel out from the aes transport and map your L/R channels on each aes out through the control software
If you have a single aes source, I believe you can use common ground and route pin 1/2 on one aes connector and pin 1/3 on second aes connector
Thanks! Sounds like that should work. I've also written to the DAC manufacturer. Let's see what he says. The Dac is Weiss Medea. It sounds great even if i downsample my files to 92khz which it accepts

Whats your DAC model?
@oyster Do you think a product like this could be useful:

But such a splitter will output both L and R channels through its 2 outputs, while what i need is one output should output L and the other R. Do you think one can play around with the pins to make each output only one channel?

Many thanks!

My DAC can decode 192 Khz only if two AES/EBU sockets are connected in parallel in dual wire mode. In other words, the left channel of the AES/EBU signal goes into Terminal A and the right into Terminal B. My source has a single stereo AES/EBU out. Is there any way to split this signal into L and R channels that will go via two separate AES/EBU cables into the DAC?

Will be grateful for a solution.
Until I saw this post, I thought it was on dCS that did dual-AES thing. As far as I know, it is not as simple as splitting the wire because the single wire carries information on both L and R channels. At this time I know of only one transport that supports dual-AES and that is dCS' Network bridge.

Thanks @bornfi @prem
Yes surely there are transports that do dual AES. Weiss too used to make these, maybe still do. I'm not looking for a new transport, but for a way to split the AES signal into L and R, so that I can use my existing transport with my existing DAC

Sweetwater®
Double Wide

One format of AES/EBU data transfer that accommodates higher sample rates such as 96 kHz. Since the AES/EBU standards didn’t originally include specific guidelines for transmitting audio data beyond 48 kHz, a couple of standards have more or less “emerged” on their own. The Double Wide standard breaks high sample rate audio, such as 96 kHz, up into two different 48 kHz AES data streams and transmits them separately. The double wide standard requires two AES “channels” (meaning two jacks, and two cables) to transmit a stereo pair of audio channels. The other common high bandwidth AES format is Double Fast, which essentially doubles the data rate of an existing single channel AES data stream and sends it over one cable.

So just to get to the bottom of this, how does the transport achieve this?
No idea, a technical person should answer that better. But one thing is firm, both the left and right carry the same signal at half the bandwidth. The header in the DAC reads the data, sums up both the inputs to achieve the full resolution for further processing.
It is more to do with limitation of the DACs input in your model.

In the current model of the DAC, all channels do hires in single mode itself though it still has bi-wire option on channels 1 and 2.

No idea if it technically offers any sonic advantages.

So just to get to the bottom of this, how does the transport achieve this?
This below provides some info.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back