Dust/dirt issues

saikat

Hello all,
Does anyone have any issues with dust/dirt etc in your av rooms? Are there any good practices you follow to keep these out?

Hello all,
Does anyone have any issues with dust/dirt etc in your av rooms? Are there any good practices you follow to keep these out?

Hi saikat ,

Almost every one has the problem with the dust and dirt in AV room , the best thing is to clean your system every day ( lol ) . I have a window in my AV room which is closed all the time., Dont dump unwanted things in the AV room., keep the room as simple as possible ( it will be easy for you to clean)

tharun.

In addition to what Tharun said, keep your equipment covered with fine cloth based covers that are stitched for them. Remove the covers only when you are using the system. Else keep them covered all the time. This will reduce the amount of dust that gets into your system.

If you have the capacity, for items such as CD/DVD Players and amps/AVRs, it might make sense to open the body and use a blower inside to remove the dirt inside. if you are hesitant to do that, any fine electronics shop should be able to help you. This can be done 2 or 3 times a year.

Cheers

Hi Saikat,
We all have dust formation on our gear from time to time. If u have an open rack or live close to an arterial road then even more.
Just keep cleaning the electronics regularly and use removable cloth covers to protect to an extent and clean the rear panel RCA/speaker connections with Isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab to remove whatever grime has collected. U can use IA on the RCA,banana plugs, spades etc too. Just let them dry before u reconnect and ur set to go.
I would not open any of my components but leave that to a qualified person.
Regards

Just to add what others have mentioned, don't use vacuum cleaners on the equipment.
In case you open stuff yourself and want to remove dust etc., always use a blower (some vacuum cleaners have a facility of being used as blowers).
For the discs/displays - any lint-free cloth like the 3M microfiber cloth or, even ones that can be obtained from spectacle shops, should do.

I find a used dhothi to be the best for cleaning. After a couple of washes, it becomes extremely soft. I steal used dhothi's from my family members and surprise them by gifting them new ones. Then I wash the dhothi well, rip it into small pieces and use it for cleaning. Best is it has no static electricity.

I know it sounds crazy, but it works very well for me. I am currently on the look out to to steal a dhothi as my stock is getting short.

I find a used dhothi to be the best for cleaning. After a couple of washes, it becomes extremely soft. I steal used dhothi's from my family members and surprise them by gifting them new ones. Then I wash the dhothi well, rip it into small pieces and use it for cleaning. Best is it has no static electricity.

I know it sounds crazy, but it works very well for me. I am currently on the look out to to steal a dhothi as my stock is getting short.

Now, thats a very nice idea, Venkat!

Oh god !!!! Now i knew who is stealing my dhothis all these days. LOL

Tharun, :) if you live in Chennai, give me your address and I will gift you some new dhothis, and steal your used ones. I have a huge stock of new dhothis as I get one whenever I attend a marriage. Can't people think of something else, other than cheap sarees and dhothis or white shirts. :)

Its a nice exchange offer Mr.Venkat., :rolleyes: let me think ;) .

tharun.

Tharun, :) if you live in Chennai, give me your address and I will gift you some new dhothis, and steal your used ones. I have a huge stock of new dhothis as I get one whenever I attend a marriage. Can't people think of something else, other than cheap sarees and dhothis or white shirts. :)

Venkat,

Nicely said. It doesn't sound crazy to me because I too do like that. Instead of dhothies, I use old cotton sarees to clean my DVD player, TV, amplifier, and speakers on a daily basis. I appreciate your frankness.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Speakers are also, if not more, important than electronics. There are two issues in a speaker. One is that all modern speakers have electronics inside.

Two; the speakers have what are called drivers which vibrate to create the sound that you hear. These drivers have diaphragms made of thin and very sensitive material. If you keep a speaker's front open and play some music, you will visually see the driver vibrate.

If lots of dust sits on the diaphragm, the quality of sound that the driver generates will change.

Venkat,

Nicely said. It doesn't sound crazy to me because I too do like that. Instead of dhothies, I use old cotton sarees to clean my DVD player, TV, amplifier, and speakers on a daily basis. I appreciate your frankness.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

What is this happening, one guy is after 'Dhoties' and the other one is looking for Sarees? Any body for 'pajamas' and 'baniyans' [Just kidding]

What is this happening, one guy is after 'Dhoties' and the other one is looking for Sarees? Any body for 'pajamas' and 'baniyans' [Just kidding]

Put this way, it really sound funny. I was laughing for a couple of minutes with copious tears in my eyes.

Cheers to HiFi, dhothis, sarees and all dress materials.

My friend Suresh uses old baniyans to clean his AV equipment. If he is a member, definitely he would have replied to this post. Unlike dhothies, it is difficult for a guy to steal old cotton sarees! :cool:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back