DVD Player help - HDMI/Upscaling/USB

Subhash, any idea whether their audio quality, sq for cd playback is as good as the Oppo 980h?

not too sure how the cd play back with the bdps sound
never really played a audio cd on a bdp
i use my marantz cdp

will chk it out on the pioneer bdp lx52 and let u know

i have philips 3368
i think these "upscaling""HDMI" and all are pure waste
FULL HD TV already has a good upscaling. DVD player doesn't play full HD file(1920x1080) neither through USB port

What is the highest resolution this thing can play? Wonder why are they marketing it as HD when it can't play 1080p?

Also what is the purpose of this upscaling player then? Did you try to set the TV to "just scan" and view the direct unmodified upscaled image from the DVDp? Is it any different from the image upscaled on the TV?

If no, then I wonder why they even bother to make it. it is more costly than a regular DVD player and does nothing more!

just connect a PC or LAPTOP via HDMI(which i think is best and u can play almost any format available on the planet

I too have come to that conclusion almost. You can add lot of post processing using different s/w media players and have hell a lot of control..

If only I can control the laptop remotely.. :rolleyes:

primarily, the ability to play DVDs...including rental DVDs, instead of having to rip them and then transfer them to your media player. While these forums might give you the opposite impression, doing all that stuff is pretty 'geeky' and most consumers don't want to get their 'hands messy' with all this. They'd much rather get a disc, pop it in a tray, and watch the movie.... unless of course they're into illegally downloading movies.

It's the same reason I don't particularly fancy a computer based transport. I'd rather pop my CDs into a CD player and play them. Yes yes, I know the convenience of quieing up all the music that you own and playing it with a click and all that, somehow that doesn't seem very appealing to me compared to playing a disc, which is also why I am leaning towards a blu-ray player instead of a WDTV Live.

You forgot the possibilities available to the IT crowd like us.. :D

The only investment needed is an external hard disk of 320 or 500 GB capacity. Almost everyone has one and have a collection of movies, sitcoms, serials, documentaries , mp3s, (and what not..) that they collected along the way .. It is as simple as to exchange the hard disk with a collegue/friend/friend's friend/... to get an entirely different collection of movies (with few repetetions) which will keep you (and him) occupied for months! Since it is an exchange, you dont have to worry about losing your disk too.. :D

Eventually, You dont download anything, You wont rip anything.. you dont even copy anything.. Just exchange the external hard disk, connect it to a media player, browze through and enjoy! This is the market that players like WD TV target..

I dont know if people take pains to rent a DVD/Download a movie and rip it, store it in a HDD and connect it to the player. If it is so, these players would have been dead ages ago. :rolleyes:

I bought the Philips 3388 as I got a good deal on it alongwith a Panasonic 50" plasma.
Works well and I am able to view movies from a USB pen drive. Haven't tried connecting a HDD but will do so.

Now, I'm looking at a media player and am a bit confused with all the choices. Which would be better - WDTV, Xtreamer or Egreat?

Thanks.

find my answers in bold
What is the highest resolution this thing can play? Wonder why are they marketing it as HD when it can't play 1080p?
720x480 is the highest resolution it can play
i have to downsize my 1080p files to this format,to play them in DVP
again the DVP uscales to 1080p :annoyed:WTF!!!the quality is so badly hurt after all these processes that is horrible to say the least
when i used laptop to play 1080p via hdmi it looked simply superb and fluid

Also what is the purpose of this upscaling player then? Did you try to set the TV to "just scan" and view the direct unmodified upscaled image from the DVDp? Is it any different from the image upscaled on the TV?

upscaling in DVP is useful if TV doesn't have this (like in a entry level model or a monitor)
i think just scan feature is not available in 40B530 samsung
i think we can't bypass upscaling bcas it is built in to image processing of the TV

If no, then I wonder why they even bother to make it. it is more costly than a regular DVD player and does nothing more!

Just some marketing gimmicks which these manufacturers enjoy al ot doing

I too have come to that conclusion almost. You can add lot of post processing using different s/w media players and have hell a lot of control..

If only I can control the laptop remotely.. :rolleyes:
next best thing is to go for WDTV live which has networking capability
and yes, it has a remote too!!

no thanks i dont sell , cud give contacts for people to buy @ cheaper rates

products from pioneer are well built and wud last 3-5 yrs without the need for your bill and warranty, by this time the technology wud have changed

pioneer products are very much sought after in the grey market and thier products have very good reputation, so definetly not worth paying the extra bucks

I agree on the reliability of Pioneer products. Just make sure that it is not a used one.

no thanks i dont sell , cud give contacts for people to buy @ cheaper rates

products from pioneer are well built and wud last 3-5 yrs without the need for your bill and warranty, by this time the technology wud have changed

pioneer products are very much sought after in the grey market and thier products have very good reputation, so definetly not worth paying the extra bucks

I agree on the reliability of Pioneer products. Just make sure that it is not a used one.

definetly u need to be careful regarding this issue
but if u trust the guy from whom u source ,it should not matter
and also these are all very new models so the question of being used may be doubtful
and by the packing u cud make out ,as these new BDPs in grey come factory sealed which is difficult to fake

but there definetly is a small amt of risk if bought from unreliable source

Hi there, :clapping:
I recently joined your community so this happens to be my very first post.
I recently bought a 40" Sony Bravia Full HD 1080p LCD tv with Bravia Engine 3 and 4 HDMI ports (can't tell the model number as i am out of town for a while :sad:).
I was looking for a device that could play my 1080p content that i frequently download through the net, so came to this thread. Even after going through all the posts i am still confused on which one to buy. Hope you can tell me the right one as i am really confused and don't want to end up dissatisfied. Here is what i want from the device,
1. Ability to Play 1080p content which will be present on a USB Pendrive or Portable Hard Drive ( 1-2 Tb if this helps) with excellent picture quality (strictly no downscaling).
2. As all the content i have is in .mkv format so it would be a big bonus if it can play this format.
3. HDMI out (that's obvious)
4. No need for network access, wireless capabilities etc.
5. Will do if it does not have any other options than USB input.
Price range 5-6k,
Location New Delhi

All other things are just a bonus not requisite

Hi all,

I already have an Oppo BDP-83 coming down for my HT setup.

The DVD I need now is to be used in a bedroom with a 50" Plasma. I do download old movies from the net (legally) and would like the ability to play them directly of a USB stick or USB HDD (is that possible).

I checked the Philips India site and their top model is the 3388/94. Does anyone have any experience with this player? Can I connect a USB HDD to it?

Also, someone wrote about a media player. How does that work? Can someone post a link to a product?

Thanks.

Hi,

I bought the Philips 3388 ( I already had a WD TV) a couple of months ago for the convenience of popping in the rental DVDs and just playing them. I am a fan of the old classics and the PQ is not all hat great in the first place, for the source to make a real difference. It came with a free HDMI cable, so that was a bonus.

I don't think the DVD player works with a USB HDD, but a flash drive is pretty effective.

So if you are to buy one of the two sources- I would recommend a media player for superior quality. The DVD player is primarily for convenience.

Hi,

I don't think the DVD player works with a USB HDD, but a flash drive is pretty effective.

It plays movies from an external HDD. I am presently using a 60GB HDD with 2 partitions formatted in FAT32. It reads from both partitions without a problem. I have also used other media through a USB card reader.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back