DVD player with best 5.1 analog and component video within 10k

amol12

Hi All
Firstly let me thank you all for you responses to my earlier queries about HT speakers and Universal players. Currently I have put on hold plans to buy a full-fledged setup. and what I need is only a decent DVD player. Budget : <10k.
More about Requirements:
Should play most of the formats if not all. DVD-A, SACD is not a must.
Should be user friendly (as my parents would also be using it).

I am sure I need following outputs /inputs
1. component video (for my existing CRT TV)
2. 5.1 channel analogue audio output (of course preamp and not power)
3. HDMI, coaxial ( for future)
4. USB

I have had a look at Pioneer models and 600, although a old model, is the one which has most of the above features and also is in my budget (i guess 10k). Any other brand that I should look for?
Also need info on good shops/dealers in Pune where I can audition the player.

Hi,

Go for Samsung DVD-HD 860

Features-

1.Plays all ,Divx also
2.HDMI present
3.5.1 ready
4.recommended by whatshifi
5.for Rs.7000 to 8000

Hi All
Should play most of the formats if not all. DVD-A, SACD is not a must.
Should be user friendly (as my parents would also be using it).

1. component video (for my existing CRT TV)
2. 5.1 channel analogue audio output (of course preamp and not power)
3. HDMI, coaxial ( for future)
4. USB

I have had a look at Pioneer models and 600, although a old model, is the one which has most of the above features and also is in my budget (i guess 10k). Any other brand that I should look for?
Also need info on good shops/dealers in Pune where I can audition the player.

Firstly the Pioneer DV-600 has been released in the last few months. It is not an old model. Some of the models you should look for are the following:

1. The HD-860 as suggested by Spirovious.
2. The Samsung DVD-1080PK at Rs.4900
3. The Sony DVP-NS78H at Rs.5990
4. The Pioneer Dv-400 at around Rs.5000
6. The Pioneer Dv-600 at around Rs.7000

The Pioneers will be available in shops that specialize in HT Systems. If you are lucky, it may be available in a Pioneer showroom. Sony and Samsung will be available is their respective showrooms and should be easy to locate in Pune. The USB may not be available in all as the concept is new.

If you are worried about support and warranty, jus go in for the Samsung or Sony.

When you are auditioning, please take your own DVDs.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat and spirovious.
Firstly the Pioneer DV-600 has been released in the last few months. It is not an old model.

I read here : http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-playe...739-bangalore-retailer-pioneer-dv-600-av.html that there has been a upgrade of 600 to 610. THe Pioneer singapore website also has only 610 model listed.
Some of the models you should look for are the following:

1. The HD-860 as suggested by Spirovious.
2. The Samsung DVD-1080PK at Rs.4900
3. The Sony DVP-NS78H at Rs.5990
4. The Pioneer Dv-400 at around Rs.5000
6. The Pioneer Dv-600 at around Rs.7000
1. The HD-860 as suggested by Spirovious. - no longer listed on Samsung india samsung.co.in website.
2. The Samsung DVD-1080PK at Rs.4900 - will check this out
3. The Sony DVP-NS78H at Rs.5990 - no 5.1 analogue output on any sony models
4. The Pioneer Dv-400 at around Rs.5000 - no 5.1 analogue output on this.
6. The Pioneer Dv-600 at around Rs.7000 - seems the candidate I will buy (especially if it is at 7K).
The Pioneers will be available in shops that specialize in HT Systems. If you are lucky, it may be available in a Pioneer showroom. Sony and Samsung will be available is their respective showrooms and should be easy to locate in Pune. The USB may not be available in all as the concept is new.

If you are worried about support and warranty, jus go in for the Samsung or Sony.

I have seen the Pioneer available at a AVxellence in Pune. - pretty impressed with video o/p.
I dont remember if it was 600 or 400 but they are available there. Price quoted was high. For 600 (610?) I was quoted 10k. That was without bill and warranty I guess although I didn't inquire after I was told that it was a "cash" product. Anyway will hunt for some more shops in Pune and pick this up. (Pune members please let me know good HT shops)
When you are auditioning, please take your own DVDs.

Cheers
Hmm, seems to be a big problem here .. I dont have any DVDs of my own neither have I watched a single movie on DVD too many times to note differences .. I guess I will have to see for myself what the showroom guys will show.

Hmm, seems to be a big problem here .. I dont have any DVDs of my own neither have I watched a single movie on DVD too many times to note differences .. I guess I will have to see for myself what the showroom guys will show.

Amol, I would seriously suggest you buy a DVD and take it with you. I can offer some advise on DVDs that push the player and HT system in terms of video and sound.

ENGLISH

The Incredibles (Superb Video)
Air Force One
Gladiator (Sound of War in the beginning is excellent)
The Rock
Die Hard
The Magnificent Seven
Kill Bill 1 and/or 2
The Hunted (Difficult to get, but best sound effect I have ever heard)

HINDI

Kaho Na Pyar Hai
Sarfarosh
Race
Johnny Gaddaar
Halla Bol
Gangaajal (The Shemaroo DVD is very good)

The reason I have mentioned the Hindi DVDs are because I have seen the DVDs and their quality is very good. Gangaajal, in particular, has very good video. A good upscaling player should render it well.

An English and Hindi DVD should cost you about 700 to 800. Believe me, it is money well spent. The show room have very few DVDs, and many of them carry pirated DVDs, or the DVDs that have 15 or 20 movies in them. In addition these DVDs are handled roughly and have lots of scratches.

I am not sure you understand Tamil but I can recommend some excellent movies in Tamil also.

Cheers

Muthu:

Some of the Tamil movies whose DVD I liked for video and sound are the following:

1. Gajini (Very good cinematography)
2. Kuruvi
3. Pokkiri (excellent cinematography, and use of colors)
4. Saamy
5. Gilli
6. Mozhi
7. Kaaka Kaaka (Excellent songs)
8. Vettaiyadu Vilaiyaadu (good sound and music)
9. Nandhaa
10. Red

Before you start wondering on my taste in movies, I have listed these purely for the quality of the DVD recording.

Amol:

I wanted to add another Hindi movie whose recording is good and that is Jab We Met. There is not much sound in this movie but the video is good.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat for the lists. I surely will try to get one of those before I start auditioning.

The showroom I went to (AVxellencE) had really good original DVD (English - i dont know the name). The sound effects were so good that even my 1 yr old daughter turned her head!

Other showrooms I agree with you. I went to Sony world on Saturday and the state was pathetic there. There was not a single DVD player for demo. Other things I noticed :
1. a 5.1 HTIB was present but without a display. When I asked him that I wanted a demo - the guy turned on the system and started playing (Himesh) songs - that to mp3 in full volume.
2. No HT component system for demo
3. only one Plasma or LCD(i dont know) for demo. Everywhere else there were only posters and leaflets hanging across the store.
4. No Hi-fi sytem for demo.
It seemed like mobiles, cables and camcorders were the only things they were selling in about 3-4000 sqft showroom at a prime spot.

I felt like I was wasting my time and didn't visit any other such showrooms. Will search more for specialized HT showrooms this weekend.

Last edited:
Muthu:

Some of the Tamil movies whose DVD I liked for video and sound are the following:

1. Gajini (Very good cinematography)
2. Kuruvi
3. Pokkiri (excellent cinematography, and use of colors)
4. Saamy
5. Gilli
6. Mozhi
7. Kaaka Kaaka (Excellent songs)
8. Vettaiyadu Vilaiyaadu (good sound and music)
9. Nandhaa
10. Red

Before you start wondering on my taste in movies, I have listed these purely for the quality of the DVD recording.

Amol:

I wanted to add another Hindi movie whose recording is good and that is Jab We Met. There is not much sound in this movie but the video is good.

Cheers

Venkat,

Thanks a lot for the list. I have seen some of the movies listed without a home theater setup. I have the original audio CD of Kaaka Kaaka and the songs are excellent as you said.

Regards,
Muthu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back