Electrostatic shock from LED TV (TCL 65P8E)

ememm

Hi,
I have got a new TCL 65P8E installed at my home yesterday, replacing a TCL L43P2US.
Installation went fine and the picture quality is great for my requirements. But later at night when I touched the panel to take out a sticker, I got a mild electric shock along with a buzz/crackling. Immediately I checked the metal parts (screws, connectors, metal part of the bezel) of the TV with a line tester and a multimeter. The line tested glows faintly and the multimeter reads 96 V AC. I did not get the electric shock again when i touched the plastic or metal parts of the TV, so I suspect the buzzing and the shock was due to electrostatic build up due to the stray voltage seen on the metal parts.

Since then I have read few posts on similar issue and the general theme of the responses is to check the 'earthing' of the building. Even when I called Reliance Digital (from where i purchased the TV), they also immediately tried to push back saying it must be an 'earthing' problem at my house. I have two questions at this point.
1) How can the problem of "earthing" of the building cause this problem when the TV itself has only a 2-pin plug. (I think most TVs have only 2-pin)
2) Why don't the TVs ship with a 3-pin plug? (I've read about the double-insulation, but with exposed metal connectors, TVs seem to be good candidates for 3-pin plugs)

I have requested Reliance Digital to send a technician to check and confirm, so waiting to see how it goes.

Meanwhile I have done the following things to isolate the issue:
0) Removed all external connections from the TV - (Firestick HDMI, Firestick USB power, 3.5 mm connection to Amp, LAN connection)
1) Check Phase and Neutral lines in the socket- Result: Only Phase glows with the line tester. Multimeter reads 230 V AC
2) Check voltage between Neutral and Ground lines in the socket - Result: 0 V AC
3) Reverse the plug of the TV - Result: No change. Metal parts still shows 96 V AC
4) Remove the stabilizer, power strip from the power chain - Result: No change.
5) Remove the inverter of the building and connect to direct power supply - Result: No change.
6) Connected a wire from metal part of TV to Ground in the socket - Result: 0 V AC

Can someone please help me to answer few questions before I push Reliance Digital/ TCL for help.
1) Did someone else face such problem? What was the solution?
2) Is this expected/a common occurrence? - the voltage on the metal parts and the electrostatic build-up and shock?
3) Is there any way to conclusively narrow down the issue to a faulty TV and get it replaced?

Thanks for reading and TIA for the replies.

Hi,

Meanwhile I have done the following things to isolate the issue:
0) Removed all external connections from the TV - (Firestick HDMI, Firestick USB power, 3.5 mm connection to Amp, LAN connection)
1) Check Phase and Neutral lines in the socket- Result: Only Phase glows with the line tester. Multimeter reads 230 V AC
2) Check voltage between Neutral and Ground lines in the socket - Result: 0 V AC
3) Reverse the plug of the TV - Result: No change. Metal parts still shows 96 V AC
4) Remove the stabilizer, power strip from the power chain - Result: No change.
5) Remove the inverter of the building and connect to direct power supply - Result: No change.
6) Connected a wire from metal part of TV to Ground in the socket - Result: 0 V AC

Can someone please help me to answer few questions before I push Reliance Digital/ TCL for help.
1) Did someone else face such problem? What was the solution?
2) Is this expected/a common occurrence? - the voltage on the metal parts and the electrostatic build-up and shock?
3) Is there any way to conclusively narrow down the issue to a faulty TV and get it replaced?

Thanks for reading and TIA for the replies.

Generally such problem would disappear when you reverse the plug / remove the power conditioning equipment (inverter, ups, extension board / surge protector if any etc). You have done all of that. I would say it is a problem caused by the TV based on the thorough tests that you have carried out.
A doubt: Is it electrostatic voltage - given the value of 96v? After connecting the body metal parts to earth, have you checked the voltage in other power sockets - Is the phase to ground voltage still zero?
It could prove risky if kids are around and may be even for adults.

Generally such problem would disappear when you reverse the plug / remove the power conditioning equipment (inverter, ups, extension board / surge protector if any etc). You have done all of that. I would say it is a problem caused by the TV based on the thorough tests that you have carried out.
A doubt: Is it electrostatic voltage - given the value of 96v? After connecting the body metal parts to earth, have you checked the voltage in other power sockets - Is the phase to ground voltage still zero?
It could prove risky if kids are around and may be even for adults.
I am assuming that it is static because I got the shock (and the buzz) while touching the plastic part, not the metal part. I haven't checked the voltage in other sockets after grounding the TV. I don't expect it to change, but I will check tonight.

Yes, risk for kids is the major concern. That is why I was wondering why manufacturers don't include earthing for equipments with exposed metal connectors. I checked my 2 PC monitors at office and the one with 2-pin European model connector has 113V AC on the HDMI connector body while the 3-pin one doesnot.

I have done some more checks yesterday night and the result is very interesting.

Yesterday I had the TV switched off the whole day, but when I touched it again in the evening, I got an electrostatic shock. That got me thinking, and after some more experiments, the real culprit for the electrostatic shock is narrowed down to the combination of Bangalore weather+The fabric on my recliner+Slippers which I use :) There seems to be significant charge build-up because of the cold, dry climate of Bangalore and the fabric on my sofa seems to be accelerating it. The slippers are insulating me from the ground, so the charge remains on my skin and causes the shock when I touch any path for discharge. In fact I dont even have to touch - just being near a metal after rubbing myself on the sofa makes the line tester glow with a crackling sound from the tip, which was spooky the first time I saw it. :) If I dont use the slippers, none of this happens as the charge gets grounded as soon as i get up from the sofa.

In spite of the real reason for the shock, my questions regarding the AC voltage seen on the TV metal parts remain. Can someone provide more insight on these?

1) Is anyone else facing similar Voltage on the metal parts of the TV - It would be really nice if someone can test with a line-tester or a multimeter and report.
2) Is ~100 V AC dangerous? I didnot get shock when I touch the metal parts of the TV (Maybe not enough current?), but is this normal?
3) Why don't the TVs ship with a 3-pin plug?
4) Is there any down-side to doing a manual 'earthing' (just to be safe) from the TV body to the socket using a wire?

Thanks.

Yes. I too feel slight tingling on my fingers whenever i touch the metal part of the TV and my soundbar. I too wonder why today's most of consumer electronics doesn't come with 3 ping plug. And also came to know that its normal.

Yes. I too feel slight tingling on my fingers whenever i touch the metal part of the TV and my soundbar.

If possible can you measure the voltage? I cannot feel anything on the metal parts now, but if I measure, there is a 96 V AC voltage. I fear for kids' safety with such voltages exposed.

I too wonder why today's most of consumer electronics doesn't come with 3 ping plug. And also came to know that its normal.

According to the Reliance Digital service technician I spoke to, electronic gadgets with sensitive boards don't include earthing because they get easily damaged if there is an earthing problem in the building or if some other faulty equipment causes earthing. I don't know how far this is true. If this is true, then manual earthing is not a good idea.

If possible can you measure the voltage? I cannot feel anything on the metal parts now, but if I measure, there is a 96 V AC voltage. I fear for kids' safety with such voltages exposed.
I don't have any multi meter with me. So its difficult for me to measure. However my wife and my kid didn't feel. Might be, it is the electronic metal that discharging the electrons through my body to ground. Its my guess.

I AM drame

According to the Reliance Digital service technician I spoke to, electronic gadgets with sensitive boards don't include earthing because they get easily damaged if there is an earthing problem in the building or if some other faulty equipment causes earthing. I don't know how far this is true. If this is true, then manual earthing is not a good idea.
I am drameri Emmanuel from uganda.
I have the same problem of tv metal showing power when tested with glow tester.
When I tested with multimeter it is 204v but when I touch the metallic part of tv it not socking but the client is complianing that it does sock him

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back