Emotiva amplifiers|DACT

I was wondering why not go the pro-amp route for my HT as well. Why is this route not common? What are the disadvantages or negatives of using say a Crown for example?

You might need to use a fan if your driving it really hard ... fan noise

Just the look of them, they look different than consumer gear.

But lot of people abroad have done this you could get some pointers from avsforum.

The most challenging thing for me is the tune a HT system with this gear due to input level being different. It takes time and effort and each time you change your room layout, acoustics or gear, the process has to be redone. Which is a fair bit of effort. However once you get it right, it sounds absolutely amazing. Few months ago, I helped set one up and we watched the monsters inc. I felt that the effects were much more pronouned than a lot of expensive power amp would put out with amps that cost about 30% of the same.

The 2nd most challenging thing is managing the hum in the gear when using these gear. It is sometimes hard to diagnose and even if you did it, hard to mitigate them. I usually end up being lucky sometimes by using different circuits but most times I have to have dedicated components that eliminiatet the hum. Which means there is that additional cost to adding yet another equipment to the setup.

Second most challenging thing is the connectivity. While I am seeing lot more amps supporting RCA/balanced connections, some of hte older ones only support the balanced. Which means I have to use adaptors with the AVRs/pre-amps if they dont support balanced. The leads to an additional connection in the chain which some people dont desire. If your AVR or pre-pro support balanced then it makes it a whole lot easier.

I dont particularly think most amps look good at all except a few. But this is a question of personal aesthetics.

You might need to use a fan if your driving it really hard ... fan noise

Just the look of them, they look different than consumer gear.

But lot of people abroad have done this you could get some pointers from avsforum.

Being a musician with some analog gear (and a tube amp for my guitar on the way:)), the hum/grounding problems on home audio gear are nowhere even close to the problems with the former. 60 cycle hum, ground loops, batteries dying, blah blah blah.

About using professional amps with Maggie gear, while they are high power, their current handling abilities seem to differ from those required for the speakers. It'll do in a pinch, but not really the most exciting solution. I plugged in a Carvin 150 wpc amp into it and while it sounded OK, I'm happier with my current solution (Sansui AU 517 integrated). Still lusting for an Emotiva or Outlaw, though..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back