emotiva amplifiers???

Manu, I am little concerned with your term 'I am stuck'. I think Asit has explained the need for power quite well. I wonder why are you looking for more power. And the Onkyo 705 is an able AVR.

Speaker specifications usually have a range such as 30 watts to 200 watts. To out it in a crude manner, 30 watts in the minimum power at which the speakers will wake up. 200 watts is the power at which the speaker will literally explode. This is the maximum power that the speakers can handle.

The Onkyo 705 has more than enough power to drive your speakers. Remember that the Onkyo has 7 channels of 100 watts each. So it's total power is close to 700 watts. In a movie, the bulk of the signals are sent to the Front L&R and to the Centre channel. In addition, your sub has a amplifier if its own and adds to the power of the AVR.

If you are using a 5.1 set up, you can bi-amp the Front L&R speakers with the power of the Rear L&R channels from your AVR. This way you will be pumping nearly 150 watts per channels to the Front L&R speakers. Believe me, you will NEVER need more power than this unless you want to go deaf in a few weeks.

As has been mentioned many times, the sane levels to listen to is 65-70dB at one meter from you speakers. On a good amp/speaker combination, this is never more than 50 watts per channel.

Why are you looking for more power?

Cheers

hey brother as you suggested 65 to 70 db at one metre from speakers right but i'm sitting 6 metre away kinda 19 feet from mine front and centre speakers so how many watts do i need
and as youasking why i'm looking for more power is because sometimes i listen to full volume and at full volume my speakers distort so that why i though may be enogh power can't distort my speakers ;)

and as you asking why i'm looking for more power is because sometimes i listen to full volume and at full volume my speakers distort so that why i though may be enogh power can't distort my speakers ;)

If you speakers are already distorting, why add more power? You will only add more distortion. Instead of increasing power, look at room acoustics, and reducing ambient sounds. That will help you hear the sound clearly and at less power.

Cheers

If you speakers are already distorting, why add more power? You will only add more distortion. Instead of increasing power, look at room acoustics, and reducing ambient sounds. That will help you hear the sound clearly and at less power.

Cheers
my room is properly acoustically treated ,i just want to know right now i use onkyo htr 560 av receiver with my polk speakers which comes with onkyo 5100 htib which is 130 watts/ch at 1 khz ,1 ch driven someone told me that its not basically 130 watts its near about 60 to 70 watts/ch so that;'s why i want to know if i add onkyo 705 does it reduce distortion

my room is properly acoustically treated ,i just want to know right now i use onkyo htr 560 av receiver with my polk speakers which comes with onkyo 5100 htib which is 130 watts/ch at 1 khz ,1 ch driven someone told me that its not basically 130 watts its near about 60 to 70 watts/ch so that;'s why i want to know if i add onkyo 705 does it reduce distortion

Now I am completely confused. What do you have? The Onkyo 5100?

As per Onkyo's web site (Onkyo HT-S5100 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Package with iPod Dock | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products), the amplifier of the 5100 does seem to provide 130 watts per channel of dynamic power. So I am not sure what you mean when you say 'it is near about 60 to 70 watts per channel'.

If these specifications are correct, I don't think the power of the amp is your problem. It could be cables, interconnects, incorrect set up, or one of many other things.

I think you should identify and resolve the issue before spending more money.

There is no guarantee that a more powerful amp will distort your speakers any less if the circumstances are the same. One main reason you should have distortion is when the speakers are being driven close to their clipping power. Or the input data is being mixed with noise somewhere between the source and the speakers.

You really need to find out why you are getting any distortion now.

Cheers

Cheers

Now I am completely confused. What do you have? The Onkyo 5100?

As per Onkyo's web site (Onkyo HT-S5100 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Package with iPod Dock | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products), the amplifier of the 5100 does seem to provide 130 watts per channel of dynamic power. So I am not sure what you mean when you say 'it is near about 60 to 70 watts per channel'.

If these specifications are correct, I don't think the power of the amp is your problem. It could be cables, interconnects, incorrect set up, or one of many other things.

I think you should identify and resolve the issue before spending more money.

There is no guarantee that a more powerful amp will distort your speakers any less if the circumstances are the same. One main reason you should have distortion is when the speakers are being driven close to their clipping power. Or the input data is being mixed with noise somewhere between the source and the speakers.

You really need to find out why you are getting any distortion now.

Cheers

Cheers

don't be confused yaar i have onkyo 5100 htib and polk speakers what i have done is i disconnected all the speakers that comes with onkyo 5100 htib and i use its av receiver to power my polk speakers and the thing i said about its not 130 watts/ch rather than 60 to 70 watts is because in avs forum site i have read in someone's thread about its real wattage specificaions they said its basically 60 to 70 watts /ch when all channels are driven and they also said that this av receiver has very meaningless specs with 130 wattc/ch at 1khz (basically a good receiver has specs from so so watts at 20 to 20khz) on that basis i guess its 60 to 70 watts/ch

and also in my onkyo 5100 htib menu on page no. 8 it said about amplifier is 75watts/ch at 8ohms and 130 watts/ch at 6ohms and also on its last page it said 110 watts/ch at 8ohms for north american sets and 130 watts/ch at 8ohms for european sets so i guess if onkyo is not sure about there specs in their menu then how can we sure about their specs too :rolleyes:

is this distortion due to amp going into clipping? then it makes sense to add more power.
Manu, you may also look at 3480 or 3490 HK models that are 120wpc rms and cost about 25-30k.

But sitting at 6 meters from speakers? Is that you only option? Do you always sit that far, or you sit close when watching movies and far when listening to music?
Try moving closer to the speaker, or shift speakers closer to you.

regards

is this distortion due to amp going into clipping? then it makes sense to add more power.
Manu, you may also look at 3480 or 3490 HK models that are 120wpc rms and cost about 25-30k.

But sitting at 6 meters from speakers? Is that you only option? Do you always sit that far, or you sit close when watching movies and far when listening to music?
Try moving closer to the speaker, or shift speakers closer to you.

regards

as for sitting is concern i sit at 19 feet away is because i have a projector sony vpl aw 15 with 120 inch screen 16:9 if i sit closer than 19 feet then i get headache or you can say i don't feel comfortable closer than 19 feet from screen every one has their own taste for big screen sittings some like very close to screen and other like me sit to comfortable sitting which also don't hurt our eyes

and as you stated about hk its only stereo receiver i want 7.1 av receiver for my polk speakers i have tsi 400 floor stander,cs 20 centre and 4 tsi 200 bookshelf for surrounds
which is best though onkyo ,denon or hk:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think the best solution for you is to add a 2 channel power amp to your existing 705 Avr. Few months back I had the same trouble as I myself own a Pair of Polk Rti A7 which is rated max at 300 watts at 8 ohms and the contineous power requirement for them is @ 150 watts so I added the Sonodyne's SPA 202 power amp to it which costed me Rs 19000 in Delhi and it did wonders to the already existing setup of mine which has Nr905. But remember to use a decent interconnectors to connect both AVR and Power amp, then in the second phase change the power cables of AVR as well as Power amp and notice the difference. In the mean time I would recommend you to bi-amp your TSi speakers with your Sr705 and see that if that makes any difference. Earlier when I was runing my Polk Rti A7 with Sr 705 (which I also own) wired normally then I noticed that at higher volumes I noticed soft clipping then I bi-amped my speaker i.e Top section to the main left and right channel and bottom (woofer) section to the Rear surround channel (remember to set the bi-amp option in the amp setting section) this helped a lot and the problem of soft clipping was solved and the sound also improved to an extent. But then I bought Nr905.

I have 100" screen and I sit at 10 - 12'. 19 ft is way too far.
And by stereo amp I meant extra power for your fronts while using avr.

as for sitting is concern i sit at 19 feet away is because i have a projector sony vpl aw 15 with 120 inch screen 16:9 if i sit closer than 19 feet then i get headache or you can say i don't feel comfortable closer than 19 feet from screen every one has their own taste for big screen sittings some like very close to screen and other like me sit to comfortable sitting which also don't hurt our eyes

and as you stated about hk its only stereo receiver i want 7.1 av receiver for my polk speakers i have tsi 400 floor stander,cs 20 centre and 4 tsi 200 bookshelf for surrounds
which is best though onkyo ,denon or hk:rolleyes:

I have 100" screen and I sit at 10 - 12'. 19 ft is way too far.
And by stereo amp I meant extra power for your fronts while using avr.

i have written that some people prefer very close sitting and some comfortable so for me 19 feet is very comfortable and also easy on my eyes too

one more thing if you don't see in my previous reply' which is best av receiver if price is not concern onkyo,denon,yamaha,harman kardon i want for movies and xbox 360:cool:

I think the best solution for you is to add a 2 channel power amp to your existing 705 Avr. Few months back I had the same trouble as I myself own a Pair of Polk Rti A7 which is rated max at 300 watts at 8 ohms and the contineous power requirement for them is @ 150 watts so I added the Sonodyne's SPA 202 power amp to it which costed me Rs 19000 in Delhi and it did wonders to the already existing setup of mine which has Nr905. But remember to use a decent interconnectors to connect both AVR and Power amp, then in the second phase change the power cables of AVR as well as Power amp and notice the difference. In the mean time I would recommend you to bi-amp your TSi speakers with your Sr705 and see that if that makes any difference. Earlier when I was runing my Polk Rti A7 with Sr 705 (which I also own) wired normally then I noticed that at higher volumes I noticed soft clipping then I bi-amped my speaker i.e Top section to the main left and right channel and bottom (woofer) section to the Rear surround channel (remember to set the bi-amp option in the amp setting section) this helped a lot and the problem of soft clipping was solved and the sound also improved to an extent. But then I bought Nr905.

i can't bi amp them because i have 7.2 set up :indifferent14:

i have written that some people prefer very close sitting and some comfortable so for me 19 feet is very comfortable and also easy on my eyes too

one more thing if you don't see in my previous reply' which is best av receiver if price is not concern onkyo,denon,yamaha,harman kardon i want for movies and xbox 360:cool:

have a look at sunfire brother...it may not have the latest codes, but its highly powerful and its sonic abilities are better than most AVRs..or else go seperates..i have marantz av8003 as preamp and sunfire TGA 7400 400 * 7 watts.. love this totally

have a look at sunfire brother...it may not have the latest codes, but its highly powerful and its sonic abilities are better than most AVRs..or else go seperates..i have marantz av8003 as preamp and sunfire TGA 7400 400 * 7 watts.. love this totally

Sunfire is a fantastic brand and amps are looked at with lots of respect. The Grand Cinema is one of the best ones out there for musicality and performance. Hard to get in India and also as they dont get sold even as used a lot.

is there any risk of buying online from emotiva

please reply

search on the forum. Some things to get you started,

shipping cost, damage during shipment, returns for fix during warranty period (cost + damage again), ....

Those things are very heavy and cost a fortune. Emo does not ship back with anyone except FedEx. So you will be docked for their charges whether you like it or not.

hi max..i am also from kolkata..nice to meet you..
any help/info can i share...
Thanks Prosenjit....actually I am planning to buy a integrated amplifier for my polk audio TSI 500 my options are..

1)Cambridge Audio 651 ae (40-41k apx)

2)NAD 326 BEE (32-35K Apx)

2)Emotiva X-200 (Have to ship it from USA Got a quote of USD 702 including shipment,(no idea if I have to pay duty,tax extra )

3) Denon PMA 1500

To many options and confusion....

Room size 12*10
Mostly for Music
2.0 Setup
Will be using lossless file from my lapto via Creative soundblaster USB DAC

:indifferent14:

Hi all,

Received an email from Emotiva, just thought will share the information. Its a Class A Mono block Power amp from them, pl go thro link below:

XPA-1L | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifiers, as well

I dont have affiliation or business interest with Emotiva just posting for information purpose alone.

N.Murali

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back