emotiva UPA-2 for mission floorstanders for pc music??

kaustubh

Hi Guys

I was planning on buying the mission m35i. Source is going to be my laptop with a creative soundcard.

One of my friends is going abroad. I wanted to know if it would be good idea to get him to pick up an emotiva UPA-2?? or is better to stick to NAD or norge integrateds?

No plans to add a sub for at least 1-2 years (no $$).. but i do like to listen good bassy music.. some other reco for the speakers will also be good.. my entire budget is around 40k (amp + speaker)

UPA-2 is a power amp. You will need a buy also a pre-amp

Yes, but I read that it can be used with a soundcard (on this forum and some other places). If I do but a pre amp is the emotiva a better option?

Yes, but I read that it can be used with a soundcard (on this forum and some other places). If I do but a pre amp is the emotiva a better option?

Never listened to Emotiva so not sure how they perform or about their sound signature. Their pricing is super as they sell directly. There is no distributor and retailer involved. And for now they have Christmas discounts going on too

If you like Bass oriented Music then do look at any American Brands for speakers in comparison with their British Counterparts.
Try looking at Polk as they blend very well with Emotiva Speakers and they have options of inbuilt woofers too in their speakers.

hmm.. i would have around 20 - 25k left for the speakers.. would the polk's for that much have better bass than the m35i (3way with 2 6.5 inch woofers)???
I would be buying the speakers in India..

hmm.. i would have around 20 - 25k left for the speakers.. would the polk's for that much have better bass than the m35i (3way with 2 6.5 inch woofers)???
I would be buying the speakers in India..

Not in that budget but if you could up it a bit till around 45-50K then I think that Polk RTI A7 would do the trick for you, which has 1x1" tweeter, 1x 6.5" mid woofer and 2x7" woofer drivers whereas its stepup model i.e RTI A9 has 1x1" tweeter, 2x 5.25" mid woofers and 3x 7" Woofer drivers.

Last edited:
:sad: thats my budget for the entire system.. best recommended stuff here seems to be a NAD + warf or mission for my budget.. thought i wud at least get the emotiva (and a preamp later)..

hi, if budget is a constraint, your choice of a NAD amp and Mission M35i is an excellent choice. I have a NAD amp + M32i bookshelf and added a sub to it. For that money, it is a great setup. I feel your choice is good and M35i, i understand will produce descent bass to your liking. Good luck

swami

Hi Guys

I was planning on buying the mission m35i. Source is going to be my laptop with a creative soundcard.

One of my friends is going abroad. I wanted to know if it would be good idea to get him to pick up an emotiva UPA-2?? or is better to stick to NAD or norge integrateds?

No plans to add a sub for at least 1-2 years (no $$).. but i do like to listen good bassy music.. some other reco for the speakers will also be good.. my entire budget is around 40k (amp + speaker)

I used to own emotiva a while ago. Personally they are built for HT from my experience. The newer models including their CD players are turning out to be musical. Couple things to keep in mind -

The weight is high so make sure your friend can bring it down. Secondly, they seem to have some quality issues. This is growing pains for any company but somehow emo seems to have a slightly prolonged growing up period. They are excellent price to performance though but make sure its tested for a bit in the US before bringing it down if you want to go that route.

A very important point by Marsilians
Even if the product is in warranty sending it back to US and getting it back would make the whole damn thing useless due to the costs involved
I know you will get tempted seeing the prices but if it breaks down after it reaches India it will be a bigger headache for you

Why Emotiva? If getting an amp from abroad is the question, there are plenty of choices around...

Not heard Emotiva but mostly read that they are HT oriented...you may as well look for a VFM amp here like NAD (I use 320BEE and quite happy with it), CA or Norge (in you list)...and add a DAC as well...

Also consider other speaker options as well (unless you've already heard and liked the missions), I personally found the mission (m33i to be precise) a bit bright...most people complain of NAD being bright too so may not really map well....YMMD...i actually find NAD slightly warm (funny isnt it?) and it suits my taste...

please listen to the equipment before buying it...

Thanks all of you.. Looks like I'll have to do lots of hearing myself :).. The only ones I have auditioned till now are Polks(Prof FX) ,Jamos (s606 liked the bass but found it kinda loose) and Sonodyne 2605..

Was thinking b/w Mission and Warf as they are in my price range and seem to be forum fav's. Mission seemed to have a better bass (from reviews) so I thought that would be nice.. and now u tell me it's bright :sad: Have had enough of bright trebley music with my altec lansing 5021 can't take more..

The reason for thinking about emotiva is because of the awesome bang for buck and that Ill be moving to a big room (20' X 15').
I'll be mainly listening to trance and new age kinda stuff.. dhum dhum.. so thought more power wud be better..

Why Emotiva? If getting an amp from abroad is the question, there are plenty of choices around...

Not heard Emotiva but mostly read that they are HT oriented...you may as well look for a VFM amp here like NAD (I use 320BEE and quite happy with it), CA or Norge (in you list)...and add a DAC as well...

Also consider other speaker options as well (unless you've already heard and liked the missions), I personally found the mission (m33i to be precise) a bit bright...most people complain of NAD being bright too so may not really map well....YMMD...i actually find NAD slightly warm (funny isnt it?) and it suits my taste...

please listen to the equipment before buying it...

the missions are considered to be on the neutral to slightly brighter side and hence usually pair well with nad which is supposed to be warm.the m35i however,seem very neutral to me and are a very vfm f/s in my opinion.if you're not averse to the idea,go for the m35i and get a norge 2000 mosfet as amplification.am sure it will be a very satisfying,vfm solution for a 2ch setup.if u have analog outs on ur s/card,just connect the card analog out to the norge,use a player like foobar and am sure u will have a rockin,wallet friendly setup.cheers

i own an emotiva power amplifier i can vouch for its sound. For trance you dont need warm/bright but neutral and close to the orignal recording as per my experience i listen to mainly psy trance.

The horrendous quality problems emotiva had was mostly with their lmc-1 units ,amplifiers and other components are fine. If you do buy emo your friend can specify that its an international order and they will test the components thoroughly before shipping.

all the best

Yea will do that. But now it looks like I need to do some more work on the Floor Standers that I need to buy.

The m35i's seem to be on the brighter side. Any neutral ones that you could recommend I audition in the 25k range?

We seem to have too many bollywood/carnatic and no tiesto/goa fans :eek:hyeah: on the forum..

In fact when I had done a search for trance in the forums it looked like all the only trance related threads were by you :p

i own an emotiva power amplifier i can vouch for its sound. For trance you dont need warm/bright but neutral and close to the orignal recording as per my experience i listen to mainly psy trance.

The horrendous quality problems emotiva had was mostly with their lmc-1 units ,amplifiers and other components are fine. If you do buy emo your friend can specify that its an international order and they will test the components thoroughly before shipping.

all the best

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back