Enbee ZX 80 amplifier transistors blown up ... HELP!

rambo68

Hi
I'm new to this site and am really desperate!!
I've had an Enbee ZX 80 amplifier for the last 22 years and it's just died on me.
I gave it to a guy recommended to me by friends ( I live in Pondicherry) and he fiddled with it and returned it but it worked precisely 30 seconds till a loud humming noise started coming from one speaker. I took it back to the repair guy and he sat on it for a couple of weeks.

Picked it up again yesterday and he says he's changed the transistors but has no way of knowing the specs of the original transistors as the print on them is faded. He sounded pretty sure that it would blow up again and told me I should play it only at low volumes.

1. I'm now terrified of turning it on
2. I can't listen to music at low volumes
3.I'm slowly going into a depression

Does anyone here know which transistors this amp uses?? (I'm not ready to scrap it as I haven't heard anything yet that could replace it) or could someone suggest a place in Chennai who would be able to repair it for me

HELP!!!!!!!

I tried to search but could just get a review of Enbee amps by Business Today as under
"Enbee Audio
What: Stereo Amplifier 705 The venerable Y. M. Nakras custom-made systems have been knocking successive generations of audiophiles off their feet for 30 years. The system I was testing was one of Enbees two stereo amps the 705, coupled with its 775 stereo pre-amp. The Stones didnt fare that badly. The amp boomed the rhythm section to the stars, while Mick Jaggers voice sparkled on the mid-range. This powerful amp coupled with Nakras custom-made speaker section humbled me with its expansive sound.
Price: On request
Available at: By order

You can try by contacting the above number, if they can help you out!

Hi
I'm new to this site and am really desperate!!
I've had an Enbee ZX 80 amplifier for the last 22 years and it's just died on me.
I gave it to a guy recommended to me by friends ( I live in Pondicherry) and he fiddled with it and returned it but it worked precisely 30 seconds till a loud humming noise started coming from one speaker. I took it back to the repair guy and he sat on it for a couple of weeks.

Picked it up again yesterday and he says he's changed the transistors but has no way of knowing the specs of the original transistors as the print on them is faded. He sounded pretty sure that it would blow up again and told me I should play it only at low volumes.

1. I'm now terrified of turning it on
2. I can't listen to music at low volumes
3.I'm slowly going into a depression

Does anyone here know which transistors this amp uses?? (I'm not ready to scrap it as I haven't heard anything yet that could replace it) or could someone suggest a place in Chennai who would be able to repair it for me

HELP!!!!!!!

i can share clear pics of the transistors whats app me on 9899100151

On another note, output transistor failure can have various root causes. When trouble shooting an amplifier with blown output transistors, a common path modern techies use is to assume that the transistors over heated or there was a speaker short circuit. More often than not, they simply replace the blown transistors and return the amp. Output transistors can also fail due to biasing issues and even things like micro-fractures in the PCB around the driver and pre-driver stages of the power amp. Hence, a complete check-up is required and not just an output transistor replacement. On another note, it is not difficult to find equivalents for output transistors. Brands like Enbee, Norge, Cosmic, EMI Sonic, Murphy, Nelco, HMV, etc used mostly commonly available components (in India) during those times. A knowledgeable tech could even prescribe substitutes based on the powersupply voltage (and current), the bias circuitry and the output wattage specs. But having the original transistor replacements, is always an advantage. Have the amplifier checked properly though, even if you use the exact replacements or the output transistors can blow again if the root cause is not addressed. All the very best.

Back