Entry Level Digital Media Player

vemind

Hi all; I have about 1 TB of movie downloads; mostly Hollywood. I have stored these on an external portable HDD formatted in NTFS format.

I would like to view these movies on the TV thru the Yamaha AVR. Could you please recommend a reasonably priced digital media player which can take input from the existing HDD and give output to the Yamaha AVR?

thanks all!

Hi all; I have about 1 TB of movie downloads; mostly Hollywood. I have stored these on an external portable HDD formatted in NTFS format.

I would like to view these movies on the TV thru the Yamaha AVR. Could you please recommend a reasonably priced digital media player which can take input from the existing HDD and give output to the Yamaha AVR?

thanks all!

What format are they in? You have a fair number of options depending on budget and feature set.

If AVI or WMV then Oppo 980 can play these via its front USB.

Roku HD1000 player

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player

TViX HD Network Media Player

Otherwise if your computer has a decent card with HDMI or DVI out, it can play as well.

What format are they in? You have a fair number of options depending on budget and feature set.

If AVI or WMV then Oppo 980 can play these via its front USB.

Roku HD1000 player

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player

TViX HD Network Media Player

Otherwise if your computer has a decent card with HDMI or DVI out, it can play as well.

Marsilians; most of the files are in .MPG or .AVI format. I am easily able to play these on my computer using VLC Player or any other free media player.

I am wondering if there are any digital media players which have the drivers and decoders built in, but read the external NTFS drives. that way, I feel, I can keep adding HDD capacity, and retain the basic digital media player.
What do you think?

thanks.

Spirovious; thanks. Does it make sense to invest in a PS3? it will give me a Blueray player, a built-in HDD for digital media (albeit small capacity) and not sure if it takes external HDD inputs?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Well PS3 is option for good upscaling device for DVD,playback of Blueray & gaming.It cannot decode HD aud,it pass in HDMI & avr decodes.

In media player ,you have many opt.
Playing HD,FLAC,1080p output,can be upgraded by software,last long as no lens issue.

Image Q of PS3 better than Tvix,but you dont get much options too.
So think of your need & decide.Reviews of 6500 r good.

check this newone-http://www.jaymm.co.in/r2200.html

Both marsilians and spiro are right. For my money the options would be a DVD player firstly and if you are looking for formats/codecs the DVDP does not handle like .mkv and other HD rips then a PS3 is the best option. You can upgrade the HDD in the PS3 itself so don't need an external HDD though you can connect external HDD via USB and the PS3 does handle all formats/codecs. Finally in terms of cost/price factor too the PS3 wins and it is upgradeable with firmware updates in the long run too.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back