Epson 6100 or 8200 for a dedicated HT room

skjain

Hi all..I am in the process of setting up a dedicated HT room...the room size is 15ft * 11 Ft; but I can project the image only on the side wall i.e. from the 11 ft distance...I am looking to project an image of atleast 100 inch diagonal

The projector choice has got me worried...the price here in mumbai for tw-8200 is ~Rs2 lakh and of tw-6200 is Rs 1.15 lac...I am wondering if i shud spend the extra 85K in tw-8200 or just go for 8200? I have the option of getting a projector from the US also, but I guess the price difference on Epson will not be much...

Can anyone throw a light (pun intended!) on the better choice for a small room like mine? what wud be the apparent advantages of spending extra 85K in tw-8200, or tw-6100 wud just b fine for my purpose?

Why not go for a side by side demo of both???

Fairdeal electronics has both set-up for side by side demo in their demo room. Meet Imran & he will give you demo of both till you are satisfied & get a good understanding of both models, the details of which Imran will share with you.

My personal pref is the 8200, hands down!!! You will realise why when you take demo of the same.

:)

I am pretty satisfy with 6100...how ever you have to decide as both are excellent..... i was in same dilemma but went for 6100 ...price quoted by you in higher side....But Imran can give you good rates..

Some people can see a difference, some people cannot. Do only what your eyes tell u to do. Some of our FMs have taken side by side audition and couldn't tell any difference between 6100 and 8100. Some people swear by it. You decide. I'm extremely happy with my 6100 though.
Whatever it is, do not forget to post your true observations after your audition - it'll help many.

Fairdeal has 8100 and not 8200 when I checked last week.
If it is a dedicated room then 8200 should be one of the best based on what the 8100 can do.

When you audition make sure you cycle through the preset picture modes and spend some time in the Movie, Cinema and Rec 709 modes. View them with lights on and off. There are other minor settings to play with but Movie mode should get you closer to what you will watch most of the time with blu-ray (assuming you will have one).

If you get 8100 at a good price buy it. I didn't find one before I purchased the 6100 last month. I am addicted to deep blacks having a Panasonic 50GT50 plasma, an extinct species now, so compared the 8200 with the 6100 in a dedicated dark room. The 8200 was better at black levels only but not worth the 85 grand premium. Would have bought it if it was 1.5 lacs. It would be much cheaper to purchase good quality dark coloured drapes or curtains and a good screen to improve black levels by preventing reflections from light coloured walls.

Thanks guys..I did go for the demo today...as far as I am concerned, the 8200 won hands down due to its deep black levels...my wife just cudnt notice the difference though (and at one point said that looks like 6100 is better!!!)..

While the movie being played was from a blue ray disc. i had carried my own hard disk with downloaded movies (since 9 out of ten times, I am likely to play downloaded movies than blue ray ones)...the difference between the two projectors was much more noticeable..the 8200 (in the dark room) was like playing an LED tv; and the 6100's picture was washed (one could make out that the 6100 picture was from a 'projector', but the 8200 was producing near LED tv quality)

However, I am still not able to justify to myself the huge price difference between the two projectors...the premium is huge as compared to the difference in PQ (though some may have a different view)..So I am still undecided and giving myself more time to think..:confused::confused::confused:

Any help in deciding??:cool:

:D 8200, 8200, 8200 :lol:

Jokes aside, you should buy what will keep you happier in the long run, else the feeling of regret might creep in quite soon ;)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back